Cancelling TV License

ChrisH

Hi guys,

Found this contact at the SABC: Monya Boucher <boucherm@sabc.co.za>

This is to cancel your TV License when you emigrate.  Fill in scenario 2 bullets 2 and 3 (have it certified) and send it back to Monya with your shipping company inventory.

Took my 30 minutes to get a confirmation back from the SABC that my cancellation is being processed.

Affidavit Emigration.pdf

• Like 9

Awesome...

Thanks for that Chris... That is the last thing I was worrying about cancelling...

...Telkom took 6 months...

It still blows me away this apartheid era law. An affidavit...for a bloody TV! I saw now they want to force licences on all devices like mobiles, what a laugh.

Why bother cancelling it if you're not going back?

• Like 2

Sigh, my sentiments precisely sir @Peterthe1

I will say this though, the lawyers still try to email, idiots. I am not even a citizen of that country anymore.

• Haha 1

After seeing all the hassle other people's relatives had with the SABC chasing we also did not provide a relatives address as a contact.

We gave our TV to someone and had them sign a letter confirming this.

We also contacted a lady (long time ago - possibly the above) at the SABC directly who was really on the ball and who sent the required confirmations back quickly. 

• Like 1

I just refused to bow to an apartheid era piece of crap that says in essence, "Thous shall buy a license to His Masters Voice." At one point they insisted I have my TV "denatured" PMSL. I think that is the electronic version of neutering LOL.

I never watched SABC or its propaganda codswallop. :lol:

We just left.... haha!

• Like 1

I managed to dodge the TV licence most of my time in ZAR - except the last 2 years there.  Finally took the plunge and changed my TV to one that didn't have a monstrous bulge on the back - blerry store wouldn't let me have the new Samsung until I proved I had a liksensie.  Paid once, ignored all the sms's and emails to renew (pretty much like I ignored all my call up papers from 1990 to 1993) and sold the TV to a dude at work before I left.  They are probably still spending more in "Legal Collection Costs" on chasing my Licence Fee than I would ever pay them. 

Sue me Zuma.

I remember just before I left, they implemented a new rule for Business TV Licences where you would need an Audit Certificate to certify all the TV's bought, sold and on hand to lodge with your annual payment (basically devolving the policing of the Licence Fee to the Auditors - for the cost of the licencees).  The cost of the AUdit Certificate would've been R12k, the licence fees for 6 Business TV's (around R200 a piece if I recall).  I left that in the too hard basket for the poor fool taking over from me, no way was I going to pay an extra R12,000 for something I never wanted - same deal as the voketollie I guess.

Effers still sending me invoices for E-tolls!

Lol, I was going to just leave mine as well but this contact made it so easy that I just decided to do it.

• 2 months later...

I literally received this email 4 hours ago:

Dear Mr Brink,

I hereby confirm that TV licence number 4339XXXXX in your name has been cancelled and closed.

Feel free to contact me directly should you have any further enquiries on this matter.

Kind Regards,

Monya Boucher

Communications & Liaison

TV Licences Division

Tel: +27 11 330 9468

www.tvlic.co.za

“You will never change your life until you change something you do daily.  The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.”  Unknown

• Like 2

Thanks @vitchie I am sending another mail to ask for assistance, hopefully it hits the right note this time.

thanks for confirming, much appreciated.

Wow I'd forgotten about TV licences. How quaint! I remember it as being part of the governments strategy to control everything and get a bit of income on the side.

In Oz, people put old working TVs out on the street. How would those be licensed?

Thanks guys,

The above contact assisted me.

my first mail probably got lost along the way but was duly assisted by Monya super quick.

thanks.

On 29/08/2017 at 9:48 PM, vitchie said:

I literally received this email 4 hours ago:

Dear Mr Brink,

I hereby confirm that TV licence number 4339XXXXX in your name has been cancelled and closed.

Feel free to contact me directly should you have any further enquiries on this matter.

Kind Regards,

Monya Boucher

Communications & Liaison

TV Licences Division

Tel: +27 11 330 9468

www.tvlic.co.za

“You will never change your life until you change something you do daily.  The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.”  Unknown

Wow...what a surprise! (but a good one)

• 1 month later...
  • ChrisH pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I did it this week. Got an immediate response. Filled in that I gave the tv away to ‘unknown’, and that I had emigrated, sent a copy of my visa with it. They accepted without it even needing any stamp from commissioner of oaths. Very impressed with how easy it actually was. Thanks ChrisH for the email address. I paid it last year just because I thought it was going to be to impossible to get it canceled.

• 2 years later...

I emailed Monya last week. Did the same as @dme above. Marked that the tv was given away to "unknown" and submitted it without stamp from commissioner of oaths. She sent it to their cancellation department ("Your TV Licence account has been placed in the queue for cancellation.") and I received confirmation within a week that my TV LIC was cancelled.

Thanks @ChrisH for the email address. great to see it is still working after all this time. 

• Like 1