Exploring Queensland..

Robbie_P

Hi All,

We have been in Brisbane for about a month now. We have been quite busy the past month just settling in, but would like to get out a see a bit more of Queensland and northern NSW.

I would really appreciate some suggestions of places to see, things to do, good camping spots, good day trips etc.

Ideally we would like to keep it to within 2 hours of Brisbane (unless we camping for the weekend) as well as be relatively child friendly (as I have kids between 2 and 7).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Robbie

I've sent you a PM ;) 

Good day all

Sorry for hi jacking this thread-but I have a similar question to Robbie-P's.

My wife and I are coming over to Brisbane on 28 December 2017 for our new positions in 2018.

We are trying to find some information about events that will be happening in and around the city in December 2017 and January 2018.

I have been onto VisitBrisbane.com.au, but there are very little events listed for what I would expect to be a busy festive season.

Would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

If you're gonna be in Brisbane over New Year, you absolutely have to go see the fireworks from South Bank in the CBD. They usually do two shows, earlier for kids, and at 12:00 for grownups. It's spectacular. And the vibe is amazing. Take a blanket, take some food, sit and relax.

My aunt took us to the fireworks of 2013/2014, only 5 hours after our flight from Jhb landed.... we regret nothing!!! :D 

The Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is also good to visit, they are actually more like a native zoo in terms of the animals they keep: wombat, dingo, platypus, cassowary birds...
Mooloolaba beach is also a great place to swim and play in the sand. It's not as crowded as the more popular beaches. Bit further up though.
South Bank even on a regular day is good, excellent play place for kids with jungle gym things and water fountains and a fake beach with life guards.
Of course we went walking in a lot of the national parks. We went to somewhere near Mt Warning (If you ever saw the film FernGully: The Last Rainforest you have to go and see this.)
Also lots of quaint little 'villiages' around the outskirts of Brisbane, with lots of local crafts, handmade sweets, pottery, sculture, clothing...

Also: Don't be afraid to ask locals. Even strangers. Go to the library and start a talk with the staff when they don't look busy. Go into shops (the smaller type, owner run, not Coles or ALDI) and talk to the owner, ask them what to see. Aussies are very friendly. The sooner you start talking to the locals the better it'll be for you!

• 4 weeks later...

Point Glorious Lookout.

Mount Mee Waterfalls

Tamborine Mountains.

Skywalk Tamborine

Teewah beach, oh my gosh its a stunner.

Rainbow Beach

Double  Island Point

Bli Bli water park

The list is endless!!!

• Like 1

Hey @SurferMan, how's Brisbane been treating you? :D 

• Like 1

@RedPanda

Ahh girl! Just loving it! So much to see and enjoy. Transport is easier, FAR less crowded than Perth, more frequent and cheaper. Jobs are easier to come by, cost of living is chepaer than Perth too. But the best for me are the beaches, endless stretches of bliss. The ocean is warm and easy to swim most days, there are waves. And just endless beaches lolol. A dream come true for us.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

@SurferMan glad it's treating you well ;) 

• Haha 1