Singapore Airlines

Sharlene

Hi Guys,

So , we set on doing our activation trip in November. We going to Melbourne and surrounding areas.

Did anyone use Singapore Airlines, and how was it?

How was the meals for the kids? (if anyone did travel with kids on this airline) I have two kids, so just thinking how this is going to work out for us?

Thank you

Sharlene

Let me explain it thusly...

Outside Changi airport (the airport in Singapore) there is an entire 4 story building where they work on new recipes. They even have a pressurized room that can simulate how the food will taste on an airplane.

I had a steak from them that I could cut relatively easily with a plastic knife... that was up in the sky, 4 hours into a flight  in a pressurized cabin.

One time, the airplane we were to fly out was struck by lightning on its way to Changi airport...  So, we had to wait for an alternative plane. They gave us meal vouchers to go to the take-away food places at the airport. They even setup a cook with a BBQ at the departure gate serving fast food for us. They then gave us a leather passport holder to apologize.

As for kids, you will need a USB charging point. So you can charge your ipads, phones, etc... but it depends on which model aircraft you are flying on. For example, an Airbus A380 will have one. If the aircraft is older and doesn't have USB power points then you will need to buy portable batteries :(

So, yes Singapore Airlines is one of the best airlines out there. I am told Thai Airways is quite good too... Quantas and SAA are b-grade in comparison. 

But having said all that... if I was flying from JHB -> Syndey... I would go Qantas every time. They fly down to near the antarctic... fly along then fly back up. I know its hard to picture it... but the trip is a lot shorter than flying via Singapore. With kids on the plane... the best part is when you get off...

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Thank you @monsta My husband is very excited to fly with Singapore Airlines....... So let's see how this goes.....  

• 4 weeks later...

According to me they are the best. And you get a free tour of Singapore!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't flown on them, but my Grandfather always gave them the highest praise, especially complimenting their food and on board service.

I have flown with them before, only once though, Johannesburg to Auckland, many years ago. We stayed over for a night in Singapore, and we were impressed with everything.

• 3 months later...

planning on using Singapore airlines on my next trip. was a bit worried how close their relationship is to Malaysia airlines given the recent happenings

Two separate entities, to my knowledge.

• 1 month later...

flew singapore air for the first time recently. Syd to SIN was good. Sin to JHB & reverse was in a word ":censored:", seemed to be a rebadged SAA. plane was not of international standard..small, cramped, constipated staff etc.