NSW Drivers license conversions

vitchie

Hi guys

I see quite a few posts on the Australia related Facebook pages where people seem to be struggling to get their drivers licenses converted, apparently there is some new requirement in the past 3 weeks for confirmation from the consulate or something. Does anybody have more info on this?

The current recommendation is to go to another service center as not everyone has implemented it yet, I'm just afraid all of them have implemented this by the time I try in 2 weeks time.

As far as I remember that incident was a one-off case, the requirements for conversion have not changed as far as I am aware

I saw another person on Facebook that was turned away this morning, apparently it's a new thing that was introduced 3 weeks ago, does anybody know about this?

vitchie,

I have read up on the Roads and Maritime website and RSA Licence holders are still accepted without restriiction. I attach herewith the link for your review (See recognised Country 'B': http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/moving-to-nsw.html

Good luck

• Like 2

Thanks, I will you all know when I apply in 2 weeks time.

Thanks for this link @vitchie & @TakeItOnTheChin :) 

I also saw a few posts regarding this and it seems as though it depends on the office you visit as some require additional information from SA and the following link was given so i guess no harm in trying to get this letter from them beforehand as a precaution ;) 

http://www.dirco.gov.za/consular/drivers_license.htm 

• Like 1

Pleasure @ChrisH 

I have emailed them now so will keep you posted once i hear back... ;) 

4 hours ago, Deezo said:

Pleasure @ChrisH 

I have emailed them now so will keep you posted once i hear back... ;) 

look forward to your experience on this. Please do let us know.

can you apply for this at anytime? Is there an expiry from issue of this letter(shouldn't really but hey worth asking I guess lol)

cheers.

• Like 2

I emailed them and less than 24 hours they replied that it is ready to collect in Faerie Glen, Pretoria east, now I must just make a plan to drive to Pretoria before my car is sold.

• Like 2

Hi All

I am in Sydney, been here 2 months. Just went to get my license and was turned away since I didn't have this letter. It is across the board in NSW. It may be different in other states though.

They also want the original, so no idea how I will get this.

@vitchie who did you email? what exactly did you ask for? Thank you

• Like 1

Oh gosh ok well fortunately we are still in SA so we will try everything we can to get it before we leave in January ;)  

How are you going to get it from Aus??

I have emailed them in Faerie Glen, hoping they respond.

I have some friends coming here in the next month or so, so hopefully I can arrange for the documents to be collected by them and then they will bring them to me.

But on another note, I have to tell you, the 'department' I went to today looked more like a very modern bank, extremely helpful and efficient...NOT helpful enough to let this one slide though, since everything by the book.

• Like 1

If you are not in SA then you can use a company called DOCASSIST who will obtain the document for you and courier the originals. I emailed them this morning because I need the same. They mentioned it takes two weeks to obtain the document after application. Email Renata at admin@docassist.co.za. They will need a scanned copy of you ID, etc.

• Like 1

I collected my and my wife's documents from Faerie Glen yesterday, will post a picture of the document tonight.

Maybe try to email this person with your ID number and ask if it is ready for collection: moshianem@rtmc.co.za

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GarethBianca said:

@vitchie who did you email? what exactly did you ask for? Thank you

Hi, I emailed info@rtmc.co.za with a request for the letter and provided them with my ID number. I got confirmation for mine from  moshianem@rtmc.co.za

My wife also emailed info@rtmc.co.za and never got confirmation email, I emailed  moshianem@rtmc.co.za directly to ask if my wife's document is done and got reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vitchie said:

I collected my and my wife's documents from Faerie Glen yesterday, will post a picture of the document tonight.

Maybe try to email this person with your ID number and ask if it is ready for collection: moshianem@rtmc.co.za

Hi Vitchie,

how were queues? Was is relatively quick or not?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, RussellJ said:

Hi Vitchie,

how were queues? Was is relatively quick or not?

Thanks.

Not too bad, I arrived at 14:15 and left 15 minutes later. They are open until 16:30