SASydneysider: Hi to Everyone!!

SASydneysider

My hubby and I left SA in 1999 for Auckland in New Zealand. Lived there for 3.5 years and have now been in Aus (Sydney, NSW) since 2003.

I'm looking forward to just chatting and hopefully will make some friends in the process too.

Coming to Aus has been a rough ride for us jobwise as well as trying to make friends (not successful yet).

We live in The Hills District (Dural, right next to Cherrybrook).

Moving country is not for the faint hearted, but I must admit, it was easier to do the second move to Aus. Financially very taxing though.

Cheers

Edited by SASydneysider

Hi SASydneysider!

I moved to Sydney in November 2005 with my hubby and 2 kids (ages 13 and 10) from Midrand. The move has so far gone smoothly, although not without its hiccups! I also live in the Hills (in Cherrybrook) and have met some good friends here - mostly from the ex-pat community for now. I'd happily introduce you and hubby to us all - we are planning to have a braai soon and get everyone introduced. I work with 3 other SA ladies and one of my colleagues is married to a KZNer, so you should find some broad shoulders! We've all been through the same upheaval and I'm sure we can offer each other support.

Riekie is also fantastic and has been a source of inspiration to me. She also lives in the area, so we'll get her and her hubby involved too.

Don't be shy to ask for help on this forum - that's why it's here!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you to set something up!

Hi there

Welcome! Hope you have a lovely time here and just ask if you have any questions. Well that makes 3 in Sydney so far. GREAT!!

Hi there SASydneysider!

We moved to Sydney from South Africa in November 2004. We also live in the Hills - Baulkham Hills, a few minutes drive away from Dural. We have two children (12 & 19) - the 19 year old, lives & studies in Perth. He was backpacking Australia, fell in love with Perth and stayed there! After all that effort to get all of us to Australia, I now have to take a 5 hour flight to see my son! At least he's happy in his little spot in the world!

There's a lot of South Africans in the Hills (as I'm sure you know already) - maybe we can get together for a coffee sometime. Madelein (another forumite) & I are tempted by the cheesecakes - feel like joining us?.....

Hi SASydneysider!

I moved to Sydney in November 2005 with my hubby and 2 kids (ages 13 and 10) from Midrand. The move has so far gone smoothly, although not without its hiccups! I also live in the Hills (in Cherrybrook) and have met some good friends here - mostly from the ex-pat community for now. I'd happily introduce you and hubby to us all - we are planning to have a braai soon and get everyone introduced. I work with 3 other SA ladies and one of my colleagues is married to a KZNer, so you should find some broad shoulders! We've all been through the same upheaval and I'm sure we can offer each other support.

Riekie is also fantastic and has been a source of inspiration to me. She also lives in the area, so we'll get her and her hubby involved too.

Don't be shy to ask for help on this forum - that's why it's here!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you to set something up!

Hi Ajay,

Thanks, an introduction or something sounds great!

Unfortunately, we have my inlaws here visiting until mid March and all our spare time is taken up with entertaining them. They are not the traditional parents that fall in with the family, they expect to be entertained and this can be a full time job.

As soon as they leave, I'll let you know.

Cheers

Estelle

Edited by SASydneysider

Hi there SASydneysider!

We moved to Sydney from South Africa in November 2004. We also live in the Hills - Baulkham Hills, a few minutes drive away from Dural. We have two children (12 & 19) - the 19 year old, lives & studies in Perth. He was backpacking Australia, fell in love with Perth and stayed there! After all that effort to get all of us to Australia, I now have to take a 5 hour flight to see my son! At least he's happy in his little spot in the world!

There's a lot of South Africans in the Hills (as I'm sure you know already) - maybe we can get together for a coffee sometime. Madelein (another forumite) & I are tempted by the cheesecakes - feel like joining us?.....

Hi Rieke,

Lucky you!! At least you have your son in the same country. My son is still in SA and will be getting married in October. Going back for the wedding in SA will be a first time for us since we left in 1999.

I've heard there are a lot of SAfricans in the Hills and especially in Cherrybrook, but I haven't come across any of them.

My inlaws are here until mid March, but I would love to join you and Madelein for a coffee some time. The inlaws are doing some day trips and I could possibly slip away one day for a coffee. Let me know when and where you are planning to have it. Thanks for the invite!

Cheers

Estelle

Cheescake and Coffee it is Riekie - organise and I'll make sure that me and Shelly are there too to join you, Madeleine and Estelle! ;)

I'm definitely in. Must be a Saturday though, as I took on a stupid job 8-430pm weekdays. I rather prefer shiftwork, it is tiresome to get up every morning at 7.

Just let me know what day/time...

Kind Regards

Madelein