Wolf Wanders

GenDemo

Re polony:  In WA it is still called polony.  In other states it is called Fritz but I think Melbourne call it Devon.  Ask somebody in the deli section of the supermarket (the cold meat and salad counter were somebody serves you).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RYLC said:

Re polony:  In WA it is still called polony.  In other states it is called Fritz but I think Melbourne call it Devon.  Ask somebody in the deli section of the supermarket (the cold meat and salad counter were somebody serves you).

Aha...we'll try that. The lady at the local Woolies was very friendly when we asked her about the feta, and gave us a whole selection of samples (5 or more different cheeses) so we could pick the one we like. I'm sure she'll be happy to help us with polony :)

We have also found that most staff in Australia are so much friendlier, and they really want to help you. We love it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GenDemo said:

...but don't expect to move heaven and earth with your internet speed. Last year I was finding out about the internet packages, but I just could not figure out what the line speeds were. Now for those who know me, I am a very tech savvy person, so I know where to search on the net and how to analyze these things, but I just couldn't find anything. So I went into a shop and asked...the guy looked at me like I was an alien. "What do you mean what speed is the internet?" he asked after a minute. So feeling like an idiot already, I asked "Like do you get different connection speeds one can choose?". "oh yes" he says and I am flooded with relief, "you can choose between mobile, or fixed line.". Then we stand in silence for a couple of seconds before I realise there is no more. "So what speeds are they?" I ask again. He replies, "Well mobile is a 3G connection, and a fixed line is either ADSL or NBN." and he says this with an air of someone who just solved the world's problems in one short simple elegant solution. "yes, but what speed is the ADSL?" I ask. Then he looks irretated, "What do you mean what speed is ADSL, its ADSL." he states matter of factly. So I felt really stupid and walked out of the store.

GD

We hear you. Have the same problem. We had better internet in Pretoria with our ADSL (although Telkom was off for 3 weeks every 3 months and 2 days a week every 3 weeks, for who knows WHY???) It might be slow here but at least its on. And if you call they answer the phone. So there are benefits.

• Like 2

For those who need more info on the elusive internet speeds check this link for exchange speeds:

http://www.tpg.com.au/maps/

We sit on EXACTLY the edge of 2 exchanges. So we get poor speed and latency. <_<

Unfortunately we got totally spoilt by having Fibre To The Home for the last year in RSA, so we had just got used to 100mbps speed with a 8ms ping. So that set the bar a bit high. :lol: Currently in Tecoma (Belgrave) we get 11.4mbps with an 18ms ping. But the funny thing is...we are convinced that some downloads run faster. We think this is because the speed is very stable, it hardly varies at all. And in RSA we got an average great rate, but it was wildly fluctuating.

13 minutes ago, Mel-B said:

For those who need more info on the elusive internet speeds check this link for exchange speeds:

http://www.tpg.com.au/maps/

We sit on EXACTLY the edge of 2 exchanges. So we get poor speed and latency. <_<

Ouch...

Oh! That is a wonderful link!

Edited by RedPanda
I just followed the link

I'm thinking our next address will be determined by that link :P 

• Like 1

@GenDemo, that was like reading a John Grisham novel that ends unexpectedly and leaves you wanting more...kikiki, i really enjoyed your write-up, anxiously waiting for the second part

• Like 2

Sunbury, anyone? Hehe!

• Like 1

Love this thread...on the polony...be carefull because I remember in the Brisbane supermarkets they sold items similarly packaged as our polony - placed right next to (or part of) the meat section, which is in actual fact dog food...be careful and look at the picture :D

Also, what is your experience with shopping trolleys in Aus? Do they still run as shew as they use to? I believe Aussies can't make trolleys that runs in a straight line...or is that just a Brisbane problem?

• Like 2

Yes, we got used to the internet speed pretty quickly, 

As for the traffic, the Aussies complain all the time how rude people are on the roads, and how scary some people drive. They must have seen I looked at them funny, because they asked me to explain and were horrified to hear that in SA, scary driving means being boxed in by 4 taxis, one of which is on the wrong side of the road and one of which is driving on the pavement....

I also love the fact that you can buy decent, salon-grade hair product in supermarkets, and independent shops instead of only hairdressing salons - and there are a lot of specials on hair products, whereas none of that in SA...

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up on the internet speed! We got fibre at home (Joburg) recently and love the high speed when we get it, but of course it is unreliable. 

So at 20MBPS, is it stable to stream more than one account? We're theoretically at 100mbps at home (never get that, of course) but even when speedtest tells me we're getting 30mpbs I can't necessarily watch Netflix while hubby plays an online game, one or the other ends up showing latency issues. But I can believe that a more stable connection will work well at 20 mbps.

On 16/08/2016 at 1:42 AM, Mara said:

Sunbury, anyone? Hehe!

No Mara! Naughty!:offtopic::P

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tntaglia said:

Thanks for the heads up on the internet speed! We got fibre at home (Joburg) recently and love the high speed when we get it, but of course it is unreliable. 

So at 20MBPS, is it stable to stream more than one account? We're theoretically at 100mbps at home (never get that, of course) but even when speedtest tells me we're getting 30mpbs I can't necessarily watch Netflix while hubby plays an online game, one or the other ends up showing latency issues. But I can believe that a more stable connection will work well at 20 mbps.

We just streamed two YouTube videos in HD simultaneously, and there seemed to be no problem there. We also watch the back episodes of MasterChef from TenPlay without any issues. I guess we'd have to check what gaming online on two PCs does. But so far it looks good.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about the numbers behind internet speed but this is what I know in practice:  My sister in RSA can't use video skype to us - only voice and it breaks up all the time.  It's so bad that we don't bother any more.  Here in Oz we have four people at a time live streaming shows and games with hardly an issue. We have ADSL here.  In practical terms, Oz has proved to be better for us.

• Like 2

AH Gendemo I loved reading this haha and how true...how I miss chicken viennas :P

(if you don't mind I would like to add another observation)....

You know how you get boerewors rolls at the Builder's warehouse or Spar on weekends? You know, the boerewors or even the vienna in a long roll? Here you get a sausage type thing wrapped in a slice of ordinary bread! Hahaha I thought they ran out of rolls (many a time on a Sunday night you'll see the the Spar/Builder's braaiers using bread since they ran out of rolls) BUT NOOOO, they always use sliced bread here - Ha I laughed :lol: 

Edited by Odendaal
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RedPanda said:

We just streamed two YouTube videos in HD simultaneously, and there seemed to be no problem there. We also watch the back episodes of MasterChef from TenPlay without any issues. I guess we'd have to check what gaming online on two PCs does. But so far it looks good.

I think gaming is less of a drag on internet speed than HD streaming - we have often multiplayed online with 2PCs even at 4mbps (if the connection is stable) so if youtube HD works on two devices I'm sure we'll be fine. Thanks!

@GenDemo THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one struggling to find information about the internet speeds in Aus! I mailed NBN and literally got the same reply you verbally got... its ADSL. :D Was also very surprised at the low amount of data available on their mobile connection packages. At CellC I can easily buy a data package for 100Gig but it does not seem that the option is even available in Aus except as a out of bundle top-op? Well, we will figure it out once we get there, for now I still have a ton of other admin to do.

Good luck on that side, hope you guys are having a blast!

Is there one overall monopoly of an internet provider (Telkom comes to mind) in Aus or is it an open industry?  I assume each area would also have its stronger players.

Yep, there is a telecoms monopoly,  its called the National Broadband Network.

The labour government started it as a way to lay fibre cables for ISPs to use. You don't have two connections to the power grid, why have multiple fibre optic cables? So, great idea.

But , to get the funding approved, they had to agree to use the profits from the built up areas to subsidise internet in the rural areas. Bad idea. The execution of the NBN was badly done, took a lot longer than expected and wasted a lot of money. Bad Idea.

Then Malcom Turnbull stepped in; he said the fibre cables were the issue behind the slow roll out and cost blowouts.. So, he bought back the HFC (cable internet) network they had sold to Telstra a decade ago. The old HFC is now the NBN. So, now instead of making Telstra's shareholders rich, the profits go to providing high speed internet in the rural areas. Not too bad. But peeps in Sydney and Melbourne don't get fibre internet. Bad!

But, the original CEO of the NBN recently pointed out that, while fibre is expensive to lay, the running costs are much lower and you can charge more for it. So, laying fibre cables was a much better idea financially. Malcom only ever released some dodgy figures to explain why buying back the HFC network was a superior plan to fibre.

So, the NBN has gone from good idea, bad execution... to bad idea, with better execution. But while the politicians fight... only TPG is laying any fibre (in select neighbourhoods). The other ISPs are just too scared to invest any money. The government is even going to court to stop TPG laying fibre as it hurts the NBN ?!?!

So, not only isn't the NBN going to install fibre to my home, they are going to stop anyone else who tries to.  That makes the NBN no better than Telkom in my book ;)

Edited by monsta

On 8/17/2016 at 0:34 PM, Odendaal said:

You know how you get boerewors rolls at the Builder's warehouse or Spar on weekends? You know, the boerewors or even the vienna in a long roll? Here you get a sausage type thing wrapped in a slice of ordinary bread! Hahaha I thought they ran out of rolls (many a time on a Sunday night you'll see the the Spar/Builder's braaiers using bread since they ran out of rolls) BUT NOOOO, they always use sliced bread here - Ha I laughed :lol: 

It's called a Sausage sizzle, they do them as fund raisers. ;) I read about them online, and couldn't wait to try one, but certain people have been super sceptical about them...

31 minutes ago, RedPanda said:

It's called a Sausage sizzle, they do them as fund raisers. ;) I read about them online, and couldn't wait to try one, but certain people have been super sceptical about them...

Haha, i was one of those people that went to builders just for the wors roll, but still ended up coming back with a packet full of stuff :-)

The sausage sizzles here are not bad, especially now since i found a few bunnings serving them in rolls :-)

Also its for a good cause.

• Like 1