NSW Drivers license conversions

vitchie

Oh goodness! I had heard about this but hoping it was a rumour...

So, clearly we need this letter but I assume it cannot be done anywhere in Cape Town? 

Ok so after sending 2 emails to all the email addresses on the system i still didn't get a reply so i called them and was put through to David who said he would work on it and email me before the end of the day.

Unfortunately NSW require the original and they dont send to offices in Durban so i guess we are going to have to try docassist and see how much damage it will be for these frikken pieces of paper!! :angry:

Honestly so sick and tired of this useless country and the non-existent service delivery and i pray this is the last thing before we can get out of here!

Does anyone know if this is a requirement in Victoria yet? I think I will try and get this letter before we leave in January just in case

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I believe this is now the requirement although we haven't landed yet to go and apply we contacted the RTMC (Road Traffic Management Corporation) via email and then on the phone to have the Verification of South African Drivers License Letters issued for my wife and i.

They don't post of courier the original and are only based in Pretoria so we had to arrange for someone to collect and then send to us and all that they needed at the RTMC was our ID Copies for someone to collect. Unfortunately we don't have family or friends that could help so we contacted DocAssist but they quoted me R1,324 just to collect 2 pieces of paper for my wife and i from RTMC!! :angry:

We used another company called South Coast Fingerprinting Services for our Police Clearance and all we had to do was go to out local policy station, do the paperwork, fingerprint and pay the R95 and then send via PostNet to PostNet and they handled the rest in PTA/JHB and that cost us R400 per application (R800 for my wife and i)

So i was trolling through a Facebook Group for Sydney and came across and advert for PostNet Pretoria CBD - https://www.facebook.com/postnetptacbd/?fref=ts 

I sent them a message and instantly got a reply this morning confirming that they offer the service above and also the service for Police Clearance Collection etc and for our documents above it was R400 for both and that included the R99 PostNet to PostNet overnight delivery charge!! :ilikeit:

I was utterly blown away by their service and will definitely recommend Philip & Christa on any of your document requests!

Hope this helps and all the best ;)  

• 2 weeks later...

We received our letters from SA for the driving license. Went to Coffs Harbour Service Center to apply for our licenses this morning.............and they did not even request the letters........hahaha. Gave them a copy anyway and they seemed unaware of the requirement. So either it is not required or the RMS smoke signal has not travelled from Sydney to Coffs yet!!

• Like 1

PS, the RMS in Hornsby didn't ask for this 3 weeks ago when I did mine or yesterday when my wife did her license conversion.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone have anything to update on this?

My hubby is leaving SA in May. Do we need to get this letter from SA or will they not ask for it? We are heading to Sydney.

Thanks! 

Hi LouiseMark,

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Its free and pretty quick to get if you are in in JHB/PTA vicinity.

Yes we did think we should get it but we don't know a soul up in Pretoria or JHB. We are in Cape Town. Guess we will have to sort a courier.

• 5 weeks later...

For anyone not in Pretoria - we emailed and got the letter in just a few days and then organised CITI-SPRINT couriers to collect for R160. All sorted!

Thanks for all this information. Is there a validity date ? or can we get it now and only use it in Jan 2018?

The letter my husband received has the date stamp it was issued but no expiration date. It does, however, state when your card will expire. I noticed that even though he did not specifically ask for it, they have issued him 2 letters - one for his drivers and one for his bike licence. It also gives the date you first got your drivers licence.

• 2 weeks later...

HI. When renewing your license in Aus, do you hand in your RSA one? And does it need to have a certain time left on its validity?

How do the licences work across state? 

What prevents you from popping over to victoria, where obtaining the license sounds less of a hassle, getting a licence and driving back to nsw? Surely the licences are valid across the country?

There is a time limit on how long you can use your SA licence here before you have to change to a local one. The local one has to have your residential address on it so you can't get one in one state and live in another. You also have a time limit on changing your address when you move house. Check on these time limits for your respective state. You can use licences interstate when travelling.