Shopping before we move

Tntaglia

On 2/2/2018 at 5:02 PM, RedPanda said:

The sooner you 'go local' the better it'll be for you.

I always chuckle when people recommend bringing stuff like Sunlight liquid or specific South African brands.... like really.... you're going to be here for longer than a month!  My wife and I both love doing grocery shopping as even after 8 months we're still discovering cool new products.

• Like 2

I think what also plays a big role here is the gap before your container arrives. There are certain things you need to have asap like a washing machine. So my question is what things did you absolutely HAVE to have in that interim period. That helps me figure out what to sell here. I really don't want to take a washing machine only to then buy another one.

@TamTam

It really depends on how you plan to live before your container arrives.  Some people stay where they are while the container is on its way and then arrive just before the container.   Some people live in furnished accommodation until the container arrives.  Some people get their rental asap and then hire furniture for a month.  Some people get their rental asap and then camp on bare basics (pretty popular - but by the time the furniture arrives you never want to see another blow up mattress).  Some people tap into the local community and borrow basics.   Some people phone a friend and get stuff lent to them.  Some people shop on gumtree (also pretty popular - but a bit time consuming and hit and miss as to what you get).

In terms of whether a washing machine is essential, you can go to the local laundromat and use that for a period of time.  Although whether there is a laundromat in your chosen area depends on the demographics of your chosen neighbourhood.  If you decide to buy a machine off gumtree until yours arrives be aware that unless it is in a condition where you can sell it again, disposing of whitegoods can incur a charge from council unless you wait until the hard collection rolls around and you can put it on the pavement.

We had the benefit of having my office pay a relocation allowance and we had two weeks furnished accommodation while we found a rental and then rented furniture until the container arrived.  We rented beds (we brought linen in our suitcases but could have rented that), a table and 4 chairs, a kitchen set (knives, forks, spoons, plates, glasses, pans, kettle, toaster, utensils), a TV, a couch.  We didn't rent a washing machine - we were really lucky that our rental came with a washing machine (but not common) - but I would have used a laundromat until my machine arrived.  Others on a tighter budget have bought blow up mattresses, camp chairs, cheap kitchenware (Ikea or Kmart) all of which can be used for camping afterwards.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TamTam said:

I think what also plays a big role here is the gap before your container arrives. There are certain things you need to have asap like a washing machine. So my question is what things did you absolutely HAVE to have in that interim period. That helps me figure out what to sell here. I really don't want to take a washing machine only to then buy another one.

It's really hard to say. It depends where you'll be staying, friends, AirBnb, hotel, share house??? The different states also have slightly different ideas about what a flat should come with.

• Like 1

Yeah I think I need to pause for now and wait till I have more details. I think on arrival in Oz we would likely stay with buddies / airbnb / furnished apartment.