457 to PR

CTtoAus

Question

Hi all,

I would appreciate some clarity around the changes in legislation that would impact the time that one needs to spend to get PR on a 457.

From my understanding, the current situation is that one needs to be in Australia for 4 years with one of those on a PR visa before you can get citizenship.

I have, however, read that this might change in June 2018.  Has this been confirmed?  If so, what are the new rules?

We are considering going over on a 457 and are in the process of applying for a 190 visa, so would like to understand how long in total we will need to be in Australia after the 190 comes through.

2 answers to this question

As I understand it there was a proposal that you needed to be in Australia 4 years on PR to qualify for citizenship.  However, the proposal was not passed in parliament.  I have no idea whether they are still pursuing the change or whether the status quo will apply. 

• Thanks 1

The government is still pursuing the changes it wished to bring to the requirements for Citizenship.  They are aiming for July 2018, my understanding is that they are aiming for similar requirements, including the 4 years as a permanent resident.  However, until we see the Bill, and then any adjustments they are required for it to be passed, it is difficult to say what will eventuate. 

With regard to the clarity about moving from a 457 to PR given the changes last year it is difficult to generalise as the various new introductions that came in this year have made it more complex and the situation varies depending upon a range of factors, such as occupation, when you received your 457 etc - plus we are expecting more changes early next year that may further impact this potential pathway.

• Thanks 1