Academic IELTS Tips

NicoletteJ

Question

Does anyone have tips or links that they found helpful in preparing for the IELTS Academic? I can't seem to find anything on the forum, other than discussions on which test to do. I am awaiting feedback from "Sarah IELTS" who does Skype consults - did any of you find this option valuable? Thank you! I write on 8 April in Cape Town. 

19 answers to this question

For the reading and listening, same as General. Read/listen to the question very carefully. Often there is an answer that is similar but not correct. If they ask for three words and you give four, it is wrong. If you make a spelling mistake, it is wrong. I drew up a list of the words I usually get wrong and studied it, as well as alternative words for when under pressure.

For the writing, read the question very carefully and provide you answer based on the information provided and only the information provided. Do not draw from your own experience and opinions, you will lose marks. Structure is very important so study up on the structure.

if you get the practice tests, make sure you get the book for the level you are aiming at. You can also look on YouTube for some videos which can be quite helpful.

For speaking (and again, this is suitable for both), practice using one topic to leverage into another. I got shopping which I turned into shopping for my matric dance dress, which turned into a discussion on vintage clothing which turned into a conversation about antiques which turned into a chat about hobbies. You don't have to talk for the full time on the topic provided, you just have to start in the topic.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

My own experience was this:

I realised with the essay practice question that I had to relearn how to write an essay. Some of the knowledge was simply missing and some of it I forgot. I read up on the different essay types and things like topic sentences. I also had someone who had more experience reading and marking essays check my writing work and tell me how to improve the structure and arguments I made.  

I did every practice example on the road to IELTS website and searched for others online. 

With regard to the listening questions, I noticed in the practice and listening test that the last two answers are very easy to miss.

They give you time at the end of the listening test to check your answers (and transfer); the reality is that you will not remember most of the words you heard, this time is best used for copying and spell checking. When you have time in the test, check the section of work you just completed while it is fresh in your memory. 

• Like 2

Thank you both for the advice. I have found quite a few useful videos online and ended up downloading a package for $39 recommended by a MARA agent -  I really only want to do this test once!! In listening, I got 28/40 and when I saw where I went wrong, I realized that it was silly mistakes (I wrote 11h45 instead of 11:45). How I'm going to physically write essays is also going to be a challenge. I wrote a birthday card yesterday and got a cramp! :D:D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NicoletteJ said:

Thank you both for the advice. I have found quite a few useful videos online and ended up downloading a package for $39 recommended by a MARA agent -  I really only want to do this test once!! In listening, I got 28/40 and when I saw where I went wrong, I realized that it was silly mistakes (I wrote 11h45 instead of 11:45). How I'm going to physically write essays is also going to be a challenge. I wrote a birthday card yesterday and got a cramp! :D:D 

:lol:

If you practice doing the essays in the required time, you should be fine. :) 

Yes, they catch you on things like that, as well intentionally misspelling and respelling names. 

:lol: I hear you about the cramping! I am so used to typing and the last time I wrote essays was at varsity!

We wrote IELTS in August last year and the listening part (along with spelling) was probably the most challenging part for me. I remember the one question referred to the desert (you know, sand dunes and such) and I was trying to work out how to spell it. Such a basic word. I wrote desert, my husband wrote dessert.

One thing you could also consider is coming up with a few tricks of your own. The one question in the listening section had a whole lot of options (A-H) for a discussion on different modes of transportation. Instead of referring back to the options, I just wrote what they said "aeroplane" or "bus" down on the question paper and then in the half a minute afterwards referred to the options to get the corresponding letters for the answer sheet. I would have missed half the conversation if I'd referred back to A-H every time. Just a thought.

We did all the practice examples on the Road to IELTS and we were fine. Seeing the mock essay answers also helped for writing.  

There are a few sites.  You might look at

https://www.ieltsessentials.com/global/prepare/freepracticetests/academicwritingpracticetests

People who work with graphs and tables and are used to describing what is going on in them sometimes (although most don't) prefer the Academic test. 

@NicoletteJ I am also writing on 8th April but in JHB. I have written before and without any prior practice I got 8+ for all areas except for writing which was 7.5. I wrote the General. 

I have bought the Road to IELTS package now as well as 3 videos from LIz (see linked below). She explains the essay writing task 2 very nicely, in terms of format, what they look for, how to paraphrase, how to present main ideas, and supporting ideas, as well as the conclusion and linking words. 

http://ieltsliz.com/ielts-writing-task-2/

@PurpleFerri how did it go? I found the Academic reading the most tricky - the section on choosing headings seemed very vague! I have no idea what marks to expect, but hoping for 7's and above!!

Thanks everyone for the input.

@NicoletteJ It went ok. The listening and reading was fine, I did General though so not sure if the reading was the same. The writing was ok, but it was the speaking... I mean I get so nervous and feel like my sentences dont make any sense. So im worried about speaking. I need all 8's. 

Its my second try and last time missed all 8's by 0.5, so hopefully this time. 

We will see on 21st April. 

Goodluck! 

So relieved about my Academic IELTS results. It's weird that my lowest score was writing and I thought that part went really well! Anyway, I have enough points, that's the main thing.

Results

Listening: 9.0
Reading: 8.0
Writing: 7.0
Speaking: 9.0

Overall: 8.5

@PurpleFerri how did you do?

• Like 2

@NicoletteJ Thanks for the message, been checking the whole day and nothing was coming up. But after your mail, I checked, and I am soooo happy. I finally got all 8's for the 20 points that i need after taking two IETLS and 2 PTE. 

Well done and congrats Good luck with all moving forward. 

Listening:9.0

Reading:8.5

Writing:8.0

Speaking:8.5

Overall:8.5

• Like 3

That's fabulous news, @PurpleFerri! Well done :) I've been clicking the link all morning!

Now I'm just waiting for my skills assessment to do the EOI...

@NicoletteJ do you know how long it takes for our test report to be sent to us, as we need it for the EOI submission. I dont remember from the last time I did it. I just need that and then I can submit. Yippy! 

The minute I saw my results posted I called the office in Hyde Park asked them if they had it, they did, and I told them I was on thee waaay. Since I work about a km away I went straight to pick it up on crutches and all!

If you are close by is it at all possible to pick it up?

Edited by RussellJ

6 hours ago, PurpleFerri said:

@NicoletteJ do you know how long it takes for our test report to be sent to us, as we need it for the EOI submission. I dont remember from the last time I did it. I just need that and then I can submit. Yippy! 

I didn't realize we needed it for the EOI submission, only once we get an invite. I have no idea how long it takes. Good idea @RussellJ

• Like 1

@PurpleFerri did you get your certificate yet? I didn't collect mine and was under the impression it would be couriered by last Wednesday?