Special needs schools

Thestains

Hi Forumites

I've been browsing the forum for a while now & posted a comment or two to subjects that affect me.

My challenge right now is trying to secure a special development school for my 17 year old son prior to us taking up our residence in July.

Hubby & I have figured that a school has to be secured before we look for accommodation to ensure that we are in the school zone for successful enrollment. 

We have family in Sandhurst but decided that we'd prefer living closer to the city to fully experience the culture of Melbourne.

Having said this, I've established that there aren't many special development schools for mild to moderate intellectual disability in this area.

I've contacted MAC based on @FromDurbs  posts & their response was that their year 11 class was full. Doncaster special development school advised us (during our visit to them in April) that most of their year 11 subject classes were full. 

So where to from here? I'm keen on following through on recommendations. I quite like the concept that MAC (Mount Alexander College) follows where kids are not grouped in years and follow a study program that suits their passion & ability. This was perfect for our son. Disappointed that we couldn't secure a space with them.

I welcome any ideas or suggestions that any forumite could offer in my search. It really will ease the anxiety & stress at this very close time to departure 

We always tell people when first choosing a suburb, to have a look at where the jobs are. For example, in Sydney, IT jobs are mostly in the CBD or Surrey Hills. But if you work in a warehouse, you could easily live out in Blacktown. So, don't rule out suburbs that have suitable schools with availability just because they are far from the CBD (unless your job dictates it).

Edited by monsta

Thank you @monstavery relevant advise. 

Hubby is an electrician and we observed during our trip to Melbourne in April that there are a number of high rise short stay apartment buildings as well as the office blocks that most likely require daily electrical maintenance. Electrical maintenance and construction work is definitely (new blocks coming up) a need in the inner city area.  Having said that, I hear what you are saying and considering the advise that I've read on the forum regarding networking for jobs, we will have a look at areas where the work is available.  

Are there any electricians in Melbourne with information regarding my thoughts?

On the school front, I've submitted an expression of interest for enrollment to Kensington Community school and to Montague School.  Does anyone know of or about these schools?

The journey is becoming very interesting and at times tense but overall I am looking forward to living in Melbourne even though we will be leaving behind our lovely Durban weather :)

Edited by Thestains

My experience with school was that they were all "full" until you rented in the area and then they had to take your child.  I do not think you will get a place without a rental agreement in place.  My advice would be to visit the school and make sure you like them, then get the rental, then get the place in the school.  It seems that applications are made in August, so arriving in July would at least secure a place from January onwards, even if they are full in July.  Going to a full school also might mean that the subjects your child can take is restricted.   Also visiting schools are different from looking at them online.

• Like 1