Visiting RSA - Birth certificate

Jobizzle

Question

Hi all

My wife and I are in AUS on a 457 visa, we are visiting South Africa with our daughter who was born here in Aus. Her passport is arriving back in Aus this week, but it seems her birth certificate is delayed and won't be here in time before we leave. Will we be ok to enter SA using her passport and Australian unabridged birth certificate? I'm not sure how sticky customs is about the origin of the birth certificate ever since they implemented that rule that children must have an original birth certificate to enter and leave SA.

4 answers to this question

As far as I know as long as it is an unabridged birth certificate that is fine. 

To be 100% safe, just call up your airline. They are not supposed to let you on the plane without a valid birth certificate for your kid. You are even supposed to show it to them when you check in.

The person at the call centre might be a bit confused. But just explain its a requirement for you to board a plane to South Africa and you need help because you don't want to hold up the check-in person.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:57 AM, Jobizzle said:

Hi all

My wife and I are in AUS on a 457 visa, we are visiting South Africa with our daughter who was born here in Aus. Her passport is arriving back in Aus this week, but it seems her birth certificate is delayed and won't be here in time before we leave. Will we be ok to enter SA using her passport and Australian unabridged birth certificate? I'm not sure how sticky customs is about the origin of the birth certificate ever since they implemented that rule that children must have an original birth certificate to enter and leave SA.

@Jobizzle did they give you any issues with just using the Oz unabridged?

They actually never even asked for the birth certificate, I think either they're a bit more relaxed on the rule now, or because both parents were with the child, they didn't ask for it, I think its more important if only one parent is with the child.