Medical examinations in Johannesburg and do kids also have to do them?

MonHaDU

Question

Hi All,

I have been reading some comments regarding the medical examinations we have to get doen for visa application. We are still waiting for our state sponsorship to be done, so wanted to find out so long how and where medical has to be done. We live in Jo'burg - has anyone had their medicals done recently in Jo'burg area? Whene do we go and how long does it take? Can we only goi during the week? I assume we can only book this once we have lodged our visa application? And lastly, we have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, do they have to go with when we have the medicals done or what will be required for them? Thanks in advance for any info:-)

24 answers to this question

We did ours in March at Dr Cobb in Rosebank. 2 Adults, 2 kids. They do scratch skin test for the kids for TB. For adults they did a chest x-ray. Be sure to initiate the process for medical on immi account so that you get your HAP ID's prior to the medical. Might also be advisable to go for the xray before the medical, you might save some time that way.

Thanks so much Vitchie. Did you do your medicals before or after you lodged your visa application? From your suggestion, it sounds like we do not have to do the xrays at the same place the medicals are done (Dr Cobb)? How long does it take to get the results? Thanks again..

H

7 hours ago, MonHaDU said:

Thanks so much Vitchie. Did you do your medicals before or after you lodged your visa application? From your suggestion, it sounds like we do not have to do the xrays at the same place the medicals are done (Dr Cobb)? How long does it take to get the results? Thanks again..

We did our medicals before lodging the visa application. Yeah the x-rays are across the road at the hospital, I also didn't know that. Just double check with Dr Cobb's office, but I think you can do the x-ray before going to see Dr Cobb. The results are quick, same day for adults (results are posted directly to immigration, you don't see it). For kids, if they do the scratch test, the results take 3 days.

Hi @MonHaDU

We took our 2 year old to Dr Cobb's rooms two days before the whole family's medical appointment to do the skin test in advance so that we did not have to go back again after the medicals were done. That helped save us some time as his medical clearance was available same day as everyone else's.

As @vitchie said, the xrays are done across the road, so we found it easier to just go do them directly after medicals with Dr Cobb so that we only sacrificed one day of leave to get everything done together and the clearance was available very quickly.

All the best!!

Great, this is very helpful. Thanks @vitchie and @LCJKZ. We also dont want to take too much leave so will try your approach. Thanks again!

@MonHaDU Just make a booking for as late as you can. Work in a bit of time at the office and tell them you have a doctors appointment. No need to tell them for what. That way no leave needed.

Good idea:) Thanks!. Do they do tests like cholesterol etc or are the bloods only for HIV etc?

Hi All, I have booked medicals in Pretoria as they seem to have xray and blood tests in one building. But my question is why do i have to send my little one to Ampath (which is in a different place) first for the Mantoux test? Also what does the tests typically cost per adult and toddler please? Which is the better option Rosebank or PTA? Do they give you the results the same day?

@Marcodasilva Rosebank is fine. xrays accross the road. The test for kids is a skin test and you have to go back in 3 days to check reaction.

Cost for adult xrays was R800 and examination fee was R800 odd thrn the kids examination wass just over R1000 and then bloed tests for adults. Ampath in the same building as examinations.

Fees are more or less.  Cannot remember exact. This was in Feb this year.

Thanks. Yes we got quoted R1800 per adult and R1000 for toddler.

nb Pensies. What does the skin test entail? My little one is only 3. Thanks for all the advise.

Price sound right. They inject a fluid under the skin and it needs to stay dry for 3 days. They then look for a severe reaction in their oppinion. It is a test for TB or contact with person with TB.

We had our medicals done in Durban. They took blood tests from all of us including my son who was 3 also. Was painless and quick. We were in and out within an hour.

Do the Medicals only when you need to - after the Visa application once Case Officer assigned.  Medical date affects your latest date to enter to activate your visa once granted. 

In Jhb area - can do Rosebank and Pretoria (Hatfield) - we did Pretoria cos it was cheaper - took about an hour for two of us (adults) all in.  

I would suggest doing medical after receiving state sponsorship but shortly before or after lodging the actual VISA application. This way you could get a direct grant. It also has the added benefit of having clear medicals before paying the huge visa application fees. I would really suck to pay that application fee, only to fail the medicals afterwards.

Thanks for the feedback all. We are applying for 189, have submitted everything after EOI was received, just need to submit my unabridged, PCC and Medicals really, that's all our agent said we needed to add after lodging visa. We do yearly checks as good practice so i am confident medicals will be fine.

I think we are going to rather do the blood test for my 3 year old, not keen on blisters etc.... Probably stick to PTA. 

I recently did my medical at Hatmed in Pretoria and it was all done in 30 minutes and submitted in 3 days. Doctor, radiologist and Ampath are all next to each other. Cost for an adult was R1800.

Hi All,

Also used HATMED. Very convenient, underground parking and safe. Took about an hour and a half and information was loaded within 48 hours on immi. Very good service from them indeed.

Please help me, cant seem to find the information..... for Hatmed, did you have to complete form 26 and take a picture with?  I have my appointment on tuesday and just want to make sure I have everything required.  :(

Hi, i suggest you call them. If i recall you have to take passports with as well as approval numbers from the Aussie visa site. You need to do xrays and blood tests too on the day. Do not arrive unprepared. 

Tel: (012) 362 7180
Fax: (012) 362 7181
hatmed@global.co.za

ADDRESS:

454 Hilda Street, Hatfield

12 minutes ago, Marcodasilva said:

Hi, i suggest you call them. If i recall you have to take passports with as well as approval numbers from the Aussie visa site. You need to do xrays and blood tests too on the day. Do not arrive unprepared.

Tel: (012) 362 7180
Fax: (012) 362 7181
hatmed@global.co.za

ADDRESS:

454 Hilda Street, Hatfield

Thank you, I did phone them and the lady wasnt sure about the form, so I have printed it and taking it with in case.  No need for photos and I have everything else  on the list....little nervous but hoping for the best.  Thanks you your response.

Edited by Lillie
spelling