From Randburg to Sydney

vitchie

Hi all

Well I suppose it is about time I start writing the journal of our journey as the departure date is fast approaching.

For years my wife wanted to move to Australia, but I didn't want to hear anything about it. I couldn't even bear to think about moving to Cape Town, let alone another country. In April 2015 something changed from me, I think load shedding might have brought it on, but in all honesty I think the illusion of safety and a secure future just started to slowly dissolve for me.

I first looked at the USA, but soon realised that for the change I was looking for, the USA won't be the place for us. We booked our tickets and went on a LSD trip in July 2015 and saw Melbourne, Sydney and a quick 3 day visit to Auckland, New Zealand just cover all our bases.

After the trip we decided to go for it. As per the details in my signature, we progressed through the VISA process relatively quickly (Aug 2015 - May 2016). Could have done it a bit quicker if I did the Pearson's test sooner. 

After we got our VISA we put our house on the market. It took VERY long to sell. Have a pretty standard house with high level of finishes in a decent suburb, so we were a bit surprised that it took from May - September to sell. It is still in the process now and should transfer in the middle of November.

We decided to make the move as family at the end of December, so we booked 4 1 way tickets through Discovery/Kulula/Qantas and got our 30% vitality discount. On Friday I got a job offer after applying for around 150 positions and having telephonic interviews with +- 4 companies. The only catch with the offer, I have to start 23 November. Eeek!. 

So on the weekend I booked another single return ticket for me through Qantas directly. I couldn't get the Discovery discount as you have to book at least 6 weeks in advance. I fly out on 19 November and return to RSA on 22 December for Christmas and to fetch my wife and kids. Our container is booked to be packed by Biddulphs on 23 - 25 November.

I will update this thread with more posts as time goes on and as I think of more relevant info.

Now to start packing!

• Like 6

Good news about the job... where do you plan to settle?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mara said:

Good news about the job... where do you plan to settle?

Thanks Mara.

We have the following suburbs on our shortlist: West Pennant Hills, Castle Hill, Cherrybrook, Kellyville, Hornsby, Turramurra. Anything sort of close to one of those and perhaps close to a train station will be ideal.

I am staying with friends in Turramurra for the first month while I hunt for a rental.

Edited by vitchie
  • Like 3

Well enjoy Sydney...

• Like 1

@vitchie

150 job applications! I admire your grit. We've only just lodged our visas and I am still in two minds as to whether to start applying for jobs now or rather wait for our visa grant. I am tending towards the latter.

Hope all goes well in Sydney.

• Like 1

Great news @vitchie, from a fellow Randburg resident, wish you a smooth journey and hope to see you in Sydney.

I can totally relate to your story, and with regards to the job situations, you right, just keep applying.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I must say this is the most stress I have ever experienced in my life. Sitting here at work currently, my stomach has been in knots for the past week. I thought I had a stomach bug, but now I'm thinking that it might be my nerves.

Did any of you experience this extreme anxiety and emotional turmoil within the last 4 weeks before getting on the plane and some advise on how to shake this crappy feeling? I'm like a zombie at night even struggling to enjoy the last bit of precious time I have left with them before I go.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vitchie said:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I must say this is the most stress I have ever experienced in my life. Sitting here at work currently, my stomach has been in knots for the past week. I thought I had a stomach bug, but now I'm thinking that it might be my nerves.

Did any of you experience this extreme anxiety and emotional turmoil within the last 4 weeks before getting on the plane and some advise on how to shake this crappy feeling? I'm like a zombie at night even struggling to enjoy the last bit of precious time I have left with them before I go.

@vitchie Its hard and difficult. I don't think that there is one sure way to shake the feeling. I found embracing the future, seeing a new country as an an adventure before I left helped me get through.

Since you have already secured employment prior to you even arriving I think one of the MAJOR stresses of the move has been eliminated and as such you can embrace these last few precious weeks a little more. My advice- focus on the things you can enjoy at home before you leave. My final weeks went by too quickly due to having to pack, get documents together, close accounts, see family. Try and make a list of your non-negotiables that you want to do before departing and stick to it. That final braai; visiting your favorite restaurant/pub; round of golf at your favorite course and of course spending some time with all the people you will miss!

• Like 4

All the best @vitchie :) 

It must be even harder knowing that you are going out on your own first too but at least you can settle yourself and be a pillar or hope and strength for your family when they join you on the leg back in December ;) 

Embrace every moment and live with a new-found respect and im sure everything will be just fine!

We are still behind you but will hopefully by making our way to Sydney soon :rolleyes:

• Like 1

We just heard that my cousin will be taking both of our dogs! It is such a big relief as we have not had any luck with all the ads we have placed for our 2 dogs. At least we can visit them in the future when we visit SA since they will be with family!

• 3 weeks later...

Our house transferred this week and the money is in my account. I have now contacted Exchange4Free to transfer the proceeds to my assie account.

The guy that was going to buy my car dropped me last minute, so now I have to take the dealership's offer as nobody else is interested. At least they are offering R10k more than webuycars.

Edited by vitchie
  • Like 1

Congrats @vitchie :) 

One more things ticked off the list ;) 

Hope you can sell your cat soon!

5 hours ago, Deezo said:

Congrats @vitchie :) 

One more things ticked off the list ;) 

Hope you can sell your cat soon!

Sell the car or sell the cat?!!  :o

• Like 1

The time is getting really close now. Handed my car in at BMW yesterday and had my farewell and last day at work today.

2 days to wrap things up at home and pack my bags.

Ah so exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time I'm sure! All the best for your trip.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nickyvd said:

Ah so exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time I'm sure! All the best for your trip.

Thanks, will update everyone from the other side.

• Like 2

Hoping all goes smoothly and that the inevitable emotions are not too overwhelming. Enjoy your last few days in SA.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

HI all

Thought I'd post our story here.

I landed in Sydney on 22 November and started work 3 days later. Work was not my cup of tea at all and I didn't fit in well. I had to manage offshore development teams in Pakistan and Russia, we have had some code comments etc in Russian. Biggest mistake was that I had a return ticket for Christmas and that all of us were going to come through after Christmas. Our container was still on South African soil. We because I left a back door open, we decided to not get on the plane and stayed in South Africa. 

Well, now a few months down the line we cannot accept all that is wrong in SA while we have an active PR visa. We have decided to give it another go and flying back to Australia on 17 June 2017. This time my expectations might be a bit more realistic. Also I am trying to look at this as an adventure and trying to avoid "permanence". The moment I think permanent I get freaked out. We are committing to 4 years and getting those passports. I really hope we integrate after 4 years and start appreciating the lifestyle, if not we can always return to SA if we really still want.

Crazy few months, but it has been quite enlightening. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, vitchie said:

HI all

Thought I'd post our story here.

I landed in Sydney on 22 November and started work 3 days later. Work was not my cup of tea at all and I didn't fit in well. I had to manage offshore development teams in Pakistan and Russia, we have had some code comments etc in Russian. Biggest mistake was that I had a return ticket for Christmas and that all of us were going to come through after Christmas. Our container was still on South African soil. We because I left a back door open, we decided to not get on the plane and stayed in South Africa. 

Well, now a few months down the line we cannot accept all that is wrong in SA while we have an active PR visa. We have decided to give it another go and flying back to Australia on 17 June 2017. This time my expectations might be a bit more realistic. Also I am trying to look at this as an adventure and trying to avoid "permanence". The moment I think permanent I get freaked out. We are committing to 4 years and getting those passports. I really hope we integrate after 4 years and start appreciating the lifestyle, if not we can always return to SA if we really still want.

Crazy few months, but it has been quite enlightening. 

I hope you've booked a one-way ticket ;)

Hope things go well second time round.