ANy tips for accom on Great Ocean Road?

DubaiPienaars

Hi there

We will be doing a Great Ocean Road trip when we fly into Aus in August. We need tips, advice etc for the trip on great ocean road through to Adelaide. Where to stay what to stop and see etc. All the books have SO much info its overload....

any help would be GREAT!

Thanks

Tarryn

August is winter time in Victoria.

Just remember that the Great Ocean Road is in Victoria and the caravan parks and hotels will mostly be pretty empty at that time of the year as it's not exactly "peak season" with the temps only being 18 degrees max!

Brrrrrrrr

One positive thing about going in winter is that things will be nice and green. We drove from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road in December and I was quite disapointed by the dryness and bleakness the drought has brought.

A friend stayed here recently and loved it

www.greatoceanroadcottages.com/site/accommodation

We stayed in Portland in a motel. Nothing to write home about. Portland and the motel that is....

Needless to say the 12 Apostles is a must see. (well, about 9 Apostles now) Get some photos before they disapear.

That's about all I can think of - we really enjoyed the drive, and it was very scenic, but we didn't really stop to smell the flowers as we needed to get to Adelaide.

Edited by HansaPlease

I usually prefer to stay in national parks, camping on the way, but I'm not a person who likes hotels much.

You'd have to get your hands on a tent though and bring a sleeping bag to crawl into on the way.

In the main towns, you'll come across hotels and motels that can cater for your overnight stay. You just make your mind up on how far you'd like to travel each and every day and where you'd like to stay overnight.

You can take a couple of days for the trip, or even a day or two longer, if you like.

Personally, the prettiest parts are along the Victorian coast and up until Mount Gambier just over the border into South Australia, then I'd take the inland route thro Narracorte to Adelaide, stopping off at one or two of the wineries in the region. That area is called the "Coonewara" district of Sth Australia and doesn't produce a bad drop.

Thanks for the tips. We are travelling with a 16 month old so camping is not our idea of a holiday at this stage.

We are hoping to find nice clean, spider & cockroach free decent accommodation so we just need to find spots then get prices then book.

We are looking forward to the winter as we live in Dubai and already its over 40 degrees Celcius. not funny. we want rain and cold!

Hi DubaiPienaars

We have stayed at a couple of the following places, take your pick, they are all excellent!

http://www.greatplacestostay.com.au/great_...oad/default.htm

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/vic/g...y/accommodation

http://www.ozbedandbreakfast.com/results.a...&STATE=Victoria

Hope you find one you like amongst this lot! Good luck and have a great trip!

Hi,

We did the Great Ocean Road end of October last year. Awsome!!!! We drove from Adelaide to Mount Gambier, stayed in the Best Western in Mount Gambier (no complaints, can recommend!!!) Drove the next day from Mount Gambier to Melbourne. Big mistake!!!! We should have stayed over and not tried to fit the Mount Gambier / Melbourne leg into one day! There is too much to see and you have to stop at all the viewing points! We did and it was worth each and every stop! We left Mount Gambier the morning at 6 and arrived in Melbourne past 8 that evening, and the only complaint we had was that we did not have enough time to appreciate everything we saw more!!! Thus, take your time when you do this part of the country. Spend two or three days driving the Great Ocean Road! It is awsome and you need to take it in bit by bit!

You will love it! Enjoy every moment of it!!!!

-J-

PS: Can also vouch for the Coonewara wines ... short trip outside Mount Gambier. Wines are very good!!!

Brilliant, thanks fort he links and tips.

I am feeling overwhelmed as teh Net has too much information. I need some pointers... We will start off from Melbourne but where do we stop first? If we do it with a 3 night stopover... I cant work out where the 12 apostles are and we dont want to miss that. what else is a MUST?

Thanks guys I dont want to waste time when there want to plan as much as I can now so we have a super time..

Thanks again esp for the links :-)

One thing we found useful when we did our LSD trip is that you go to the towns information / tourist center and they phone around and find you accomadation.

Very useful exspecialy with youngsters.

Cheers

Camper

Hi DubaiPienaars

Well here you are, hope this will suit you.

http://www.melbourne.visitorsbureau.com.au...b-adelaide.html

This is a complete itinerary for doing the trip, you either add in or take out that which you do not want.

Brilliant, thanks Mara. I am getting so excited now. Our first trip to Melbourne was so short (3 days) so we are looking forward to taking our time, esp our trip along great ocean road.

We are going to drive through to Adelaide - has anyone been there? Is there anything to see, should we stay overnight? and where? We will catch the train back to Melbourne :-)

Hi DubaiPienaars

have a look at this website Great Ocean Road and specificlaly some examples of itinaries

These are all the highlights along the way - 12Apostles and Otways was a must. Otway Fly is an experience

Maps of the area - Click on two state map and it shows you Great Ocean rd in contect to South Australia

FAQ

This should answer all your questions

Rgds

matman

Thanks Matman I really appreciate all this help!

Looking forward to the trip a great deal!

• 1 month later...

Hi Jannie

You do not by chance have pictures of Mount Gambier? I am interested in how this town look like. I found pictures ont he Internet of it but it is just the regular tourist pictures of the caves, sunken garden and blue lake.

If you have any pictures, do you mind posting them here?

thanks

Retha

Looking forward to the trip a great deal!

This is a great thread - we're (my wife, 2 year old daughter and myself) are also going to do this trip in early November, from Adelaide to Melbourne, and this information will come in very handy.

Any suggestions for reasonably-priced car hire ?

Regards,

Scott