Multi Citizenship

Geelslang

Question

Currently I have SA and Italian citizenship. SA is aware of the Italian citizenship. Would it be possible to also get Australian citizenship in addition. Would SA approve this and would Australia approve citizenship if I already have 2 other citizenships?

5 answers to this question

You do realise that this could be costly? You need to keep your passports to all countries of citizenship valid, because if you wish to enter anyone of those countries, you have to do so on their passport!

Why not just drop RSA off the list? I'm sure you will still be able to visit on your Aussie passport.

3 hours ago, Mara said:

You do realise that this could be costly? You need to keep your passports to all countries of citizenship valid, because if you wish to enter anyone of those countries, you have to do so on their passport!

Not necessarily. You don't lose citizenship of a country by not having a valid passport for that country. A passport is only a travel document. I'm in this same scenario and just keep my Aussie passport valid, my other 2 are expired. If I ever need them again I just renew them. SA does have the requirement you need to travel in and out of the country on an SA passport, but as seen in this forum this has been flouted many times. 

Edited by RichardH

As RichardH said,  you will need to get a South African Passport to travel to RSA. South Africa most definitely has a very strict rule about entering/ exiting South Africa on a South African passport if you are a citizen.  The fines are steep. There has just been a case on news24 of a high roller being stopped at the airport and refusing entry/exit on his foreign passport as he was a sa citizen. 

The Burning Question from a South African traveller

Deborah Goemans:

“I believe that SA citizens are required by law to use a South African passport to enter and exit South Africa. So if you don’t have a South African passport and your foreign passport shows South Africa as your birthplace, you might get into trouble trying to visit South Africa (I was warned back in February this year both when I entered and exited the country that I MUST have a South Africa passport ). Obviously Breytenbachs are professionals who are offering their time to help, but I’d appreciate hearing their response to that question.” 

The Answer from a Senior Immigration Consultant

Countdown to South AfricaHannes Breytenbach, senior consultant at BIC:

“The current SA Citizenship Act clearly stipulate that any person who has the right to make use of a South African passport must enter and leave South Africa whilst utilizing his/her South African passport and not a foreign one.

“If people fail to do so, they will be warned (as this person was) but will definitely encounter further difficulties when he/she travels to SA again whilst utilizing a foreign passports.

“SA citizens who have not renounced their SA citizenship status must always ensure that they enter and leave SA on their SA passports.

“People who obtained a second nationality through naturalization without applying for retention of their SA citizenship status normally lose their SA nationality, but in these cases the people must apply for SA citizenship determination applications so that they can receive a letter issued by the SA authorities confirming that they do not have the right to make use of a SA passport any longer, which letter is then shown at the SA port of entry when they arrive on their foreign passports.”

But what if my South African passport expired years ago?

“The current SA Citizenship Act clearly stipulates that any person who has the right to a South African passport must enter and leave SA whilst using his/her SA passport,” says Breytenbach.

“Thus, even if a person’s South African passport expired 10 years ago and he/she still has the right to a SA passport, he/she must apply for a newly issued one in order to travel to South Africa.”

UPDATE: We also received this message from the South African High Commission: “South African citizens must use their South African passport or temporary passport to enter and exit the Republic. Please visit the following link http://southafricahouseuk.com/passports/psprt_renpsprt.html for the requirements and forms, for the renewal of your South African passport.”

If I’m no longer a citizen, can I enter with my foreign passport with no problems?

You will still need a letter stating that you cannot use a South African passport.

“For people who have lost their SA citizenship status through accepting a second nationality and not applying for permission first, they must do a SA citizenship determination application whereafter they will be issued with a letter confirming that they cannot make use of a South African passport, which letter can then be shown when they enter South Africa as confirmation why they are not travelling on a SA passport,” explains Breytenbach.

Edited by SandraDee

Well I am a NZ/Aus citizen, and I know of others that have picked up problems flying into either of those two countries without "that" countries passport. Yes, you can give it a try, but if you carefully check out the requirements you will see, that mostly if you are a citizen of that country, you have to enter and leave on that countries passport.

So... we keep both our passports up to date and valid. I have lost my RSA need to flaunt the law!