Welcome committee

KnoxFamily

I would like to start a Welcome committee to help and support families moving to Sydney. 

The aim would be to help families settle, 

1. Pass on donated items, cutlery, crockery, toasters, kettles etc. (I have items that helped me when I first moved that I would like to pass on). 

2. Be someone to talk to. eg "braai" or picnic in the park. 

3. Bargain hunters let us know what you need and we will find the best source whether second hand or not. 

4. Price Guide, Eg. going to the stores and not knowing whether the price you are looking at is cheap or not somewhere else, because you are not familiar. 

5. Help with buying a car what to look for and listen to (had a couple shady people try sell us junk as treasure)

I have spoken to a couple of people and some have had no support and sometimes you just need someone to have coffee with or a cooked meal.

Let me know what think and if you would be interested in helping out.

:)

• Like 3

You will find that on a local level, the information (and help) are more actively available on facebook.  Like "South Africans living in Sydney", "South Africans in Sydney (the hills", etc.  Just search lots of South Africans....

I think its a fantastic idea. Everyone who has ever used this forum needed support/advice and encouragement. When you move to another Country it can be very challenging and overwhelming, the smallest things like going shopping or visiting the Dr can create anxiety as in SA you just knew where to go and what to do. It is also great that people can pass on u wanted items to help families settle. There are local facebook pages for this but some want to sell rather than donate. I think anything that helps new migrants to settle and feel at home would be welcomed.

All the best of luck with it. ?

We have previously posted such "starter packs" containing pots, dinner sets, utensils, toaster, bicycles, etc. for free on the SAAustralia Facebook page.

And I've tried to sell a $800 fridge for $200.

Problem is that everyone might have something, but not everyone will be able to put a decent pack together on their own. And even then, someone might say they want it but never show up. So you end up managing next in line lists etc.

We have since found that churches are well positioned for this. Our minister, also South African, will sometimes mention new arrivals and ask for hosehold items as donations towards helping the new arrivals settle. So now we mostly donate there.

It is also a great place to connect with both Aussies and other South Africans and they even have a South African outreach program.

http://www.roseville.presbyterian.org.au

I would recommend contacting your nearest church upon arrival and for forum members to donate via your local church.

There is also the "Take them a meal" service which is a great way for newcomers (or new moms) to be checked in on by different people for a couple of days and thereby meeting new people.

If you are really into the idea of helping out new arrivals, then perhaps offer to volunteer organising this with the support of your local church and SAAustralia members.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@KnoxFamily,

I am arriving in Sydney 27 Oct staying in Coogee for the 1st 10 days.....with regards to point 5 any advice? I will need to buy a family car also needed for my job on a daily basis.. Starting work in Alexandria on 1 November and then the house hunt also starts, my wife arrives with our little one 4 Jan 2017.

Thanks

Rall

1 hour ago, Geite said:

@KnoxFamily,

I am arriving in Sydney 27 Oct staying in Coogee for the 1st 10 days.....with regards to point 5 any advice? I will need to buy a family car also needed for my job on a daily basis.. Starting work in Alexandria on 1 November and then the house hunt also starts, my wife arrives with our little one 4 Jan 2017.

Thanks

Rall

No problem. 

Q1 : budget

Q2 : what work?

Q3 : sedan hatch wagon or suv

Q4 : what do you drive now

Hi @KnoxFamily,

I am looking at the Ford Kuga or Mitsubishi Outlander, for between $16,000 - $18,000 it seems like you can get some of them with 60,000 km's on the clock. It would most probably be better to buy from a dealer(Ford/Mitsubishi) for piece of mind?

My new role is with Red Bull in Alexandria, National Key Accounts Manager. It involves traveling to meetings and store visits.

Cheers

G

Go to carsales.com.au

This might sound crazy but

Punch in 400000 as the min mileage. 

Now you will know what car or brand will last the longest and stand the test of high mileage. 80% of the time it will be toyota. 

It is a good brand here. 

I would look at a toyota kluger. Its a mix between a fortuner and land cruiser. There is one in my area advertised for $18600 neg. 

Next in line would be nissan and then Mitsubishi.  

Buying from a dealer is good. But they also hike the prices. If you find a private car and need someone to take a look at it, give us a shout or ask the owner if you can take it to a mechanic for a quick once over. 

Also buy with no less than 3 months rego left. 

You dont want the hassle of rego straight away. Especially starting a new job. 

Dont look at a car at night or under lights must be daytime and if in the shade pull it into the sun.

Dark, red and blue cars suffer from the sun. Look at the roof.  White and silver are best.

Hope this helps

Thanks @KnoxFamily! The only thing I have against the Kluger is that for the same amount of money we can get a Ford Kuga or Mitsubishi Outlander with only 60,000 km on the clock and also some guarantee. They do however look like awesome vehicles.

Cheers

G