Let the journey begin....

TracyClare

Hi Everyone 

I am so excited to have found this site, I have already spent some time looking at all the information discussed so far, it is a wonderful resource and it is also responsible for making me a lot more excited about the move!! 

I am apply for a 189 visa, with my husband and three kids. I am really hoping to get the visa quickly, it would be wonderful to start with new schools at the start of the academic year in January 2017. But getting off the starting block has already been a bit tough, I have now been waiting 7 weeks for a document needed from the university regarding my qualification for the skills assessment. 

I know this question is basically how long is a piece of string... but I would love to know how long the 189 has taken others and where possible delays may be lurking? I am not a particularly patient person. 

Thanks again 

Hahaha...aren't we all? (Impatient)

Once the applications are lodged the visas are currently taking about 3 months to grant, with some variation on either side.

Potential delays....unabridged birth certificates, marriage certificates...anything that our delightfully efficient government has to produce. It can take a few days, or a few months, nobody knows.

Get your IELTS done as soon as possible. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get the needed score, sometimes you miss it by 0.5, and bookings vary in availability.

Also, nobody knows exactly what causes the Aussies to decide to scrutinise some applications and not others. We got a direct grant- application accepted, no questions, granted without prior contact with case officer. Some people had to fill in reams and reams of additional paperwork, which delayed the grant. You can't predict this before hand.

Oh, and nobody knows how long their EOI will sit before they are invited to apply, and you can't apply without an invitation.

Best of luck!!! :D 

• Like 1

(It's not as bad as it sounds.)

@TracyClare Welcome, we hope your journey is a smooth one!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TracyClare

Welcome! I agree with RedPanda, its not as bad as it sounds;-) Definitely get on applying for unabridged birth and marriage certificates, also getting the IELTS done helps. 

Goodluck with your journey! Remember, its like eating an elephant, bite by bite, not all at once.

• Like 1