One year in

CyberJoe

Wow! What an inspiring tale. I have started to question the wisdom of moving, especially now that Oz has dropped to 34th in the world rankings for immigrants. A glimmer of hope....from you... sigh

• Like 1

@CyberJoe where are you living in Sydney?

Great post @CyberJoe, we have been here just over a year and can definitely relate to and agree with what you said.

We can also relate to what you described @CyberJoe .

@ocean  don't give up. I'm not sure how that study rated countries but I suspect it has more to do with things like the more restrictive immigration criteria that have come into effect,

Such ratings also are inherently subjective as even when they are mathematical they incorporate subconscious cognitive bias into them of some sort, and thus are not solely worth basing your opinions on when you are not in the mind of the creator. For example one other rating of countries by beauty puts South Africa high on the list, so then are you going to base your decision by where to live by that? No.

Nothing worthwhile comes easy. This definitely is.

• Like 2

Wow @CyberJoe this is such an amazing post - makes me really excited and happy to be moving to Sydney in the next 2 months!! Thanks for this and I can only hope to make a similar post in a years time!

Megs

• Like 1

Congratulations and all the very best going into the future.

We've completed four years since moving to Oz and our sentiments are the same as yours.

I agree with your post, but one thing I would like to point out is just because you have come to Australia by no means makes you liable to lose your identity. The Indians stay Indian and the Chinese definitely don't give a toss so stay true to yourself. Embrace the customs, cultures and what Aus has to offer but be who you grew up to be. This is probably why most people stick to their own cultural groups; grew up the same way, have the same morals and values and therefore just easier to relate - hence the excitement of running into other South Africans.

We used to call the poms "sout piels". One foot on each continent and dangly bits in the ocean. I guess that's now us .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1