Opening up new SA company branch in Sydney

DavidWeber

Hi All

A colleague and I are immigrating to Sydney, Australia and together with management are hoping to open up a new branch in Sydney.

We are a software engineering firm and for the medium term we would continue to work for African clients, on-billing our salaries and operating costs to the head office in Cape Town.

I've had a quick look at this site for information on opening a company in Australia and I don't see anything that would be a problem???

http://asic.gov.au/for-business/starting-a-company/how-to-start-a-company/

We are looking for any advice / guidance from any accountants in Australia or businesses that have followed a similar path.

We are also hoping to claim certain deductibles against the business for internet, rent etc, so information on that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Be very careful before hiring local staff. I know if a few people who have been taken for a complete ride overpaying people. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DavidWeber said:

Hi All

A colleague and I are immigrating to Sydney, Australia and together with management are hoping to open up a new branch in Sydney.

We are a software engineering firm and for the medium term we would continue to work for African clients, on-billing our salaries and operating costs to the head office in Cape Town.

I've had a quick look at this site for information on opening a company in Australia and I don't see anything that would be a problem???

http://asic.gov.au/for-business/starting-a-company/how-to-start-a-company/

We are looking for any advice / guidance from any accountants in Australia or businesses that have followed a similar path.

We are also hoping to claim certain deductibles against the business for internet, rent etc, so information on that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Do you already have a visa? - business visa I imagine because that would be the most important first step.  

22 hours ago, DavidWeber said:

I don't see anything that would be a problem???

It's really hard to answer you because we don't know what you don't know.  Your comment about hoping to claim certain deductibles against the business make it sound like you have not run a business before.  Is that correct?

You'll also need so many other things to start a business other than the company registration with ASIC.  Do you have a budget for set up?  Just registering a company can cost around the $1,000 mark - maybe there are cheaper out there but this is an average.  Have you investigated insurance requirements, any licensing or registration required for your industry.  So many questions before it is possible to answer - I don't really know where to start...

@RYLC Thanks for taking the time to reply.

21 minutes ago, RYLC said:

Do you already have a visa? - business visa I imagine because that would be the most important first step.

We are both about to lodge our EOIs for 189 under Software Engineer with 70+ points.

21 minutes ago, RYLC said:

It's really hard to answer you because we don't know what you don't know.  Your comment about hoping to claim certain deductibles against the business make it sound like you have not run a business before.  Is that correct?

I am just doing some research in advance to make sure our plan is plausible; our accountant in Cape Town will do more thorough research and liaise with an Australian company to handle the business registration.

So I was mainly curios about any showstoppers, such as maybe requiring more than two members, or needing to return a certain amount of profit each year, or needing Oz citizenship.

For one, I noted that we would need to nominate one permanent resident as the director of the new company, which would not be a problem for us.

My colleague and I have never run a business but we would just be the boots on the ground for the new branch, most admin would be processed by management in Cape Town.

Initially we would likely be working from home before we secured office space and looked to start recruiting locals.

To the end I found the following link on deductibles when working from home https://www.ato.gov.au/business/income-and-deductions-for-business/running-your-business-from-home/

27 minutes ago, RYLC said:

Have you investigated insurance requirements, any licensing or registration required for your industry.

I have not seen any mention of this so far, but thanks for raising the points, I will certainly look into it.

Are you an accountant or business owner? 

Do the laws regarding businesses generally differ from state to state?