HOUSE FOR SALE : Sunbury Victoria

Mara

Our home will be going on the market at the end of January 2018. If you are interested in living in Sunbury Victoria, then by all means you are welcome to come and have a look. Hubby and I would love for it to go to another South African couple, it would feel like we are leaving it in good hands.

If you would like a description, please send me a PM and I will send it to you.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

• Mara pinned this topic

Oh Mara, I knew it was on the cards but it will be a sad day.   Very happy for you both though.  

@TeeTMI thanks Tee, what will be, will be, it has to sell first! :D

Are you off travelling Mara?

@TamTam Hehe, I wish...

We are dual citizens, Australia/New Zealand. We had always said that when we came to retirement, we would like to move back to NZ. Our eldest son still lives in Auckland, and claims we abandoned him 20 years ago when we moved to Australia. He says it is his time now :rolleyes:

I retired 4 years ago, hubby is still working full time. We are not sure yet when we will actually make the move, but we wish to sell our home to invest in property north of Auckland. We may well just move to the south east side of Melbourne in the meantime, closer to hubby's work, and rent there. The other consideration is a 17 year old kitty cat, who does not like change..., fortunately there is no quarantine between Australia and NZ.

That sounds like a great next adventure! Good luck with the house sale.

Does that mean you'll be leaving as host??!?!?

@TamTam hehe, good question. When I suggested that I would leave as a host, I was told I could become the official NZ host. As I have been away from NZ, except as a visitor, for 20 years, I am not sure what information I would be able to help with... but we will see.

Jeez @Mara you must be really confused when watching the rugby 4 nations championship. The only team you can’t support is Argentina.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fortunately for me, does not matter who wins, I win :D Never confused, we are not a sporting family, hubby was a water skier, but no longer....

Then I’m afraid you can’t go back to NZ. You’ll have nothing to talk about or watch on TV.

@SimpleSimon hehe! Our reason for returning to NZ is to be closer to our oldest son who lives in Auckland.

Just a photo, to see what it looks like:

5a5fcf245f51e_012(2).thumb.jpg.8ccf3f168d1960d03957cb0e4823339b.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful. Good luck for the sale. 

For anyone considering Sunbury, I would recommend looking at this house (if it's in your price range) because Australia definitely has a different building style to South Africa, including the layout. The things we found strangest about Aussie homes: main bedroom is on the street side, often directly by the front door. Guest toilets are just stuffed into any little available space, often on the other side of a laundry. Inadequate storage.

Mara's house suffers none of these defects. Just saying... :D 

• Haha 1

• Mara unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Just to close the subject the house is sold, for the price we wanted, and went unconditional yesterday.

We close on the 24th July 2018 (buyers asked, we were happy - hubby has a lot of work ahead to clear out his shed).

Unless something untoward happens, we will be departing for New Zealand on the 26th July 2018!

Including Lucy, our 18 year old cat!

• Like 4

Congratulations Mara - I hope everything goes without any hitches.  That is a nice time frame to work with.

Unconditionally as well - well done they can obviously see the time and effort you have put into your home.

• Like 2

Sad to see you leave, Mara.

But hoping that it will be a great new chapter in your lives!

• Like 1

Congratulations Mara! You'll be missed! You are a beacon of light for so many.

Hi @Mara

That is such good news but also sad! You have done so much for such a lot of South african people moving to Australia!
Sorry we will miss each other as we will only arrive in Jan 2019. 

You were so incredibly generous with your wealth of information and taking us through the lovely Sunbury and you welcomed us into your lovely house on our trip to melbourne - I will never forget what you did for us!

Good luck with packing and sorting out the last things before moving! 

• Like 1

@Andriette1305

Thank you for your lovely compliment and wishes for us!

I guess I will not disappear from the forum completely... but my thoughts are to just become a "retired host", (or a really tired host :D). As I get to know New Zealand all over again, perhaps I will be able to assist people who are planning on settling there.

Of course, any forumite who finds themselves near us in New Zealand, would always be welcome to drop in for a coffee!

I have been doing this for 24,5 years, ever since we first landed in Auckland, and well before the internet came into being! The migration agent that helped us get into NZ, used me to guide the others that followed and to make them feel at home!

I think it is time I sat back and let the younger people take over!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 8:30 AM, Mara said:

I think it is time I sat back and let the younger people take over!

Nope, its time you sit back and enjoy a well-deserved rest. 

• Thanks 1