Contributory Parent 143 Visa Support group

Elna57

I've just seen the 20/21 budget update... only 4500 places? That's so disheartening.

At this rate, we'll be waiting until 2027 before our parents visa is assessed.

What are the chances of the number of places for parents being increased in future again?

What does "queue assessment" mean? 

It is very disheartening. Not sure how many years this will take now... 

19 hours ago, Mel-B said:

What does "queue assessment" mean?

Previously Queue Assessments were only undertaken on the non-contributory visa options. At that time the file was assessed so that if hey were not eligible for a visa that the application could be dealt with at that point in time.

In terms of the Contributory visa a Queue assessment this is a new development.  I assume that it means that a Case Officer will take an initial look at the application to check that the basic application details are in order.  

On 10/15/2020 at 7:50 PM, WendyAllison said:

image.thumb.png.e29f65ff99113d284b749305552f70d0.png

I found this on a news website.

Seems to be a proposal from Greens party, who seem to ally with the Labour Party, what they would do if they came into power.

So not much help unless they win an election soon.

image.png.a3ec956513d8349d79cdee294a1935df.png

PER626 - GRN - Clear the parent visa backlog within three years and then cap waiting times to twelve months.PDF

13 hours ago, MelW said:

I found this on a news website.

Seems to be a proposal from Greens party, who seem to ally with the Labour Party, what they would do if they came into power.

So not much help unless they win an election soon.

The Greens have historically been positive towards the Parent Visa.  In 2014 when several visas (Age Dependent Relative Visa, Remaining Relative Visa, Carer Visa and the Aged Parent Visa) including the Non-Contributory parent visas were ceased by the government  - Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young was able to get the legislation disallowed / overturned and these visas were reinstated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Am a newbie to this group and I have to say that I am so glad to be part of people travelling in the same boat.

Quick question: How do you know if your Parent Visa Application is acknowledged. Is an email sent to the applicant or the sponsor? How long has it taken to get an acknowledgement letter.

Thanks in advance!!

Kind regards,

Sru

Hi Sru999 - welcome to the forum.
You will receive confirmation that your application has been submitted. The Department usually advise it may take 6 weeks. 

Also worth keeping an eye on your junk/spam mail box just in case.

Hi. We applied back in September 2016 for my folks for the 143 visa, and still waiting. In the interim though, residential addresses have changed and just wondered if we need to inform them of the change and if so, how? Thank you

12 minutes ago, acmac said:

Hi. We applied back in September 2016 for my folks for the 143 visa, and still waiting. In the interim though, residential addresses have changed and just wondered if we need to inform them of the change and if so, how? Thank you

I applied in May 2016 and I'm still waiting too. Awful putting your entire life on hold like this.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:15 PM, Sru999 said:

Hello everyone!

Am a newbie to this group and I have to say that I am so glad to be part of people travelling in the same boat.

Quick question: How do you know if your Parent Visa Application is acknowledged. Is an email sent to the applicant or the sponsor? How long has it taken to get an acknowledgement letter.

Thanks in advance!!

Kind regards,

Sru

Welcome @Sru999.

On 9/25/2020 at 9:55 AM, vladkazowitz said:

Good evening everyone,

Would anyone know if there is a new email address we could reach the parent visa center at? We have just submitted a paper application and despite the courier delivery, no one has reached out to us confirming its receipt.

That makes us quite worried. And I did do a search in the forum but that email address no longer seems to be valid.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Vlad

@vladkazowitz What email address did you use?

1 hour ago, acmac said:

@acmac The new email address is parents@homeaffairs.gov. au

I think you need to fill in form 929 and email to that address. (Just google forms on the home affairs website)

And yes, you need to inform them of any changes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elna57 said:

This link tells you where to email the form to.

• Thanks 1

Just learnt form some friends that some Feb and March 2016 applicants have been asked to pay the 2nd VAC. Hope it moves faster ! God Speed!!

@CFDS Thank you forythe update. Great news!

@WendyAllison Soon!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 5:09 PM, acmac said:

Hi there.  You need to lodge a form 929 - 

Form 929 Change of contact and/or passport details

Sorry - just saw others had answered you already!
Edited by Megan123

We applied in February 2016 and have just been asked for the second visa payment.  I believe the visa usually is granted very soon after payment is made.  Is there a time frame within in which my MIL has to arrive in Australia after visa grant?  Sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find it!  Thank you

• Like 1

@Megan123My parents were recently given 12 months to enter. They were lucky enough to get on the repatriation flight last Friday and are now doing Quarantine in Perth. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, Robyn2259 said:

@Megan123My parents were recently given 12 months to enter. They were lucky enough to get on the repatriation flight last Friday and are now doing Quarantine in Perth. 

Thanks Robyn - 12 months is what I thought but just wanted to clarify.  Great your parents managed to get here - enjoy when you finally see them.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thank you for this great forum and all the information provided here. I have a question regarding my mom's situation. My mom applied for 143 visa in September 2017 and my dad was classified as a non migrating family member. However, in 2018 they got a divorce. I was wondering how to update this information and whether such situation can have a negative impact on visa outcome ?

Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question with regard to the 143 Visa.  From my understanding, once granted, MIL will be a permanent resident and if she wants to travel after 5 years, will need to either become a citizen or get a returning residents visa.  Are there different benefits available to her as a citizen as opposed to a permanent resident.  I know she will have to wait 10 years to be eligible for a age pension - would this be waived if she became a citizen after 5 years?  Also, does anyone know what her eligibility will be for aged care should she need it - would she be entitled to it as a permanent resident or would she need to be a citizen?  Any information would be appreciated - thanks very much