Scared.....

Geite

Question

Hi Forum members,

We waited a year for our 190 VISA invite, now that we have it we are really scared to make the BIG move. I know that it would be best to leave SA, yet I am scared for the unknown and "starting over" at 38 years old in a new country.

Is there anybody else out there that left SA at my age and made a success? I would like to give my son(7 months old now) the best opportunity in life to achieve his dreams......

Thanks

G

• Like 1

On 4/15/2016 at 10:39 AM, Duggen said:

To each their own, what I always found most interesting about it was that while I lived in the UK everyone I knew had someone come in a clean. Not as often as in SA but still. I willing to bet that if you so choose one could have someone come in and clean 1 a week or fortnight in Australia as well.

Some people do ;) (those that don't but want to, complain that the 'help' isn't as cheap as in RSA)

@Geite Hubby and I were both 44!

14 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Some people do ;) (those that don't but want to, complain that the 'help' isn't as cheap as in RSA)

Lots of my friends have cleaners come in - it's really not a big deal at all.

My issue with it is that they are cleaners - only cleaners. So we have to tidy up first so that they can clean. Well, tidying away toys, clothes and general crap is the biggest issue we have so once that's done - cleaning isn't too bad. Also, it's pretty superficial cleaning that they do so I'd rather just do it myself. 

We've talked about it but when my kids were young, I thought that i'd prefer to use the money to put the kids in daycare and have a day to myself - even if it involved cleaning :P

Now that both kids are at school - it's really not as bad. The house doesn't get as messy (although the school holidays are a trying time..)

Edited by Shellfish

Well I have a cleaner, once every two weeks.... I have been the cleaner.... many times before. Suffice it to say, you get cleaners and then you get cleaners! Mine is a great cleaner, you know when you walk in the front door that she has been here, for sure!

I can do it if I want to, but I do not want to... I would rather be doing something else... than cleaning house...

• Like 1

On 2016/04/12 at 10:53 AM, Dora said:

For the first time I totally get it. It's not about us, its about the kids and giving them something better that is within your reach. I will always nurture a hope in me that God can turn SA around, and I'll keep on praying for that, BUT, He made a new hope possible for us in another country (that also has mistakes btw). And once you have that hope, I see it as...like you have private medical, and you get sick, and then choose to go to a state hospital, it just doesn't make any sense.

@Dora, that is the best description I have heard in a long time! Can definitely identify with and relate to what you said!

We were 41 and 43 upon landing.

We treated it as an opportunity to start over and embraced that opportunity, rather than dwelling on what we were supposedly giving up.

Somehow all the things that seemed important whilst living in RSA are irrelevant to us here.  

I find it it so much easier to just live and enjoy life here. I don't need or even want the bells and whistles that ruled my so called life in RSA.

You are free to enjoy the simple, real pleasures in life, and not get bogged down in the window dressing deemed necessary to make your life appear to be good.

Embrace the change. Re-evaluate what is important to you, and arrive with an open mind , open to possibility, and enjoy!

in terms of success, if you define success by being happy, having a roof over our heads, and gainfully employed, then yes, we're scoring full marks on that front .

Edited by EmNew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EmNew said:

Somehow all the things that seemed important whilst living in RSA are irrelevant to us here.  

If you have time it would be good if you could put up a list for those still sitting on the fence, afraid to jump because of the perception of "going down in the world" from their family and friends.   Maybe a table type thing with how it is in RSA and how it is in Oz. just a thought...

The only example I can think of is cars. In RSA a luxury car (or whatever cos I've been here too long to remember) is "required" whereas in Oz we have ......

Since arriving in Australia, I have come to realise how f*cked up the South African value system is. I am not trying to offend anyone, I just feel that for a country that has such rampant poverty, South africans don't know where to place their importance..Australians place importance on such simple and yet huge things like home,heath, safety, family and friends, education, the elderly, the needy, pets, a barbie with a beer, some mates and footy, a walk on the beach, Anzac day, good food (in Melbourne anyway). the Boxing day test, decorating your house in Christmas lights, I could go on and on. The community mindedness is huge. And I've never met an Australian who's cried because they had to clean up their own dirt. 

• Like 5