Ozzie life soon to start.

Marmotte

5 minutes ago, dlmonnink said:

You'll find if you are not a name brand fan you can buy your daily clothing at kmart/target for between $1 - $30.

Kewl, then kmart/target it is. :P. Looks like I have to bring a suit over. 

3 minutes ago, Marmotte said:

Kewl, then kmart/target it is. :P. Looks like I have to bring a suit over. 

You don't have to but I found it convenient as it was one less thing I had to worry about when I got here. You might think it simple to just go buy one after you land but the other things like "where is the shop" and "how do I get there without a car, phone, GPS etc" really ruins the process :P

• Thanks 1

Yes, make sense. Suppose there would be a couple of things that would be better just to have with you. Other stuff you can get later.

Just to add to this...

You should never pay full price for anything in Australia.  Almost every shop will have massive sales at least once a quarter, usually monthly.  The work shirts I wear were all marked down from $99 to 3 for $100.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisH said:

Just to add to this...

You should never pay full price for anything in Australia.  Almost every shop will have massive sales at least once a quarter, usually monthly.  The work shirts I wear were all marked down from $99 to 3 for $100.

And further to this, almost every shop in Aus seems to be advertising 50%+ off all the time so don't get suckered in when you land. Get to learn the prices so you can realise when things are truly on special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2018 at 8:08 PM, Marmotte said:

Just for interest, what would an ebike set you back in Oz?

@Marmotte my eBike cost ~ $3K. See: http://www.99bikes.com.au/bikes/electric

• Thanks 1

I spent 700 on a mountain bike then fitted my own electric kit for around another 700, so $1400 all up

• Thanks 1

Yeah I’ve seen the kits. My research indicated I would be constantly frustrated- not enough power and not enough battery life. I’ve been saving up my pocket money for years and I rather spend more money on things that will give me pleasure.

• Haha 1

Great stuff guys, this could save you a couple of $AUD's. My wife also laughs, cause I also have these DIY projects that are apparently cheaper:D Sometimes it comes off and sometimes it just flops.:ph34r::P

My whole life I’ve tried to get bargains. Inevitably it ends in tears for me.

• Haha 1

:D Well, hopefully, we can catch up and share our failed bargain/DIY projects over a cycle ride maybe and a coffee. :cowboy:

On 2018/01/08 at 11:21 AM, Nev said:

I spent 700 on a mountain bike then fitted my own electric kit for around another 700, so $1400 all up

So Nev, how did your DIY project go? Was it worth it and long have you been using this setup?

It was easy enough, all clips together

I have had it for a few months now and no dramas, I get about 30 on a flat with no pedaling, I haven't had much use of it as work is keeping me busy 7 days a week at the moment 

• Thanks 1

In @Jordy post a very very long time ago.

in the "Shutting up Shop" process section he mentions documents that would be needed. Don't want to repeat and what is obviously already mentioned, but are there new documents or additional that would be needed. eg.

• A letter from the medical Aid stating the number of years you have been a member.
  • Latest full medical checkup report. Maybe, Maybe not:ph34r:

Let me know if there would be any other docs you would suggest to bring along. I will amend this post and add it.

Edited by Marmotte
added info

• 2 weeks later...

Time is near ...  What cellphone networks work best in Sydney and surrounding areas? Currently, have a cell nr though Optus. 

Update:

Arrived in Sydney on Friday. Wanted to apply for my NSW driver's license conversion on Saturday. I was told they cannot validate my driver's license as they do not
have the necessary documentation ( A BIG book) that they can use to validate the license. It seems some manage to get there license without this letter, but it seems they want to enforce this now,

due to the fact of fake licenses on SA side.

So, I phone the consulate today Monday 29th January 2018 and was told to email my request to Roshini Barrett.

I Should most probably create a separate Topic for this as this can save people some time and can sort this out in South Africa before they come to NSW.

I receive a response back from them a couple of hours later with this reply.

Good day

Could you kindly post a certified copy of your passport or ID book and driver's license to the High Commission at the address mentioned below in order for us to issue you with a letter.

Please include a self-addressed return envelope.

Regards

Roshini Barrett

South African High Commission

State Circle

Yarralumla, ACT 2600

Canberra, Australia

Phone: 02 6272 7336

Email: barretr@dirco.gov.za

I would just try to go to a different Service NSW. Maybe try Hornsby?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vitchie said:

I would just try to go to a different Service NSW. Maybe try Hornsby?

They loaded me on the system with a reference number. So I suspect that they will see that pending documents are outstanding.

From what I've read on the Facebook groups, it's pretty much uniformly applied in NSW now, but the process you described of sending docs to the high commission with a return envelope seems to work really well (a couple of days to get it back).

• Thanks 1

If there is anybody out there that would like more trivial information eg. Cost of shirts or pants or food etc. Let me know I can always look/ask around as I go about my business.

What I discovered so far that helps with life in general.

Get to know the public transport. In Sydney get yourself an Opal card eg. Adult and children cards, you load it and tab on/off from busses, ferries, trains. There are Max charges for the day and weekly commute and on Sundays, it's only $A2.60 hop on/off as much as you like per person.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/opal_for_visitors/

"Office works",  If you need to copy/scan documents or internet access. This can then be printed or emailed.  Buy office works card, load money on it and bring USB with doc's on it, Select and print BW or Colour.  Also good for school stuff, printers cartridges etc.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/

If possible mountain bikes. Just so much to explore and will keep you and family busy for hours. Cycle pathways and parks are plentiful. A good way to transport around.

getgo,  They are more expensive than renting a car, but way less fuss once you are set up to use it and only need it for a few hours. At this moment, I do not need a car for now, but sometimes you need to pack some stuff and take it to another house or bus to far and need a bit more flexibility etc. The idea how it works, have the getgo smart card, look for a vehicle close to you. (app will show you) book the vehicle on your app, get to car and swipe card on window with sensor, this will open vehicle with the key inside. The only drawback, need to bring the car back to where you found it. Cannot leave it at destination point (as yet).  If you use getgo wisely it could cost you way less then renting a car that could stand for long periods not getting used.

https://www.goget.com.au/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update

That took a bit longer than expected. I had my CV formatted from SA format to Aus format and that includes the Cover letter. This was completed last night by

Roz Fisher

https://www.facebook.com/ResumesEtc.Roz.Fisher/?ref=bookmarks

You can go to the site above to find pricing, she sends you a quote. She also updates LinkedIn Profiles, which I am due for.

Regarding the resume,  she did an awesome job, seeing that my CV looked like a hoarder's house, it's now nice and clean.  :P

Today I applied for my first position and will see how that goes and if it needs tweaking. She does so at no extra charge.

In the meantime, I am waiting for the return of my letter from the Embassy to validate drivers license.

Edited by Marmotte

Update

On 1/29/2018 at 3:45 PM, Marmotte said:

Arrived in Sydney on Friday. Wanted to apply for my NSW driver's license conversion on Saturday. I was told they cannot validate my driver's license as they do not
have the necessary documentation ( A BIG book) that they can use to validate the license. It seems some manage to get there license without this letter, but it seems they want to enforce this now,

due to the fact of fake licenses on SA side.

Some good news on Valentine's day. I received my driver's validation letter from the South African Embassy today. So about a week there and back. Now, let see if they except it.

Hopefully, I can do this tomorrow.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:13 PM, Marmotte said:

Thanks, Guys. Your input is appreciated. The better half cannot join me now, even if she wanted too and will be for some time.  As time is running out on our visas we had to make this call.

At least we don't have kids, as this will be more complicated.

There are Pros and Cons to both arguments "with or without":blink: I just don't have a choice in the matter. :P

@dlmonnink

But, I think I am also on the point of view, for one person to come over and try to get everything in order. At least that way one partner still have an income in a familiar environment

and it is not two times nothing:D. The partner can also help to fund some of the expenses as this will be a costly exercise. The offer for the person to help me is greatly valued.

The Biggest aspect is going to be the separation of your loved one and as much as I am premediating it to prepare myself mentally, I don't think I really know just how much that is going to affect me. I think it is an important issue to discuss, as I go along this journey to report back (be honest) so that others can learn from my experiences, just as everybody else here contributes to their experiences. This is what this forum is all about after all.

Hi Guys,

Just heard my name used in the first post on this thread .....    (not really, but saw I was referenced.)

Anyway, I came out 6 months ahead of the wife and family. I think it was a good thing, because the wife can be terribly negative when she feels like it. This way, she came out, and there was a house, all set up, with utilities, and internet and water and ... and ... and

She was near to her parents in RSA and they lent her a lot of support with the move and the kids.

I emailed almost every day with little anecdotes and stories about what I found different or strange - just small things, and by the time she got here she was really keen to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that OubaasDik, so we do sort of the samet thing, using whatup,  we have what I termed "open line", nearly like Open Mike on radio, people can talk about anything.

So we would just put on whatup, video or vioce,  and then she goes on about her business and I go on about mine, then every now then there are interuption of something that either happen that side or this side. This can go on for 2 hours, like sitting in the family room at home each with there own and every now and then we engage:ph34r::wub::D

Its obviously not prefect, but its help alot. Last Sunday, I just watch her fall asleep on her afternoon nap, while I was working my on laptop, just like at home, well maybe not, but it was still a good feeling.:)

• Like 1

Another update. Converting Drivers license:

This is the process I followed to convert RSA drivers license to NSW, Australia license.

I will use the same posting I made on another topic

This has been the policy in NSW for some time, but apparently were not strictly enforced. This would be the standard procedure going forward and they are now enforcing it.

• Colour copy of passport and drivers license. (Office Works for copying) Also, Take a memory stick with, they can put it on the memory stick for you to print at a later stage if needed.
  • Certified at Police Station, This was done within 30 minutes. I wanted to certify it here, cause just now there might be an issue with a certifying copy done in South Africa and it is easy to do.
  • Buy a "Big envelope" to put the doc below into it
  • Copy of certified Passport
  • Copy of certified Drivers license
  • An empty self-addressed envelope (Address where you currently staying or going to receiving mail) this would be smaller,  than the envelope above, as it would just contain the Validation letter ( get this all at the post office)
  • Send it via post office to the address below.

This now seems like standard procedure with our Embassy.  I did not even include a letter,  requesting drivers license validation, however, I did email them and this procedure was sent to me above. So, you could also send an email to the emial below just to create an electronic footprint.

Roshini Barrett

South African High Commission

State Circle

Yarralumla, ACT 2600

Canberra, Australia

Phone: 02 6272 7336

Email: barretr@dirco.gov.za

Received letter about a week later, not sure if this is standard time.

The letter was excepted. Converted my Car "C" and Motorbike "R" directly, no testing necessary,  but not my Heavy Duty license "EC":P:rolleyes:, would need to be retested for that, if you want it.:ph34r:

You will be asked for 1, 3 or 5-year,  license and it will cost more for 5 years than 3 years. So,  3 years cost me A$ 134 + $A 5 for an extra photo card too, like ID in SA. Were thinking in the event that I lost my drivers, I would still have ID card for identification. You will receive a piece of paper and two weeks later they will mail you the cards to you separately.

I would file paper as I understand that you can drive for 3 months on you current RSA license, cause within two weeks you would have it anyway, just one less piece of paper to carry around.

Let me know if something is unclear so I can tweak it.

Anybody know how to update TAGS, to this topic, want to add license.??

Edited by Marmotte
  • Like 1