Contributory Parent 143 Visa Support group

Elna57

On 2/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, CFDS said:

Hi All, 

This has been newly released on the DIBP website. Looks like effective 24th March 2021 the exemption will be applicable.

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/covid-19-visa-concessions?fbclid=IwAR3LjITJ-ygajJWYIcTUvmaHdZ-qCq60jpJ6qEzCcpS3hZZ0EiLmgoQ6l88

I can confirm this Temporary Concession in respect of COVID-19 commences on the 24th March 2021 (to eligible 143/173 and 103 visa applicants) - good luck everyone waiting - I'm looking forward to seeing that Lodged May 2016 date moving forward again!

Edited by TeeTMI
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeeTMI said:

I can confirm this Temporary Concession in respect of COVID-19 commences on the 24th March 2021 (for eligible applicants of the 143/173 and 103) - good luck to everyone waiting onshore - I'm looking forward to seeing that Lodged May 2016 date moving forward again!

On the 8th December I was asked to do my medical assessment, and police clearance certificate. I provided those, but have heard nothing since, nor received any feedback at all. Can anyone perhaps put my very anxious self at ease?  Is this due to the covid restrictions do you think?

Ta

Wendy

1 hour ago, WendyAllison said:

On the 8th December I was asked to do my medical assessment, and police clearance certificate. I provided those, but have heard nothing since, nor received any feedback at all. Can anyone perhaps put my very anxious self at ease?  Is this due to the covid restrictions do you think?

Ta

Wendy

When did you apply for your visa?

On 2/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, Moose2014 said:

Hi parent visa brains trust🤣,

Was wondering if anyone can help me with this question please? Is it possible to sponsor two sets of parents at the same time?

My parents applied for their 143 in August 2018 so still have a few more years to wait. They are hopefully arriving here in April (if all goes well) as my dad has secured a 482 visa and travel exemption. The 143 will then however be their way to stay here permanently.

My husband's parents now also want to apply for the 143.

I'm aware that there are requirements to be sponsors but I'm not able to find anything around how many people we can sponor at the same time.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

If you were the sponsor of your parents, then your husband could be the sponsor of his parents.

They just need one sponsor, normally a child.

If you both are giving your parents Assurance of Support, then you both could probably also give Assurance of Support to his parents IF you can meet the AOS criteria, which will now be much more strict for two parent visas. The best is to contact centrelink and ask them about being an assurer for two parent couples. 

See https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assurance-support/who-can-be-one

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys , 

My Parents applied for 143 back in 2018 . However now they are age of 67 and eligible to apply age parent category visa 804 . Also they are on-shore and do not have no-further stay condition . Do you think they can apply for 804 aged parent visa , because when they apply from on-shore it will provide bridging visa until the decision is made ( 30 years after ) . However they can stay in the bridging visa forever , and do not need to pay the big fat VAC fees as well . Please share your thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

Just providing a link to a post I have just made relating to an inquiry into the delays within the Family visas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry old info I posted , apologies.

Edited by SakkieJansevanRensburg

Since applying for my parents visa, my brother has since moved here and so all my siblings are now living here in Australia and we're all now citizens too. Does this information need to be updated anywhere in relation to the 143 application for my folks?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 7:45 PM, TeeTMI said:

Hot off the press
For anyone who has applied for a 143 (173) currently onshore and expecting their visa to be granted soon.

Whilst we are still waiting to see the required change in legislation - the media is reporting that the Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has stated that the temporary concession that allows parents not to have to travel offshore (during the COVID-19 period) in order for their visa to be granted will be extended to the Parent (subclass 103) visa, Contributory Parent (subclass 173) visa and Contributory Parent (subclass 143) visas.

The current expectation/suggestion is that this change in legislation will come into effect at some point during the first quarter of 2021.

Editing to add the link to the Press Release that is now out
https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/AlexHawke/Pages/parent-visa-applicants-remain-onshore-covid19.aspx

This legislation came into effect today permitting a variety of offshore/onshore visa grant options - but for those waiting for a 143 visa to be granted who are currently in Australia it means that, during the COVID-19 border issues, your visa can be granted without you needing to leave Australia. 

7 hours ago, TeeTMI said:

This legislation came into effect today permitting a variety of offshore/onshore visa grant options - but for those waiting for a 143 visa to be granted who are currently in Australia it means that, during the COVID-19 border issues, your visa can be granted without you needing to leave Australia. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean to offshare applicants?  I applied for an offshore 173 in May 2016.  They responded in December 2020, asking for my medicals and police clearance, which I submitted.  Since then I've heard nothing!?  Its so hard being in limbo like this.

14 hours ago, WendyAllison said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this mean to offshare applicants?  I applied for an offshore 173 in May 2016.  They responded in December 2020, asking for my medicals and police clearance, which I submitted.  Since then I've heard nothing!?  Its so hard being in limbo like this.

I can't comment on your individual case - it may not impact you at all?

It assists a number of Parent visa classes who are located in Australia, but without this legislation would be required to be outside Australia to be granted the legislation.  Plus, some Parents where they are currently located outside Australia, but who need to be in Australia to be granted the visa. 

17 hours ago, WendyAllison said:

@WendyAllison Have you heard anything yet?

Sorry that I haven't been in touch. So busy at work.

Hoping that you will be able to come over soon.

Keep checking your spam folder as well, just in case.

See you soon! 

• Like 1

Does anyone have the latest processing dates for the 143 visa? I never get it to work for me.

6 hours ago, Elna57 said:

@WendyAllison Have you heard anything yet?

Sorry that I haven't been in touch. So busy at work.

Hoping that you will be able to come over soon.

Keep checking your spam folder as well, just in case.

See you soon! 

@Elna57 Thank you for your encouragement sweet lady.  I check my spam folder and inbox several times a day :)  

21 hours ago, Mel-B said:

Does anyone have the latest processing dates for the 143 visa? I never get it to work for me.

The Dept of Home Affairs is still listing the processing of the 143  as up to May 2016.

It's a bit disheartening. They haven't updated their processing dates since the middle of February, so maybe that is just out of date.

Anyone got a rough estimate of how much longer it'll be before November 2018 applications might be looked at? I'm guessing another 2/3 years?

Hi,

Quick one re the balance of family test.. 

The immi website says 

A parent meets the balance of family test if:

- at least half their children and stepchildren are eligible children, or

- there are more eligible children than children living in any other single country

and

Meaning of ‘eligible child' and 'ineligible child'

A child is an eligible child if they are:

- an Australian citizen, or

- an Australian permanent resident usually resident in Australia, or

- an eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia

Any other child of the parent is an ineligible child. An ineligible child is taken to be resident overseas.

We don't consider children who are in Australia on a temporary visa as usually resident in Australia.

If a child’s whereabouts are unknown, we consider they are resident in their last known usual country of residence.

I interpret from the first quote that we'll pass the balance test between three children when:

- 1 Child is an Aus Citizen living in Aus,

- 1 Child is an Aus Citizen not living in Aus, and

- 1 Child is not an Aus Citizen living in RSA

But the second quote (and also the example on the same page) casts doubt on whether or not the Aus Citizen living abroad will qualify as an eligible child.

So, my understanding is that we actually won't pass the balance test. Thoughts?

Thanks,

T

Edited by Timmin

@Timmin

2 children are Australian citizens, one is not. In my opinion, even though 1 aussie citizen does not reside in Australia, is still a citizen and therefore you should meet the balance of family test requirements. 

It doesn't mention that the Australian citizen has to reside in Australia.

@TeeTMI could perhaps give you her thoughts on this?

On the matter of a Contributor Parent Visa 173, once the medicals are done & police clearance submitted, what is the next step I should expect?  

On 4/3/2021 at 3:11 PM, Timmin said:

Hi,

Quick one re the balance of family test.. 

The immi website says 

and

I interpret from the first quote that we'll pass the balance test between three children when:

- 1 Child is an Aus Citizen living in Aus,

- 1 Child is an Aus Citizen not living in Aus, and

- 1 Child is not an Aus Citizen living in RSA

But the second quote (and also the example on the same page) casts doubt on whether or not the Aus Citizen living abroad will qualify as an eligible child.

So, my understanding is that we actually won't pass the balance test. Thoughts?

Thanks,

T

Are you mixing up Citizens and Permanent Residents..?

Hi all, 

Just a quick update to all the members still awaiting approval. Hang in there!!!

We submitted at end of March 2016 and received final approval on 9 December 2020. Mad scramble put house on market and sold up everything. Happy to say we are on a repatriation flight which departs JHB on 10 April 2021 at 16:30 hrs. Did our covid tests today at the approved Qantas/Australian approved testing center. 

This flight is going to Darwin where we will quarantine at Howard Springs quarantine center. If all goes well there we will join our family in Silverdale NSW on 26 April as we fly from Darwin on the early flight. Been a long haul but we definitely believe it will be worth it. Will do a further update once we are in Sydney after quarantine is over.☺️

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:10 PM, Newfuture said:

This flight is going to Darwin where we will quarantine at Howard Springs quarantine center.

As a generalisation I have heard some very positive comments about the Darwin quarantine set up. 

Hope the flights went well and you are settling in - and welcome to Australia.