Beginning a life in Australia

ABC123

I came across this link on one of the Facebook pages and thought I would share it here as it looks like a really useful document for those of us just starting our lives in Australia.

https://www.dss.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/01_2015/beginning_a_life_in_australia.pdf

• Like 8

• Mara pinned this topic

@ABC123 That looks like a great link, thank you. I have pinned it, so it will stay at the top of the section.... makes it easier for people to find! Well done!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great info pack, thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just a flyer - know it will probably be tough to answer. What would be a fair amount to allocate to rent per week. Perhaps a 3rd of your weekly income or closer to half? (Example weekly earnings after tax $1150 - so 1 3rd is about $380 and half is $575) planning to buy at least 1st car cash on arrival. Any advice would be appreciated in terms of budgeting. (Will not be living in metropolitan areas)

Edited by TeachinginSA

Hi

To start off with I would suggest that you go with 1/3 - ie follow the same principle you applied in South Africa to how much of your income you were prepared to pay towards your rent or mortgage.  

I would suggest that it is easier to start in a less $$ place and then move up to a better place when you find that your funds will stretch further than you think, than having to move to a less $$$ place after having lived in a nicer house/suburb (although bear in mind that each move will cost you money).

If you are living in a smaller town there is probably only 1 school in any event, so zoning shouldn't be an issue to get your child into a better school.

• Like 2

Just going on the numbers you mentioned, it's quite reasonable to look for a 3 bedroom house at, or just under $400 pw, especially since you say you are not going to live in the metropolitan areas. It might be a good idea to go look on realestate.com.au at rentals in your area to see what they are going for, and what is available.

I agree with @Sunnyskies that it might be better at first to look for a place a little lower in your range rather than higher, live there a year or so while you scope out the area and then once you know what's on, move to a place you like more.

• 1 month later...

Very useful information to have once you land that side.

Thank You for sharing, definitely something I will put to good use

• 11 months later...
On 2/13/2017 at 12:21 AM, TeachinginSA said:

Hi all, just a flyer - know it will probably be tough to answer. What would be a fair amount to allocate to rent per week. Perhaps a 3rd of your weekly income or closer to half? (Example weekly earnings after tax $1150 - so 1 3rd is about $380 and half is $575) planning to buy at least 1st car cash on arrival. Any advice would be appreciated in terms of budgeting. (Will not be living in metropolitan areas)

Realestate.com.au can be useful to get an indication. Of course you need to have an idea of what areas to look at. Google maps/satelite/street view can also be useful if you're not able to visit in person.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...