How long did your 457 take?

cyclelab

Question

Hi

We are due to move to Melbourne in January 2018, but waiting for final contract with the company to come through. Will it take 90 days to get the visa or can they fasttrack t?

The DIBP state for the 457 visa processing times

Global visa processing times

Last updated 16 October 2017 (for month ending 30 September 2017)

• 75 per cent of applications processed in 6 months
  • 90 per cent of applications processed in 10 months

Thanks - that is NOT good news! My husband is being sponsored by a company (it is a transfer from SA to their other business in Aus) and we plan to move Jan 2018. We haven't even started to apply for Visa. What do you think?

I think you had better get started then :D

Sorry, I just could not resist! You also need to remember, that this country closes down from Christmas to end January... so your time is very short...

Edited by Mara

9 hours ago, cyclelab said:

What do you think?

Sorry it would be inappropriate for me to given an opinion I don't know the case/circumstances.  The times above reflect the visas currently being granted and it has been increasing over time.

Good luck.

Edited by TeeTMI

Have you made progress on this? I hope your contract is signed and you're working with the new company's visa lawyers to get it done.

I am in a similar boat, I am moving to the Australian arm of my current company and have been working with their visa lawyers since early October to get the 457; we are currently waiting for the medicals to clear and then they'll lodge the visa. They expect it to take 4 weeks, maybe a bit more, from when they lodge. So there's a chance. What is your timeframe looking like?

Edited by Tntaglia

@CTtoAus We are still waiting. They lodged 30 November, updated with PCCs on 11 December so it's decision ready, but we have not heard anything further. Sigh. We have also completed all the forms for a priority processing application but honestly these are not the best agents to work with (my new employer's choice, not mine) so I don't even have confirmation that they've lodged the priority processing application.

Thursday this week it will be 6 weeks since they lodged. 

Oh my goodness, that is not good news.

I have received an offer from a company in Australia, and need to figure out when to resign from my job, but it is quite tricky if one doesn't know how long the 457 is going to take.

Can I ask you to please let me know when you receive yours?  I am still waiting for my medicals appointment and PCC, so will only be able to lodge once that is done.

It does appear to be improving significantly

DIBP recently updated to state for 457 visa applications

Global visa processing times

• 75 per cent of applications processed in 88 days
  • 90 per cent of applications processed in 8 months

If I may add my 2c.

My husband has also received an offer of employment and we are now in the process of applying for the 457 application date is the 3rd of January. We had all our docs and our medicals are scheduled for the 31.01.2018.

What we have decided is that we will wait for the visa grant and then he will resign from his employer. Our personal feeling is that this is much safer to do because the offer is subject to the visa grant. 

All the best!

I agree that this sounds like the most sensible option. Our situation was complicated in that I needed to discuss the offer with my current employer to be able to make an informer decision and now I am in the awkward position where I had to verbally tell them that I am going to resign, but haven't done so officially. Not ideal! Much better if you can just wait. 

Ok thats a little more than awkward yes. I stand under correction when I say that they probably cant do anything to you other than victimize you.

Any progress on your application? Have you done your medicals yet?

@Lynnor Yup, I pretty much won't have a choice but to resign if the 457 doesn't come through, but technically they can't force me to.

We are going for medicals tomorrow.

My agent said that it is pointless to submit the application without the medicals, so they haven't submitted yet.

You obviously got different advice if you already submitted on the 3rd without medicals?

On 1/9/2018 at 3:07 PM, CTtoAus said:

Oh my goodness, that is not good news.

I have received an offer from a company in Australia, and need to figure out when to resign from my job, but it is quite tricky if one doesn't know how long the 457 is going to take.

Can I ask you to please let me know when you receive yours?  I am still waiting for my medicals appointment and PCC, so will only be able to lodge once that is done.

We are still waiting for our visas. 54 days since it was originally lodged, and we also applied for priority processing 7 working days ago - hopefully that will be successful and we'll get a response fairly soon. Meanwhile we have now also lodged our 190 application which is also decision ready and it looks like direct grants for that take about 8 weeks at the moment. So loads of sitting around and waiting.

I'm in the lucky position work-wise that my current employer wants me to make the move (it's to another company in the same group) so they know I'll resign when I have a visa. But I am totally ready for the visas to come through now... I wake up early every morning and first check my phone's load screen to see if any emails came through overnight. And that's after lying awake wondering when it will come the previous evening, so limbo is cutting into my sleep now!

Just now, CTtoAus said:

@Lynnor Yup, I pretty much won't have a choice but to resign if the 457 doesn't come through, but technically they can't force me to.

My agent said that it is pointless to submit the application without the medicals, so they haven't submitted yet.

You obviously got different advice if you already submitted on the 3rd without medicals?

We submitted with medicals but without PCCs, and then updated the application with the PCCs when they eventually came through. Since we still haven't heard from a case officer, I think that was a good choice, at least we're higher up in the priority list than we would have been.

@Tntaglia I hope yours will come through soon! We are also submitting our 190 this week. Where did you see that it is only taking 8 weeks? My agent told us to expect 4 - 6 months. 

Just now, CTtoAus said:

@Tntaglia I hope yours will come through soon! We are also submitting our 190 this week. Where did you see that it is only taking 8 weeks? My agent told us to expect 4 - 6 months. 

I'm tracking it on immitracker so it's self-reported and not always necessarily truthful. But even people here on the forum have had theirs granted in about 8 weeks - if memory serves @Sunet lodged her 190 for NSW in the first week of December and it has already been granted. So I'm really hoping that a direct grant works out for us, it cuts the waiting time by sooooo much!

A direct grant means they grant your visa without requesting additional information like medicals or PCC.

34 minutes ago, CTtoAus said:

Yes our agent advised not sure why because we were keen to submit a decision ready application. However everything else was in place we also had our pccs which we miraculously waited 2 weeks for.

We going next Wednesday with Intercare Tygervally they had the soonest date then we just have to wait. 

Which way you heading. We going NSW.

39 minutes ago, Tntaglia said:

We are still waiting for our visas. 54 days since it was originally lodged, and we also applied for priority processing 7 working days ago - hopefully that will be successful and we'll get a response fairly soon. Meanwhile we have now also lodged our 190 application which is also decision ready and it looks like direct grants for that take about 8 weeks at the moment. So loads of sitting around and waiting.

I'm in the lucky position work-wise that my current employer wants me to make the move (it's to another company in the same group) so they know I'll resign when I have a visa. But I am totally ready for the visas to come through now... I wake up early every morning and first check my phone's load screen to see if any emails came through overnight. And that's after lying awake wondering when it will come the previous evening, so limbo is cutting into my sleep now!

Wow thats a wait. 

We cant wait to get all this over and done with!!!!#

@Lynnor We are going to Christiaan Barnard tomorrow.  I couldn't believe that we had to wait 3 weeks for the appointment!  Have to admit that I am a little bit nervous.  We had so many things go wrong during this whole process, so I really can't deal with one more hiccup.

We are heading to Sydney, hopefully no later than the end of April.

1 hour ago, CTtoAus said:

@Lynnor We are going to Christiaan Barnard tomorrow.  I couldn't believe that we had to wait 3 weeks for the appointment!  Have to admit that I am a little bit nervous.  We had so many things go wrong during this whole process, so I really can't deal with one more hiccup.

We are heading to Sydney, hopefully no later than the end of April.

We also had appointments at Christian Barnard for the 9th of Feb but Intercare Tygervally got back with a date for next Wednesday.

If its any consolation we are just as nervous just "hoosaa" because your nervousness may spike your bp.

We will be about 400km outside of Sydney regional Australia.

Holding thumbs for you guys praying all goes well tomorrow. Keep us posted.

7 hours ago, Tntaglia said:

I'm tracking it on immitracker so it's self-reported and not always necessarily truthful. But even people here on the forum have had theirs granted in about 8 weeks - if memory serves @Sunet lodged her 190 for NSW in the first week of December and it has already been granted. So I'm really hoping that a direct grant works out for us, it cuts the waiting time by sooooo much!

@Tntaglia Yes, we were very lucky, waited just over 5 weeks for our visa approval, received a direct grant.

Good luck everyone!

Hi guys, I am new to this forum.

Just thought I would share our timeline on our 457 journey.

Nomination Application: 26/09/2017

457 Visa Application: 27/09/2017 (submitted a complete decision ready application - or so we thought....)

Medicals Done: 04/10/2017

Nomination Approved: 03/01/2018

RFI: 11/01/2018 - they asked for proof of adequate health insurance, which we submitted to our agent in Sept when she lodged our visa - I suspect she have forgotten to upload this one :( 

RFI Re-submitted: 11/01/2018

...still waiting....

Our agent said that the RFI was to be submitted by 8th Feb 2018, do you guys think our case officer will only look at our application again on that date!?

Living in limbo here!!!

Edited by Robsy17