Ozzie life soon to start.

Marmotte

@Marmotte I haven't even thought about license "types". Hubby and I both have EB i.e. can drive car plus small trailer. Is that standard in Oz or is it a special license? 

On 2/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, Tntaglia said:

I haven't even thought about license "types". Hubby and I both have EB i.e. can drive car plus small trailer. Is that standard in Oz or is it a special license?

(This info is particular to NSW)

Class C 

Vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM). Vehicles that seat up to 12 adults, including the driver. A Class C license allows you to drive cars, utes, vans, some light trucks, car-based motor tricycles, tractors, and implements such as graders.

https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/~/view/regulation/2017/450/part2

Authorisation to tow trailers and semi-trailers
(cf 2008 Reg cl 8)
(1)  The holder of a car licence or light rigid vehicle licence may drive a motor vehicle covered by that licence class that is towing a single trailer with a GVM not greater than 9 tonnes, but only if:
(a)  in the case of a motor vehicle that has a GVM of up to 4.5 tonnes, the requirements of any law in force in this State in relation to the mass limits for combinations of light vehicles are met, or
(b)  in the case of a motor vehicle that has a GVM greater than 4.5 tonnes, the mass limits for combinations specified by or under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (NSW) are met.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Applied for medicare about two weeks ago. 

What I needed.

South African passport

An electronic copy of my VISA 189

You do not need Aussie drivers license to do this. So this can be done ASAP. 

While waiting for RSA Drivers license certification letter from embassy, describe earlier in this post. 

Also, if you going to get private medical aid, ask them for a letter confirming you applied for medicare, this will help with your application. Haven't done this yet..

Got medicare card ( one week after applying)

Then, off to go and do Tax nr.

What I needed for application for Tax Nr. 

SA passport

Aussie Drivers license

Aussie medicare card

You need these identification document/cards to apply for your TAX nr called TFN (you need 3 forms of identification to apply) 

TFN can be done at the post office. I suggest to choose a post office that is in a mall, as I find them more organize that out in a suburb.

The lady at the post office was very helpful,  as I needed to complete the form on the web site below, this will generate a bar coded email that they need to scan to complete application.

Well I did not pitch with that and she gave me access to it on the web. The rest was simple process, they will scan you signature and give you a receipt to proof application. You also will have the email 

https://smarteform.com.au/onlineforms/ato/tax-file-number-application-or-enquiry-for-individuals/  Do this before going to post office and have it on your smart phone email and they can scan bar code, otherwise need to print 

it.

This process is free of charge and you don't need anybody to help and pay them. Very easy process.

No work as yet, but applying as job comes along. In fact applying for another one as we speak.

So far with technology the misses and myself are coping and 6 week past since I arrived. 

Well ....

Gday Mate, see ya later.....

• Like 2

On 3/9/2018 at 2:03 PM, Marmotte said:

TFN can be done at the post office

Obviously you won't have to ever do this again, but you can apply for a TFN online and they will mail you the TFN number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Obviously you won't have to ever do this again, but you can apply for a TFN online and they will mail you the TFN number

Chris you hit the nail on the head, you are correct in your statement. It's a case someone tells you do this and the process is fairly simple and you just do it.

But I will update my post above to reflect this option too. Thanks for your input.

Update as per Chris comment. Will update here, can't edit previous post... sure I was able to do it previously.

For Tax number you can also apply electronically for your TFN.

https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=5&outcome=2&key=31b22b1c-3307-41e0-a0f0-fdddf3bb49c5

Just read and click on next ... I did not follow this procedure so don't know the end state, but it should be pretty much the same as you will

receive your TFN in 28 days and it seem to use your passport and I expect your VISA number.

Thank Chris 

• Thanks 1

Update:

One week later and letter arrived in post with TFN, all done.

• Like 1

On 12/03/2018 at 8:54 AM, ChrisH said:

Obviously you won't have to ever do this again, but you can apply for a TFN online and they will mail you the TFN number.

That's how we did it, in Victoria. But it's important to note that even though you can do it online, you have to apply from within Australia. It does not allow you to do it from overseas.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Update. 

Apologies for being off the radar. 

I am still in Auz country and still giving it a shot. I am still job hunting. I must confess that I am in a very fortunate position to work back remotely to SA, (at least a perk for IT), until I find I job here.

Many lessons learned and I am going to rather start a new thread, as the title is a bit out dated. 

created new topic and will carry on from there.

Edited by Marmotte
adding link
  • Like 1