Obtaining a Naturalization certificate

CherylC

Hi everybody, 

Maybe someone has been in the same boat as me and could give some advice, please.

We are about to start our application for citizenship. I would like to retain my South African citizenship and now that I need to notify them before anything else.

Here is the thing: I was born in Zimbabwe (to South African parents), moved to South Africa at the age of four and became a RSA citizen through Naturalization  (I think). When reading through the RSA government websites, I need to include a Naturalization certificate in my application to retain my citizenship. I don't have one and my mom has passed away a few years ago and she would have known these answers like dates of our arrival in South Africa. 

Is there any agents in RSA who would be able to assist with advice or help, or even beter, if I could do all this through an agent here in Australia, please? 

You may be a South African by decent, not naturalisation.

• Like 1

Hi! I applied for a new RSA passport from Aus last year and had to send the determination of citizenship form with my application. I was born in UK to RSA & Zim (father)parents & moved to RSA when I was 8months old. My father is now a RSA citizen but got it because his father was one. No naturalisation certificates! I was sure I would be denied! I just wrote explanations on the form when asked re my father's citizenship and mine. No problems, passport arrived 3 months later. If both your parents are RSA citizens, you should be fine. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you very much, 20yearsoutofrsa and SML! That is fantastic! :-D