Diff bet 489 and 190 Visa

Anusha

Question

Hi . Thx so much for all ur help so far. There has been changes in the skilled occupation list and we now have to explore the 489 visa rather than 190.

I have noticed that for the 489 there is no medicare or school benefits. I will appreciate your advice. What can we expect to budget for a family of 4, 2 adults , 2 kids. Much appreciated! 

5 answers to this question

Hi @Anusha, we are going over on a 489 visa in a couple of months and this is what I have gleaned thus far (from this side...):

- you need to take out full medical cover- this cost will depend on if you take basic cover or comprehensive cover.  But seems to be cheaper than Discovery, for example... seems to be between AUD300 and AUD 650 per month.  You can check this out on providers websites, such as Bupa.

- we are going to Adelaide, South Australia and I have made contact with the education department who have confirmed that we will be treated as if we have PR. So no school fees in the government schools. (Yes, they actually  responded to my email- and within 30 minutes, nogal....!!!!). This may not be the case in other states, seems to be state specific.

- we can qualify for PR study rates at TAFESA, but will have to pay international fees at University.

- you need to live for 2 years and work for 1 year in a regional low population area. You can go live anywhere in Australia, and are not bound by the state sponsorship as with the 190, because you have to stay in a regional area and there is an understanding that finding employment can be challenging in these areas.  You don't have to work in your nominated profession.  Best is to choose a capital of one of the states where the whole state is a regional area such as SA, NT, Tasmania. If you break this condition and go live in a big city or in the wrong postal code, you are in breach of your visa conditions and it's likely you will be kicked out.

- either partner can qualify for the PR887 and the main applicant for 887 doesn't have to be the same main applicant who got the 489.

Hope this helps?

Michelle

• Like 1

Thx Mich. We also going on 489 to SA. The 190 is available for Tas but we reckon we will be happier in SA so rather take the 489 and convert to 887 in 2 years.  Thx so much for ur valuable info☺ when do guys leave? 

Hubby leaves in about 6 weeks and kids and I on 01 December.

All the best with your process!

I will say that as much as my heart is set on Adelaide... personally I would have taken a 190 anywhere if the opportunity was available.... it's greater certainty, aside from the other benefits.  You have more time to move and settle and you know you arrive with PR and in 4 years you will have citizenship; whereas 489 it's 2 years, then PR 4 years, so 6 years to citizenship... think about it, because although a 489 is good, PR is much better.

Hi Michelle 

With regards to " you need to live for 2 years and work for 1 year in a regional low population area. " can you confirm this but documentation I have found states "that whole of South Australia is classed as regional" so my understanding would then be, working anywhere in South Australia, including Adelaide for 1 year to satisfy this requirement ?

Thank you 

Regards

Ashley 

Hi Ashley,

@smashingfish

That is my understanding and my Visa grant notice does state that aswell.  So anywhere in South Aussie is good....!  Other states have postal codes on my Visa grant notice but SA, NT and Tasmania it says whole state or whole territory.  That means for 2 years you need to live there and you must have held a job (of more than 35 hours a week) for 12 months (accumulated), to qualify for your 887.

But... from what I understand this does not mean you can do your time then go to Sydney for example, on your 489 because you are not permitted to live or work in an area not stipulated on the grant notice.  So, you must stay there UNTIL you have your 887 then you can go where you please.  Reason I say this is because this is an express Visa condition, not a nice to have if you want PR.  If you break this condition you are in contravention of your visa conditions and can be kicked out.  This is my understanding and this condition appears on all 4 of our visas meaning we are all bound by this. 

Thanks

Michelle

Edited by MichKen
To add tag