Ozzie life soon to start.

Marmotte

This might not be the right Topic place to start, as I am not yet in Aus, but would like to use this as a sort of journal to others that would have to go through the same journey.  (Please advise if I need to move/split off)

We got our 189 PR in Jan 2014, circumstances prevented us from leaving SA to date, but now it is time to move on, although I am doing it alone for now. My wife will join later.

So, the plan is to leave at the end of January for Sydney. Obviously many things to think about. My attempt will be sort of similar to vitchie and many others  http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/47651-honest-opinions-will-i-fail-or-get-over-my-attitude/?page=0#comment-436947

As I read his post, I could feel the emotions, the doubts to an extent,  as we all have been through some form of new experience. That being said, nothing as BIG as leaving your wife and kids behind and heading for a completely foreign country. 

At least we don't have kids, which makes it less complicated.

So with this introduction,  I would just like to thank, some long-serving members and other contributors. As I read, once more through the various post's,  you just realize all of your participation in so many posts and I salute you for that, cause it is priceless and so is every other member out there who takes time to contribute.  Thank you, in no particular order :D Mara  SurferMan  HadEnoughofJuju  OubaasDik HansaPlease RedPanda Riekie Eva and Jordy site admin and also to all other members for your views and opinions.

Where many went there ways (myself) included for some time, you kept the light on. :P

I am going to Aus,  knowing it does not come with any guarantees, that I will shed tears:ph34r:,:ph34r:  yeah, just because, men should not cry (NOT),  with no sense of entitlement. But with Faith in God and a thankful spirit, I dare to try,

so that there are a lot less "if only" " I should have at least"

To future postings and may the journey continue.

• Like 5

@Marmotte I wish you a safe and happy landing and that everything will fall into place for you upon arrival!

• Like 2

Thanks Mara

• Like 1

@Marmotte,

Also had to leave my wife(& son) behind for 7 weeks.....best decision ever to just settle in and get to know how things work.

Have faith (Jer 29:11) and be positive, we have all done this....One year later and we are now all settled best decision ever! We are in the Sutherland Shire area Caringbah/Cronulla, 4 km's away from the beach loving life!

Give me a shout if you need any advice ;)

Cheers

G

• Like 1

Shout out if you need help or advice or someone to talk to ;) And best of luck with your journey.

• Like 1

@Marmotte A couple of times my wife and I were apart for work reasons for extended periods. I think it was good for the marriage. Do you have a job in Sydney and where do you plan to settle?

• Like 1

Thanks, everybody for your encouragement, going to need it along the way.

@Geite, Thanks, Mate I live by that and will make contact.

@SimpleSimon, Ok here is a plan and various options is out there, it's a rough plan and I has a mindset to collate information from everywhere and everybody(mostly)

I am in IT and is used to this process and it has served me well in life.

So, the initial plan is for me to do it for 4 to 6 months, if it works for us living apart or more correctly "bear" it,  then we going to soldier on. We need a year maybe longer

due to my wife work commitment.

I might have the option to work back to SA for a period, as my employer is open to it, with the understanding that I would want to have a job
in Oz to get into the Australian way of life. This could be a win-win as there is not enough of my skill in the market in SA, this will give them some time to find

the right candidate and I benefit as I get funds in.

So in terms of IT, from my understanding is that Sydney and Melbourne is the best place for IT jobs.  So, I will start in Sydney, I also have some friends there.

Regarding rental, at of this moment, I think it is best to start with Home Share,  I am easy going and don't need much, a place to stay, my MTB and some food on the table.

I have come across this site "https://flatmates.com.au/"   and what is great about this options, is the least period from 2 weeks to 6 months + and price at A$200 - A$ 700+,

So perfect, if you are not sure where you going to end up.

Would also need to check out store units, so if I need to travel to wherever for whatever time, for a job interview and need to give up rental flat, I have a place to store my

bicycles (road bike and MTB) and bike trainer.

With that, I have met this statement. "I am easy going and don't need much, a place to stay, my MTB and some food on the table(work)." :mellow::P

Obviously, looking for an Ozzie job would be my next focus. That is it in a nutshell. Many other things, but will handle as I go along. I know it might

sound as if I make it that simple, but I am well aware of the emotional and physiological feelings that I going to have to deal with. Be aware so that you can deal with it.

As always any advice and ideas welcome.

Edited by Marmotte

9 hours ago, Marmotte said:

So in terms of IT, from my understanding is that Sydney and Melbourne is the best place for IT jobs.

I was very lucky when I moved over to Brisbane, found a job very quickly.  We had our hearts set on living in Brisbane though, if you don't really have a preference then the job market in Sydney and Melbourne is definitely bigger.

9 hours ago, Marmotte said:

Obviously, looking for an Ozzie job would be my next focus.

You can certainly try to find work whilst still in South Africa, but you will be 100 times more likely to find something when you're here.  

• Thanks 1

ChrisH,

I enjoyed Brisbane, been there twice now. Have a friend, who is there now for 4 years, who invited me over to stay with his family for a couple of weeks(soft landing).  So that option is also on the table. Especially in the beginning, while I am still working back to SA, the great thing about my job, can work (mostly) remotely from anywhere:ph34r:. So it does not really matter where I work from.  So, once I lay down the basics, finding that job is the next focus point, even if that takes me to Brisbane, which I like anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What sector of IT are you in? If you are a software developer and interview well then you will be fine, managed to pick up a job the day after I landed.

Have some friends that moved to Brisbane, one who is server techie type and he managed to find a job pretty quickly. He didn't like the traveling so even managed to pick up another a few months later.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@ dlmonnink Thanks for the info. I am also more of a server and storage techie, but with architecture experience behind me.

I am in Unix IBM (AIX) operating systems and storage side of things.

Currently heading for Sydney, but any of the 3 eastern coast Cities would do. Sydney and Brisbane definitely my favorites. Actually, resign the day of your reply. :o

Have anyone use Storage Lockers to store various item eg Bicycles, suitcases etc?

So, Flight ticket booked today, one way to Sydney.

• Like 1

@Marmotte There are self storage units in Australian cities (google Kennards for this). 

I cycle or use public transport to clients if I can. Most decent size companies have showers. However, Sydney is very hilly so I’ve bought an ebike and now just arrive in my civvies ready to go. Sharing a place in a decent suburb is ~ $250 - $350 per week accomodation. I suggest in Sydney start close to the cbd e.g. crows nest or rose bay.

• Thanks 1

New year - new beginnings!  It's a bit of a roller-coaster ride and sometimes you'll feel like you want to get off it, but just hang in there and everything will be fine in the end. 

If it is at all possible to come as a family, I would strongly recommend it as in the beginning, all you'll have is each other and without that support, it's easy to fall into a dark place.  If it's not possible, join as many social groups as you can - not only South African groups, although South Africans will definitely have a great understanding of what you're going through and would be more able to support you through it, but also groups sharing the same interests as you: fishing, photography whatever, as it gives you an instant group of friends and something in common that you can talk about, other than "back in South Africa". It's much better than going to a pub and try to connect to people who have absolutely nothing in common with you - if that makes any sense. 

South African get-togethers are great and they're definitely good for support and understanding, but they often turn into whinge sessions about South Africa or a discussion on where you rank on the keeping-up-with-the-Jones' chart.  We've been here 13 years and we STILL find that with new South African arrivals.  I recently had to sit through hours of how many maids and nannies this one had and how much money that one spent on overseas holidays blah blah blah.  Best tip I can give you:  broaden your horisons, make friends with people from other countries and immerse yourself into the Aussie culture. 

If you ever feel you can't keep going, there's always the forum.  I live in Sydney and if you need to talk to someone in person, I'm happy to meet up with you.  Many other forumites in Sydney too!  Don't keep it to yourself - you don't have to. 

Good luck, buckle up and enjoy the ride!  It's 100% worth it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PS:There is a huge MTB community in Sydney and a popular ride on the weekend is Terry Hills - quite a few South African MTB-ers there too! I've done that one myself a few times - great loop ride with a view to die for at the turning point.  Another popular ride - bit harder - is Manly Dam.

Terry Hills:

http://nobmob.com/rides/terreyhills

Manly Dam:

http://nobmob.com/rides/manlydam

Great way to meet people!  The MTB community here is really very inclusive and considerate. 

Get yourself this book:

http://www.99bikes.com.au/book-where-to-ride-sydney-mtb

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Guys.

@SimpleSimonWill google Kennards thanks, Just for interest, what would an ebike set you back in Oz.?

@Riekie Thanks for all the info. I get what you trying to say. I love cycling and have connected last September when we were there with a couple of Aussie who took me to Manly Dam. Did not know them from a Bar of soap, met along the way. So most importantly what you said is get out and interact. If you are going to sit indoors only or operate on your own that is what you going to get. If that works for you fine. Being alone might just get you thinking too much. Get out and do the Australian thing or South African thing in Oz, just because there are so many of us:P. Would like to meet up and maybe get some other interested parties and go for an MTB and coffee ride.

So, my Sister has a friend, don't even know her, in Dee Why and she just came through for me to stay there for awhile, just to get on my feet. Consider myself very fortunate and a bit of a soft landing and much needed. Very thankful for this kindness. Like Simplesimon says try to stay closer to CBD and I am also on that page, but this could at least give me some breathing space and most importantly, I can bring my MTB and road bike along as she has space, even my trainer can come with, as I do zwift cycling on it (that is my happy space). This could give me scout time to find the best property.

Any suggestion for extra kilograms or items eg bicycles or a suitcase to ship to Sydney? Qantas wants to charge R 2800 for 5kg's, R5600 for 10kg's and up to 35kg's will set you back R19500, way too much for me.

Onwards we march

Edited by Marmotte
correction

Anybody using tax agents? and is it worth it?

18 hours ago, Marmotte said:

Anybody using tax agents? and is it worth it?

I would definitely use one for your first Australian tax return.

From the next year onwards at least you will have the previous year to use as a reference.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichardH said:

I would definitely use one for your first Australian tax return.

From the next year onwards at least you will have the previous year to use as a reference.

I would say this depends on the circumstances personally. I've submitted 2 tax returns, both I did myself. If your tax return is relatively straight forward then you can google the odd few things you are unsure of. For me I see using an agent as a waste of a few hundred dollars. If you have many different things to fill in and don't understand what is happening or if you are not tax savvy then by all means use a tax agent.

On 03/01/2018 at 10:07 AM, Riekie said:

If it is at all possible to come as a family, I would strongly recommend it as in the beginning, <snip>

I don't have kids but under some circumstances I would say this might not be the best idea. I came over and found a place to stay, found a job, organised a rental etc while my GF stayed in SA for a few months. Again this is dependant on the person/family but I found it much easier to have the time to attend job interviews, go view rentals etc which I believe can be overwhelming with a whole family in tow. With the uncertainty of not having a job I found it easier to only have to worry about my own circumstance if worst came to worst.

The best piece of advice I can give is if ANYONE is willing to put you up when you land then take the offer. The amount you save in housing, water, elec, internet etc etc while trying to find your feet is a god send. Unless you have lived an extravangant life in SA and can continue to afford to do so in Aus with a large cash reserve, your money will disappear very quickly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Guys. Your input is appreciated. The better half cannot join me now, even if she wanted too and will be for some time.  As time is running out on our visas we had to make this call.

At least we don't have kids, as this will be more complicated.

There are Pros and Cons to both arguments "with or without":blink: I just don't have a choice in the matter. :P

@dlmonnink

But, I think I am also on the point of view, for one person to come over and try to get everything in order. At least that way one partner still have an income in a familiar environment

and it is not two times nothing:D. The partner can also help to fund some of the expenses as this will be a costly exercise. The offer for the person to help me is greatly valued.

The Biggest aspect is going to be the separation of your loved one and as much as I am premediating it to prepare myself mentally, I don't think I really know just how much that is going to affect me. I think it is an important issue to discuss, as I go along this journey to report back (be honest) so that others can learn from my experiences, just as everybody else here contributes to their experiences. This is what this forum is all about after all.

Just on

On 2018/01/03 at 2:08 PM, Marmotte said:

Any suggestion for extra kilograms or items eg bicycles or a suitcase to ship to Sydney? Qantas wants to charge R 2800 for 5kg's, R5600 for 10kg's and up to 35kg's will set you back R19500, way too much for me.

I have found this site that is apparently good. The only site so far that gives you a quote on the site immediately.

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com

eg

Shipping Items: 1 Bicycle (28x157x87cm),1 Large Box (61x51x41cm) Shipping Price: ZAR11,765.64

Your Quote breakdown:
Description Cost Tax Total Min Weight
Deliver Empties ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00  
Collect Full ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00  
Oversized Items Additional Collect Full Fee ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00  
Storage ZAR105.26 ZAR14.74 ZAR120.00  
Air Economy (including Security Checks) ZAR195.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR195.00  
1 Bicycle (28x157x87cm) ZAR8,186.94 ZAR0.00 ZAR8,186.94 68.51Kg per item
1 Large Box (61x51x41cm) ZAR3,107.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR3,107.00 26Kg per item
Airport to Depot Transfer ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00  
Inter-Depot Move ZAR210.82 ZAR0.00 ZAR210.82  
Deliver Full ZAR65.88 ZAR0.00 ZAR65.88  
Oversized Items Additional Deliver Full Fee ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00 ZAR0.00  
Totals ZAR11,870.90 ZAR14.74 ZAR11,885.64  

Price Per KG:119.50 for each additional Kg above Minimum Weight

DHL express quote me after a long time on the phone for 1.4 m x 1m x 30cm, which they consider oversize. @ R 24 000

Edited by Marmotte
add info

See if someone would be willing to send it in their container if they have space. To be quite honest, unless you have sentimental items or items that are cheaper to ship rather than buy new, get rid/sell everything on SA side and buy new in Aus. Spent about R13k sending 17 boxes from clothing to kitchen glasses etc. Most stuff would have been cheaper just to buy here and wouldn't have had to wait 3 months. Only stuff I actually needed was my PC, degrees and photos.

• Thanks 1

@dlmonnink Yes, with you. How are clothes prices that side, let say smart casual type of clothes for work?

Also anybody in the IT industry. What clothes do people interview in smart casual or suit?  Here in SA, in my field, we interview in smart casual.

Edited by Marmotte
add info

Most people go to interviews in a suit and tie so very formal/smart. Most people in my day to day office wear jeans and t-shirt.

The difference between SA and Aus is that there are far more people qualified in every field for each job available so it's in your best interest to put your very best foot forward, even if you are far better qualified/skilled than all the other candidates. Once you land a job you can enquire about daily attire or gauge from the other employees what is acceptable.

I don't have an exact figure on the clothing prices as I still use what I purchased in SA (been here just under 2 years), but smart pants can be anything from $30+ for a good pair. If you want woolies quality pants and shirts expect to pay $50 - $100+ per item. Not sure about sydney but in Melbourne they have the DFO which sells name brands and good quality stuff at discount prices. I just bought some stuff from woolworths before I left SA. At that stage I bought like 2 x 3 packs of shirts which was about R500 per pack and then bought a suit for about R1200 and a pair of shoes. 

You'll find if you are not a name brand fan you can buy your daily clothing at kmart/target for between $1 - $30. Bought some vests for the hot weather here at kmart at $2.50 a pop.

Just got back from Bali and their cheap shitty vests at their local markets you can't get for any lower than $3.

• Thanks 1