Removalists

Blossom

As I posted before, we are moving from the Hills to Hallett Cove and I managed to find a removal company after many phone calls. I am just a wee bit worried about this particular one. The guy told me that they are 25 years in the business and that they are pro's. But still....

The house that we are moving to is a rental one and the whole place has been professionally cleaned. The carpets are spotless, what if they dirty the carpets when moving the stuff in? How do I prevent dirty boot marks all over the carpets? Surely I cant expect the poor guys to remove their boots. And why do they only work with two guys and why do they charge by the hour? And why do they charge from their place of location and not from the time they arrive at my doorstep at my old address? And what is a reasonable hourly rate? One co wanted to charge $125 per hour! This one is $85 per hour and they estimated that it will take them about six hours from start to finish.

So many questions.... :blush:

Regards,

Betsy.

Hi Betsy

I will try answer some of your questions haivng done a few moves here in Aus already.

It seems to be a std thing with local removal companies thay they are a 2-3man show - you never get hoards of people. We have only had good experiences - they work hard and they work fast.

All of them have charged from their location so u need to check where they are based as you could be $85 out of pocket before you have moved anything. From experience I don think there is a std hourly rate - you need to phone around.

For the dirt etc - buy some cheap carpetting or matting (Offcuts) and place at all entrances - they wont wipe feet so make it a long strip. Again from experience they did not make alot of mess with shoes - not much more than day to day walking in and out of house - If they have to go through flowerbeds or walk across garden to get to house that will be different story.

This is kind of hit and miss and unless you can find someone to recommend someone for you - you wont know until they rock up. maybe phn the $125 company and see how lng it will take them - maybe they bring more than 2 people and maybe faster.

Rgds

matman

Hallo Matman,

Thanks for replying and the suggestions. This co is in Fullerton street, the other one in Salzbury (spelling?). So it will be this one. Luckily it's all paved there so dirt shouldn't be a problem.

There is still so much to learn about our new home and country...we'll get there....

Thank you again for being the only one to reply.

Regards,

Betsy.

Hi Betsy,

A suggestion regarding the carpets ....... cut open the large black dirt bin bags and lay them along the carpets where these guys need to walk.

I have also seen rolls of thickish plastic which you can purchase at the hardware store (Bunnings or Mitre 100) - not too expensive. you can then roll some of this out along the carpets. These rolls are used by the Tradies for painting and other similar tasks.

SAS

Thanks, will do so. Now for the packing...again.

Luv,

Betsy.

Thanks, will do so. Now for the packing...again.

Luv,

Betsy.

Betsy

Just wanted to say Welcome to Hallett Cove for when you get moved, if you fancy popping over for a cuppa anytime just let me know when.

We are just off Barramundi - which part are you moving to.

Jeanette

Betsy, that all sounds quite normal to me. The cheapest I've ever seen was $70 an hour. They all charge per hour and from their point of origin and 2 guys is the norm. Our guys were so dedicated to getting the job done, they didn't even want a coffee or a sandwich! ;) I would get some of the carpet protector plastic sheets from Bunnings. They're brilliant. Good luck and let us know if you need any help carting smaller bits and pieces around in our 4x4. :huh:

Betsy

Just wanted to say Welcome to Hallett Cove for when you get moved, if you fancy popping over for a cuppa anytime just let me know when.

We are just off Barramundi - which part are you moving to.

Jeanette

Hi Jeanette,

I don't know where is my backside from my front side at the moment, all I know is that it is in Barndoo street, just off Perry Barr street, neat the train station. I would realy, realy like to visit, thanks. I crave female conversation, being in a all male environment most of the time.

Talk to you soon,

Regards,

Betsy.

Betsy, that all sounds quite normal to me. The cheapest I've ever seen was $70 an hour. They all charge per hour and from their point of origin and 2 guys is the norm. Our guys were so dedicated to getting the job done, they didn't even want a coffee or a sandwich! ;) I would get some of the carpet protector plastic sheets from Bunnings. They're brilliant. Good luck and let us know if you need any help carting smaller bits and pieces around in our 4x4. :huh:

Hi Annette,

Dankie vir die aanbod, sal dit beslis oorweeg. Ons behoort reg te kom want daar is 'n klomp goed soos klere en ornamente wat ek gaan skenk aan die St Vinnies shoppie hier in Aldgate. Hulle is te dankbaar vir die goed.Eintlik moes ek van al die onnodige goed ontslae geraak het in S.A. maar ek het toe nie en nou sit ek met dit. Mens vergader heeltemal te veel...tyd om weg te gee.

groete,

Betsy.