Our Numinous journey …

Husky

@March2 Just keep the end goal in mind. We have been in Melbourne for 8 months (I cant believe how fast time has flown) and although the entire process has been the toughest things we have ever done (and are still doing) we do not have a single regret. We know we have made the right decision. I hope it is the same for you. I can sympathise with your statement about keeping yoiur emotions to one side - that is a way of dealing with the process but be aware those emotions will surface at some stage. Some of mine are only making themselves felt now....

• Like 1

Wise words @JackoFam

How are things going with the kids and school?

Hi @March2 immigration is one of the toughest things people willingly do. It combines: loss of contact with old friends and family, new unfamiliar job, new unfamiliar town/country/customs and sometimes a new language to boot! But we all support each other along, and then day-by-day and later year-by-year, your new country becomes home and you become happy again.

When the going gets tough, focus on why you are doing this. You will see the topic of resentful, manipulative or just plain hurt family members popping up over many people's stories, unfortunately not all families send us off with best wishes for our futures. But you have a responsibility to your children to provide them with the best future you are able. Keep looking forward.

ps. I would also recommend that you start your own Journal thread to share your journey with us, this one is Husky's  ;) 

8 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Hi @March2 immigration is one of the toughest things people willingly do. It combines: loss of contact with old friends and family, new unfamiliar job, new unfamiliar town/country/customs and sometimes a new language to boot! But we all support each other along, and then day-by-day and later year-by-year, your new country becomes home and you become happy again.

When the going gets tough, focus on why you are doing this. You will see the topic of resentful, manipulative or just plain hurt family members popping up over many people's stories, unfortunately not all families send us off with best wishes for our futures. But you have a responsibility to your children to provide them with the best future you are able. Keep looking forward.

ps. I would also recommend that you start your own Journal thread to share your journey with us, this one is Husky's  ;) 

Hi @RedPanda Thanks so much for giving me the motivation and encouragement.  I know that I will NEVER regret this decision to migrate to Oz. :D I will definitely start my own journal...pretty soon...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, 67 days until we board our Emirates one way flight to Melbourne, via Dubai. Feels rather surreal and am suddenly obsessed with scheduling time with friends and family. Despite being overwhelmed and having some significant "hiccups" along the way, we are all excited about starting 2018 in our new country. We arrive in Melbourne at 23h40 on New Years Eve.

Quick update:

1. My daughter got her driver's license yesterday and starts matric exams next week. Know she will need to redo part of the driver's test in Melbourne. She has applied for uni via VTAC. Unfortunately we will only hear in January if she has got in or not. In the meantime she is signing up for a 2 week hospitality course in January which will help her make friends and be qualified to get a part time job.

2. We have not sold our house or second property yet. Staying positive that we will at least sell our Vaal dam property. Decided to rather put the house up for rent given the current market. Convinced things will turn in the next 5 years or so. Seeing it as an investment. Luckily my folks will stay on the property and manage it for us. So grateful for their support.

3. Have started trying to finalise packing but having lived in our home for 18 years, we have a lot of "stuff". I'm ready to get rid/ sell most of it, my husband is rather attached to certain things. Has led to a few interesting discussions as to the merits of glassware, cutlery and electronic equipment.

4. Have had to cancel my planned November trip and move meetings and interviews I had set up. Think a combination of genetics, stress and too much sitting in front of a computer has had a damaging impact on my body. Embarrassed to say, after stating so emphatically that I was so healthy in a previous post (*sigh*), I am having to go in for a back operation tomorrow. Was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and 2 lumbar herniations. Ouch is an understatement. Still at least it is being dealt with and I will be back on my feet and have a healthy start to life in Australia in a few weeks. It has meant that I am currently not earning money (another ouch) and am not allowed to lift, bend or pick anything up (eish). Luckily friends and family have been a God send and will be helping me pack up as our Movecube arrives in 2.5 weeks time. Great timing ...... not! 

5. Neither my husband or I have jobs lined up. I am confident this will happen and continue to apply for jobs, make connections and network via LinkedIn and Seek etc. Says she rather hysterically .....

6. A colleague turned friend in Melbourne has offered us her apartment to stay in for our first few weeks while they are out of the country. Huge relief on this as I was also supposed to be securing a rental during my November trip. 

7. Dogs received their import permits and are scheduled to fly out end January. Phew.

So things have been a little less than ideal. I do appreciate that we have amazing family and friends who have been here for us. There is always something worse that could have happened. We are so blessed in so many ways. All will be well.

• Like 6

Congrats on your daughter's licence and good luck with the exams. Sorry to hear about your back problems hope the opp and everything goes well. The not being allowed to lift stuff must be making packing a nightmare. 

Looks like you guys are making good progress, good luck for the last couple of days try and have some fun too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OH my, this just got real. Move cube arrives this week so spent the day packing. As I am still recovering from my back op, just supervised. Thank goodness for my mom, a bunch of teenagers and a good friend. Boxes filled mostly with books, photos and wine glasses. Feeling totally overwhelmed ....

So many what ifs. This feels harder than the waiting. 

I know it is the right decision and firmly believe in living a life of no regrets. Still, this is tough. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking of you. It's 2 huge things you need to process (back op and packing up your life). 

I spoke to my brother last night, who is just starting the journey and I felt rather anxious for them with everything that still lies ahead. Luckily the waiting time spaces the process and in hindsight I think it's probably not bad.

I'm also relieved and very thankful that we made it to where we are 3 months in and I'm convinced that your outlook and attitude is going to help you settle very quickly and welcome you into your new life!

Thank you @wonderer

As always, appreciate your gentle support. 

• 1 month later...

T - 23 days ..... 

Grateful that things are falling into place. If you had told me this 6 weeks ago, I'm not sure I would have believed it. A combination of faith, humility, vulnerability and asking for help, prayers and positive energy worked!

1. Holiday property sold.

2. Lovely renters found for our home.

3. Back slowly healing.

4. Some well needed extra income from a last minute surprise project.

5. Kids finished with exams.

6. Hubby onto second interview for a great job. I have two meetings set up in Jan. The power of networking is real.

7. Lovely farewell and words from a long standing client.

8. Spending quality time with the family.

9. Saying "see you soon" instead of goodbye to friends and colleagues. Have numerous lunches, dinners and drinks scheduled over the next 3 weeks. Feeling loved. Decided not to do a big farewell.

So very grateful. Feeling excited and ready for our adventure. :D

• Like 5

Well done! So glad things are falling into place for you, just goes to show with faith, prayers and allot of hard work anything is possible.

We were in the same position earlier this week, I was looking at our budget the other day and a bit worried because I really need a new laptop (one that I can use to freelance CAD) and that put a massive strain on the budge. Out of the blue I got a phone call from a friend, he knows someone who needs someone to start working ASAP leaving for Aus soon will be a bonus for them since as the CEO said, we have a lot of contracts in Auz and if we can get a "local" to attend meetings and site inspections for us instead of flying out every time it would save us a lot of time and money. So this might turn into a slightly more permanent remote position, but even if it doesn't, the money I will earn in the next 2odd months will be enough to buy a nice new laptop. God is great! I really didn't think that I would be working in SA again, and now just when we need it most He sends me a job to cover the extra we need for the laptop. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This feels so surreal. Only 12 days left before we leave for Australia. Very excited about the going, very sad about the leaving. With the latest news out of the ANC national conference, more certain than ever that we are doing the right thing both for our kids and ourselves. Just praying that the country will right itself in time. We have a vested interest in things going well in SA with most of our family and friends still here.

Quick update and for the record:

1. My husband has a third interview in Melbourne the second week of Jan - looks positive and he likes the company. I'm thinking it may not be a bad thing for me to have a month or two to get settled and set up house before starting work.

2. Lease signed for three years.

3. Fabulous Christmas party with our Rotary club, where they surprized us with a special farewell. 

4. Lots of small lunches and dinners with close friends. probably consuming far too much Sauvignon Blanc .... hehe.

5. Kids both away with friends on holiday allowing us to get final admin done. There is a lot of it .....

6. Skip arriving tomorrow to throw away the mass of stuff we have accumulated over the years. Why?

7. Crazy time with both family and international guests arriving over the next week or so, along with Hubby's birthday and Christmas. Eish!

8. Cars sold.

9. Dogs booked into kennels and all flights, permits and quarantine sorted. Hope they'll remember us.

10. Shuttle booked to take us to the airport. We have asked that nobody comes with to the airport because it feels so final and may be traumatic for all concerned. Some friends are insisting .... not sure how to handle that, other than not giving them the time of our flight.

Right, see you next Sunday Melbourne. Yay. Any ideas on what to do on New Year's Day? I expect shops and restaurants will all be open.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Right, see you next Sunday Melbourne. Yay. Any ideas on what to do on New Year's Day? I expect shops and restaurants will all be open.

Come and see the New Years fireworks! Last year some where done at the Docks, and some at ...stuff it.. here's the link! :lol:    What's on in Melbourne New Years Eve  You are also of course welcome to look up your own stuff ;) 
But I can tell you that the Melbourne crowds are friendly and the atmosphere is good- go out! Oh, and the trains ran free last year, to assist in crowd transport. Just check what times.

Hope you enjoy your arrival in Melbourne :D 

• Like 1

Thank you @RedPanda

We actually arrive just before midnight on New Year's Eve so looking for something for 1 January to make it special. Sure there will be loads open.

Said our first good bye to really good friends last night who were going on holiday. It was hard. I managed the whole evening until they told us how much they are going to miss us. Burst into tears and have been feeling very unsettled with a lump in my throat since then. Not sure if this was the right time of year to make our move. there is just so much going on and I do not seem to have enough hours in the day to work through my to do list. Being mindful about breathing and just letting things go.

I know how blessed we are to be at this stage.  

On 12/18/2017 at 8:07 PM, Husky said:

0. Shuttle booked to take us to the airport. We have asked that nobody comes with to the airport because it feels so final and may be traumatic for all concerned. Some friends are insisting .... not sure how to handle that, other than not giving them the time of our flight.

I feel your hesitation. I flew out with my 3 kids and was the last of the children to leave SA. Parents and inlaws and friends wanted to be at the airport . I asked them not to and the friends agreed but family insisted. They needed the closure I think. However, after moving twice in 6 weeks and facing the trip with 3 kids and loads of luggage on my own I was overwhelmed (and just wanted to get to Oz to be with hubby). I had booked a shuttle but family arrived. I said goodbye right after checking in and walked through security just waving goodbye. Family were a bit disappointed I wouldn't go for coffee but I couldn't face more tears and had to be brave for kids so it was like pulling off a band-aid........just keep walking with a smile and a wave.

All the very best with the journey and adventure!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LouiseMark said:

I said goodbye right after checking in and walked through security just waving goodbye. Family were a bit disappointed I wouldn't go for coffee but I couldn't face more tears and had to be brave for kids so it was like pulling off a band-aid........just keep walking with a smile and a wave

Family have been "baned" from airport, hope they and friends will listen. Our sellgroup and friends want to come "wave goodbuy" at the airport, trying to convince them not to. 

Edited by Fidjet

On 22/12/2017 at 2:00 AM, Fidjet said:

Family have been "baned" from airport, hope they and friends will listen. Our sellgroup and friends want to come "wave goodbuy" at the airport, trying to convince them not to. 

Keep your flight number to yourself. (date and time of departure)

If all else fails, go a bit early, check in, and move through the gates. Wait on the other side (where only ticket holders can go)

You don't want to start this journey off already being unhappy/upset.

In ou case we were dropped off by family, but only two people, and they had done it before with another of their kids who migrated. They knew what we were getting into, and that they would be able to visit us (in fact they're here now for Christmas) and it all went smoothly. But I understand other people are different, and some people feel like emigration means falling off the face of the earth.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @RedPanda

Hope you guys have a safe flight and a happy landing

• 2 weeks later...

How is life in your new home treating you? You now need to change your status!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, Fidjet said:

We have just spent Christmas with family and had to say goodbye to them after, it is unlikely we'll see them again before we fly. And we all discussed beforehand that the memories of time together is the important bit, not the actual goodbye - so we all refused to make a big emotional goodbye moment, we simply said goodbye like we would see each other in a few months and left. It was much easier this way and it also feels sensible. Having everyone cry and all emotional doesn't really work for me - the day of the flight is time for excitement!

24 years after emigrating we visited SA to show our Ozzie born son his heritage. We met up with old friends. Very little about them had changed and it was like we had left yesterday. Same frustrations, dreams and even work.