Is this employment related to your nominated occupation

matrx

Question

Happy New Year to all.

I would like to ask for advice. Im really not sure what to do anymore. I received an invite on 3/01/17 but a friend said I made a mistake on my EOI when i recorded all my work experience as yes on the question, " Is this employment related to the nominated occupation". The ACS had assessed me for equiv 5.5years meaning they shaved 2.5yrs of work experience. So i ticked yes for all 8years since i thought they are asking if it's only related to what i am applying for (developer). So my friend said what is deemed relevant is what the ACS considered to be relevant on their letter, that is, in my case the 5.5years and not all 8years. Please advice, if I go ahead with the visa lodging, will I be refused?or I should wait for the invitation to lapse then correct it.

Note: If i had only ticked yes to the 5.5 yrs considered by ACS, i would still be good at 65 points but i was invited with 70 points 

I would appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance.

6 answers to this question

@matrx. I made an error on my EOI( different one to you but it also resulted in me getting 5 extra points). I didn't realize I'd made the error until I'd already paid and submitted all my documents. They then requested extra information from me. Which alerted me to the error. I would strongly advise that you let your EOI lapse and try again later. It's not worth the stress of not knowing if they will reject your visa or not. My story: once I discovered the error I had to submit a form 1023 stating my mistake. Then a long wait not knowing if you've lost all that visa money. Then just before my 3 months waiting time they emailed to say they accept that it was an honest mistake and I need to email them to give them permission to change my points to 75 from 80. That was already over a month ago. Says usually it's sorted after 6 weeks, but nothing's definite in this process.

So in a nut shell... I would let your EOI lapse if you have realized it before submitting and paying. You will likely wait a whole lot longer than the average, and risk not getting the visa and loosing money in my opinion.

Hope everything works out for you!

• Like 2

I've heard that doing so is a common mistake, and a very big issue because it can be seen as a way to shortcut your invitation, even if you correct it in your visa application.

I would strongly recommend you let your invitation lapse, and fix it in two months. I'm not certain if the agent I consulted with was trying to scare me, but I was told that doing exactly what you did was immediate grounds for rejection.

Perhaps @SD_MOA can weigh in here :-)

• Like 2

HI @matrx

Try not to stress too much. I know that there were a few people in the 189/ 190 September lodge group who had also made unintentional mistakes on their EOIs and even actual Visa applications. Perhaps check in there. Think @HJL could help. 

• Like 2

On 07/01/2017 at 7:11 AM, HJL said:

@matrx. I made an error on my EOI( different one to you but it also resulted in me getting 5 extra points). I didn't realize I'd made the error until I'd already paid and submitted all my documents. They then requested extra information from me. Which alerted me to the error. I would strongly advise that you let your EOI lapse and try again later. It's not worth the stress of not knowing if they will reject your visa or not. My story: once I discovered the error I had to submit a form 1023 stating my mistake. Then a long wait not knowing if you've lost all that visa money. Then just before my 3 months waiting time they emailed to say they accept that it was an honest mistake and I need to email them to give them permission to change my points to 75 from 80. That was already over a month ago. Says usually it's sorted after 6 weeks, but nothing's definite in this process.

So in a nut shell... I would let your EOI lapse if you have realized it before submitting and paying. You will likely wait a whole lot longer than the average, and risk not getting the visa and loosing money in my opinion.

Hope everything works out for you!

Thank you @HJL We have decided to let it lapse. I have  silently followed your story for a while , the post you made on the 31st about the pain you are going through broke my heart. I wanted to tell you to be strong, but I thought it would be cowardly of me to say that, considering I have never had my patience tested the way you have. You are in our prayers .Just know know it will work out.Thank you.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2017 at 11:31 PM, Husky said:

HI @matrx

Try not to stress too much. I know that there were a few people in the 189/ 190 September lodge group who had also made unintentional mistakes on their EOIs and even actual Visa applications. Perhaps check in there. Think @HJL could help. 

Thank @Husky we will let it lapse . 60days is not that bad a wait. In the meantime we will write certifications to beef up CVs 

• Like 1

Hi have made the same mistake with my EOI, Just got invited for 491, worse part was I did not get those extra 5 points as I had not completed my 1 year. To my bad luck I got the invitation the same day my points went higher by 5. Not sure what to do ? As I work in a closely related occupation but not the same occupation . I am scared if my visa will refused.