School clothes

Tntaglia

We are not in Australia yet but hope to be there within the next few months. Planning to put the kids in public school. We have a school in mind (met with the principal when we were there in October, seems like a good fit) and I'm looking at the uniform. The description online says they will need long sleeve white shirts for under the tunic in winter, and also need black school shoes ("not joggers"). Are these the same as the shirts and shoes that we use in SA? Because the prices on the uniform shop website seem pretty high, so if I can buy those here we may save a bit. Does anyone know? 

See if there are photos on the school website to double check what the shirts look like.  Sometimes the collar is different and is a school by school thing. The school shoes are the black leather type that we know but again check school website for photos or perhaps a uniform policy document because at some schools both girls and boys wear lace ups and you don't want to by t-bar or Mary Jane style and then not be able to wear them. "Joggers" are running shoes /takkies and are worn for PE days (together with sport uniform). They usually have to mainly white with no prominent brand names but again the uniform policy document will guide you. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RYLC said:

See if there are photos on the school website to double check what the shirts look like.  Sometimes the collar is different and is a school by school thing. The school shoes are the black leather type that we know but again check school website for photos or perhaps a uniform policy document because at some schools both girls and boys wear lace ups and you don't want to by t-bar or Mary Jane style and then not be able to wear them. "Joggers" are running shoes /takkies and are worn for PE days (together with sport uniform). They usually have to mainly white with no prominent brand names but again the uniform policy document will guide you. 

Thank you, this is very helpful

Definitely get shoes in SA, maybe even one size bigger :-)  Decent leather shoes here are well over $100, so any thing you can save the better. 

• Thanks 1

Many schools now require "closed in shoes"  for  "health & safety reasons", so they can't have those ones with the strap across for girls. Check with the school what their requirements are before you buy a bunch of shoes.

Have a look here for designs & prices:

https://www.williamsshoes.com.au/Kids/shop-by-category/school/

On ‎2018‎/‎01‎/‎23 at 1:10 PM, Tntaglia said:

We are not in Australia yet but hope to be there within the next few months. Planning to put the kids in public school. We have a school in mind (met with the principal when we were there in October, seems like a good fit) and I'm looking at the uniform. The description online says they will need long sleeve white shirts for under the tunic in winter, and also need black school shoes ("not joggers"). Are these the same as the shirts and shoes that we use in SA? Because the prices on the uniform shop website seem pretty high, so if I can buy those here we may save a bit. Does anyone know? 

thx for the question ! had the same thing on my mind!!:)

I would bring SA school shirts and shoes.  School clothes here are very expensive.  Normal clothes are the same prices as in South Africa.  They also do not seem to have second hand school clothes here.  The schools also seem a lot more relaxed about the school uniform.  If the shirt is a little bit wrong, I do not think they would complain.  Your children might refuse to wear it, but the school might be fine......

6 minutes ago, FromDurbs said:

I would bring SA school shirts and shoes.

Please check with the school you plan to attend before doing this as uniforms differ from school to school.  Some boys high schools wear grey trousers while others wear navy or even beige. Same with the shoes.  You may think that you can't go wrong with black leather shoes, but some schools wear brown leather shoes.  Also many schools require girls to wear lace-ups and not t bar / strap shoes. Also some schools have summer shirts that are worn hanging out and the shirt has a type of waistband. The Saffa shirts won't be able to be worn this way with ugly shirt tails. So you could well be buying the wrong thing and wasting money.

Independent schools are actually quite particular about their uniforms (even down to logo socks) so please don't assume that sort of similar will do. The best thing to do is to search the school website for a uniform policy or to contact the school for guidance on all this.  To my mind it does matter that a child can blend in by having the same uniform as everybody else. 

8 minutes ago, FromDurbs said:

They also do not seem to have second hand school clothes here.

Between Gumtree and on-site uniform shops that some schools run, it is easy to get second hand school uniforms.  The school will be able to tell you where to find those.

• Like 1

Just went to buy my son's school uniform yesterday and yes, very expensive (e.g. $80 for a jersey ...... ouch!) He is in year 9 and going to a government school. I would buy shoes in SA but first check on the shirts, socks and bags. His school has a logo on the shorts, pants and school bag.