AITSL Skills Assessment - Secondary School Teacher

Darran

Question

Good day all,

Has anyone on the forum successfully achieved a positive skills assessment from AITSL as a Secondary School Teacher?

My question is related specifically to the Supervised Teaching Practice.  It states that a Secondary School Teacher teaches children from 13-18 and that the minimum 45 days supervised teaching practice needs to have been done over this age range.

My wife did a PGCE in Senior and Further Education Training, and as such only supervised students from age 15-18 (grade 10-12) during her practical.

If it states on her letter from the University that she only supervised this age range, will it count against it her for the skills assessment?

Many thanks!

Edited by Darran

5 answers to this question

Hi Darren

I am a secondary school teacher. My methods are Mathematics and Physical Science. During my PGCE my supervised practical teaching was only done for Gr8, 9 and 10. The school did not want student teachers 'messing' with their Gr11's and 12's. The agent we are using is perfectly happy with all my documentation for the AITSL application and never once said I had to have taught each age group.

Hope this helps... 

Oh, forgot to say that our agent is MARA registered so they know what they are doing.

I also have a problem here.  I did my PGCE through Unisa and was exempted from supervised teaching as I had already been teaching for a year.  so now I have never completed 45 days of supervised teaching.

I am in the same boat .. completed my PGCE (Senior and FET Phase) last year. I was granted exemption for both my teaching pracs due the fact that I have 8 years of prior teaching experience. Every agent I have spoken to so far says that I must have completed my supervised teaching pracs. Surely the fact that I was granted exemption by UNISA shows that I have met the required competencies? Anyone have any advice?

Hi @sagunner I know this is an old post but just wanted find out if you made any headway with your assessment. We are in exactly the same boat and it would be good to know how you went.