Writing a will - Sydney

LouiseMark

We have been in Sydney for 9 weeks now. SO far so good. Settling down nicely.

However, reality struck home yesterday when I realised that if something happened to myself or my hubby, we are ALL ALONE! 

I feel it is important to get a will sorted, for each other's peace of mind and so that the kids will be taken care of. We need to set up these wills and organise guardianship of our children. The guardians we had appointed, while we were all in SA have also moved, to the UK.

Any advise as to where to go that will facilitate this? I am guessing that there will be a cost involved (doesn't everything here!:rolleyes:)

Thanks!

@LouiseMark you can of course do it cheaply and get a will kit from a Post Shop. BUT, as you have children involved, you really want to do it the BEST way. I would urge you to check out with some lawyers around where you live, and ask what they charge to draw up a will. Problem is, to my knowledge, your wills have to be separate, that means it is two wills, not just one. To make it simple, if you have a copy of your old will, take it with you, if you don't , then make a list of things you would like to include in your will, to give to the lawyer.

Also be aware that if you have any assets you want to do specific things with, there is a chance that other family members can contest the will after your death. If the courts feel the person was treated unfairly they may overturn the will. If this is applicable to you, ask your lawyer to explain it. They could assume you know this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As others have suggested,  I also agree that you should seek professional assistance. In your will, you can determine who the guardians should be (testamentary guardians) and the courts will try their best to give effect to this even if those guardians are based overseas. You should also set up a family trust so that any financial issues regarding your children’s care while they are still minors is taken care of.

We have a joint will through the Public Trustee.  It used to be free but now they charge $300. 

http://www.tag.nsw.gov.au/wills-landing-page.html

On the top right of the page is a tab you can click on to book an appointment to see someone in person (or you can call them to make an appointment).  They have offices throughout NSW.  In Sydney, they have an office in the city and in Parramatta: http://www.tag.nsw.gov.au/our-locations.html

Other states have the same setup - search for public trustee + state.

• Like 1