Calculation Help Day Care/CCB/CCR 2 kids under 5

ErinF

Hello there Everyone!

We've been researching/reading at a crazy rate and figured it would be best to ask those in the know. Here is our situation with our kiddos and our possible move in 2018 to Sydney.

2 kids ( 3 years old + 6 months old)

Coming over on PR Visas (189 or 190)

Both parents working.

Scenario 1: Dad works fulltime mom works fulltime

Scenario 2: Dad works fulltime mom works 3 days a week.

Combined annual salary estimate before tax: AUS$ 210000

Weve seen that most long day day care in Sydney in the areas we are looking to live will cost about about $113 pd (6month old) and about $100pd (3yr old)

I've seen the CCB rebate is $7500 per child per year but it gets used up very quickly especially in long day care.

So:

I'm just trying to work out in scenario 1: of the $113 + $100 x 5 days a week x 4 weeks a month  = $4260pm how much could we get off once the rebate applies?

and then realistically how long would that rebate last really? 6 months? then we would go back to the full $4260pm...

What other options are there? ive seen mentions of cheaper childcare centres but they may not be covered on the CCB and then they probably aren't long day care but only half day?

I'm sure I could find partime work or flexible work but that may come with a pay cut in any case so might even out anyway?

its a lot to think about, and I'm worried I'm missing other options, any advice greatly appreciated!

• 4 months later...

Hi Erin, hope you are well. 

I'm curious what you decided in the end to go for (if you got any more info on the topic?) -even if you haven;t gone yet? I see no-one replied, but we in a similar position going forward soon...

thanks in advance,

C...

@ErinF @ClintC have a look here for more information about child care options https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/subjects/assistance-child-care-fees#newccca

Here is a calculator you can try get an estimate out of - however I am not sure whether you are supposed to apply from the perspective of yourself as the applicant or your husband:

https://www.centrelink.gov.au/custsite_pfe/pymtfinderest/paymentFinderEstimatorPage.jsf?wec-appid=pymtfinderest&wec-locale=en_US#stay

Edited by TamTam

The system is changing in June. There will not be a CCB for example. So, you should wait till July to work it out.

Th best advise is the suburb you live in makes a big difference. For example, day care in Bondi is $140 per day. But a day care out in Blacktown is $80 per day. Day care for 2 kids costs as much as an ordinary person earns! That's after subsidies!

The reason for the high prices is rent. You have to get back to the day care by 6pm. So most people put heir kids in care near work. The problem is the rents in office parks are a killer.

Many people do shift work or run a small business so they can cut down on day care. You might be better off taking a lower paying job in Blacktown or the Hills or the northern beaches where day care is cheaper .

Its strange to say, but if you earn less then you get back more in day care subsidies. If you pay less, then under the current system, your subsidy doesn't run out at the end of the year. Paying full fees for 3 months a year is a killer.

Edited by monsta