Rentals and schools

Sharlene

Question

Hello

My Name is Sharlene Govender and i am new to this forum. We Currently planning on immigration to Australia we have signed the contract with Reuven Migrate to O2. We are looking at Sydney or Melbourne. Please can i get advise on the Public schools for my kids in both these cities. I have a 7years old son and a 2year old son. My husband is in IT.

Also what are the rentals like in these Cities.

Thank You

7 answers to this question

Welcome @Sharlene,

Also a happy client of Reuven.  You will find this forum has a wealth of information on everything.  Have a look at the existing threads.  People add to old threads and so information grows.  The search button top right has been a saviour for me.  

For ratings on schools look at www.bettereducation.com.au

For ratings on suburbs look at www.homely.com.au

Find the 100 point checklist on this forum - it is very handy.

Search the forum for info on childcare - it is HELLISHLY expensive to put a toddler in daycare

Then use the search button e.g. "moving to Sydney", and you will see all the threads.

Good luck for this new adventure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sharlene said:

Hello

My Name is Sharlene Govender and i am new to this forum. We Currently planning on immigration to Australia we have signed the contract with Reuven Migrate to O2. We are looking at Sydney or Melbourne. Please can i get advise on the Public schools for my kids in both these cities. I have a 7years old son and a 2year old son. My husband is in IT.

Also what are the rentals like in these Cities.

Thank You

Hi Sharlene,

Welcome to the Forum.

RE suburbs and schools in these cities, it's a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?". I'll talk about Sydney as it's where we live, but bear in mind that you can drive an hour to hour and a half from the CBD and still be IN Sydney, it has over 600 suburbs, which are divided into various municipalities.

This week there are fewer municipalities as there have been Statewide amalgamations, so fewer councils as they've been dissolved. There is uproar from many locals, but personally I think it will in time prove to be more equitable for all.

When you see Sydney on TV or the web you're largely seeing suburbs that fall into the City of Sydney council, which comprises 30+ of those 600 suburbs and is home to around 200,000 people, of the 4+ million that call "Sydney" home.

The suburbs include: Alexandria, Annandale (part), Barangaroo, Beaconsfield, Camperdown (part), Centennial Park (part), Chippendale, Darlinghurst, Darlington, Dawes Point, Elizabeth Bay, Erskineville, Eveleigh, Forest Lodge, Glebe, Haymarket, Millers Point, Moore Park, Newtown (part), Paddington (part), Potts Point, Pyrmont, Redfern, Rosebery (part), Rushcutters Bay, St Peters (part), Surry Hills, Sydney, The Rocks, Ultimo, Waterloo, Woolloomooloo and Zetland.

The majority of the city population falls into Gen X,Y & Z, comprising 60%+ of the make-up, according to the stats I got from the Lord Mayor on Tuesday (attending a talk at Town Hall on Greening Global Cities).

Calling any of those suburbs home is going to be expensive, the property sizes are smaller and as @monsta is fond of calling them, shoebox apartments. Almost half of Sydney's residents live in Apartments or will over the next 10-years, living in smaller spaces, but being closer to the CBD for work, public spaces and transport links.

Popular outlying suburbs include Ryde, Parramatta, Castle Hill, French's Forest, Baulkham Hills, wealthier areas like Hornsby, Gordon, St. Ives and for the really wealthy, the North Shores subrubs like Manly & Dee Why or Eastern Suburbs like Rose Bay, Bondi & Vaucluse.

A lot of South African's want larger spaces and in order to achieve that move further out, spending up to an hour and half each way commuting in, it's always going to be a trade off sadly of space vs convenience, unless you're a multi-millionaire. The average median price of a home in the suburbs listed above is well over $1-million.

Public schools are generally of a great caliber here, esp. those falling under within the City of Sydney municipality,  they take you based on location, so you'll need to be in their catchment area to ensure a spot. Popular ones close to the CBD are Bourke Street & Crown Public Schools servicing suburbs like Darlinghurst, Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo & Zetland and Alexandria Park Community School which serves Alexandria, Eveleigh, Roseberry, Beaconsfield etc. Those 3 are the schools I'm most familiar with as my child in one of them and several friends children in the other two.

This link shows you the catchment areas for schools.

Childcare is VERY expensive, on average around $125 a day, which is for your expense up until your children are enrolled in school by age 6. Many parents chose to share the load working part-time with young kids, esp. if they have more than one, to ease the financial burden, or look at an au pair, but you usually need to provide accommodation for them as well as feeding them, which adds further expense.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

Hi

Thank you very much for the info. This is going to help me loads.

Sharlene

• Like 1

Hi also Please can you advise on Melbourne Schools and rentals

Thank You

Sharlene, Melbourne is a huge place, you have given no further information..... so I suggest you go to http://www.realestate.com.au and check what is available in the areas that you are interested in.. sit with Google maps open, then you can see the distance you would have to travel to work.

What you are asking at present is like dropping a penny into the ocean and hoping to find it again.

If you will be based in the city for work - how much time would you be prepared to travel one way

What size house do you want, or do you want an apartment.

Will you be needing childcare as well as schools?

Answering all of these questions will give people the opportunity of giving you far better advice.

• Like 1

Hi Mara

Thank You for the information. we only know at the moment that the 2 states (Migrate 2 oz) Ruben is looking at which is Sydney and Melbourne. We will like to move to Melbourne as the Property is cheaper as suppose to Sydney. We will be looking at an apartment. We will be looking at schools  for my 7years old.

I know nothing about Melbourne and i do understand what you are saying.

I did look at Sunbury in Melbourne please can you give me more information with regards to this. How far is Sunburg from The CBD and schools?

Thank You

@Sharleneat least now we have a better picture of what you are looking for. I will leave the rest of Melbourne to those that want to offer their advice about the areas they live in.

Sunbury : It is roughly 38klms from city centre by road... most people use the train to get to the city for work... which takes around 45mins from station to station. I gave you a link for realestate.com go and check out rental properties in Sunbury.... to see what you would like and what the cost of that would be. There is a fairly good bus service to most suburbs in Sunbury, to get to the station, but this would have to be added to your commute time.

There are plenty of schools in Sunbury, I suggest you Google "primary schools Sunbury" to see where they are and to check them out. None of the Sunbury primary schools are zoned, so your child can attend any one of them, unless that has changed in the meantime. The two Catholic Primary schools are fairly difficult to get into, but are said to be very good.

After you have looked at the above, then, if you need any further advice, I would be happy to assist you.