NSW drivers license conversion

annebsmith

Hi guys, hoping someone who has recently been through this process can help - we are due to move to NSW (Kiama) on 13 June, and I will need to convert my current SA drivers license to a NSW one. I have read the requirements etc, and I know about the additional letter required from the RTMA, but my concern is that my current SA license is only valid until October. Will I be able to convert to a NSW lisence with only 5 months left on my current SA one? We are going on a 457 visa. 

It seems it takes about 4 weeks to get your renewed SA lisence so it wont be ready by the time I go. 

Thanks in advance, would appreciate any advice. 

You will be fine. You will have converted the licence before it expires and the letter from the RTMS clearly states that it is only the card that expires every 5 years, NOT your licence to drive.

You will just have to renew if you come back.

Your other option is to renew it now and let a family member collect it an post it to you. 

Not a problem at all. It was quite an easy process in NSW. When I applied they did not even request the letter, it was in December last year

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2017 at 4:37 PM, Arvind said:

Where did you go to renew your license @TakeItOnTheChin? Heard that some agencies are different...

Arvind, I did it in Coffs Harbour

• 3 months later...

So, apologies for reviving an old thread but has anyone managed to get a letter from the RTMC after arriving in Aus. Is it possible to get it over email? I tried the NSW service center in Castle Hill, they want the letter but it does seem like not all of the personnel in the office can agree on that so they went for the strictest route.

On ‎2018‎/‎03‎/‎05 at 4:06 PM, AdriaanSanta said:

So, apologies for reviving an old thread but has anyone managed to get a letter from the RTMC after arriving in Aus. Is it possible to get it over email? I tried the NSW service center in Castle Hill, they want the letter but it does seem like not all of the personnel in the office can agree on that so they went for the strictest route.

Hi Adriaan

Just been through the process and yes, you do require that letter from South African embassy, but it quick to receive it. So rather explaining the whole process here again, here is a link to my post where I explain it ...29th February. If there is something that you don't understand

get in touch with me.

They will convert car and motorbike directly, but with trunk license, you would need to test.

Hope this helps.