Help with Ielts

frik22

Question

Hi everyone

Im finding it difficult to get a 7 for all of the four sections.For listening I got a 7,reading 6,writing 6.5,speaking 6.Its my second time now  not getting the points I have to get.

What can I do to improve my skills?Im from bloemfontein,so its not easy to go to classes in JHB.

6 answers to this question

Hi Firk22,

Why don't you try Pearson test i.e. PTE? http://pearsonpte.com/. I believe getting 7 in all the section is much easier as compared to IELTS and moreover PTE is all computerised so no need to Pen & paper thing!. Give it a try if you feel so.

Cheers!

Manav

Frik22, given that you got a 6 for speaking yet you seem to be able to communicate in English without too much hassle, I would suggest that also a large part of the problem is sheer nerves.

it is very easy to say "be calm" when we all know how much riding on this, but perhaps if you practiced some deep breathing exercises. I would definitely agree to try Pearson as an alternative. Don't let it get you down, some people have done this test 5 or 6 times to get the required score.

Whichever one you do, practice is very important. IELTS is very particular about spelling and structure, there are online tutorials, YouTube is a great source of information, as well as a lot of threads on this forum with tips. I haven't done Pearson, but several people have been very positive about it.

Hi,

For my application I needed an 8 in each of the sections.I passed my IELTS on the 3rd attempt with an average of 8.5 and at least 8 in each section.

In between all of that I tried the Pearson PTE test, but found the computer testing in a small room with everyone talking loudly at the same time impossible and sub standard when it comes to acceptable exam testing conditions to say the least.

Stick with the IELTS - it's a fair and proven system with plenty of prep material online.

Here's what I did to achieve my score :

I used the cambridge IELTS 10 book.
Very concise, with all the information you need to pass the test. Make sure you study everything and do ALL the practice tests.

Subscribed to roadtoielts.com
(official british council practice material). This is excellent for the reading and listening. You can also use it to practice speaking and writing although I used other methods for this. If you need a 7, aim to get at least a 7.5 in the practise tests and you should pass easily with a 7.

I youtube'd lots of IELTS videos.
There's plenty of great material on how to achieve higher scores on writing and speaking. 

For the speaking part, they don't penalise for accents or pronunciation. They focus on fluency and vocabulary. They typically ask different questions, but they ask the same style of questions. Youtube it, and use the roadtoielts site to get an idea of what sorts of questions they ask. Ask your wife to ask these questions to you, record yourself and practice. Make sure you can speak uninterrupted for the time required for each question. Practice, practice, practice.

For the writing, I googled and youtubed lots of writing examples and made sure that I knew what a band 6, 7 and 8 essay looked like. I then focused my vocabulary on the band I was targeting for. Google example essay questions and do lots of essays. 

Good luck. 

I have some older Cambridge pdfs abd audio files - pvt msg me your email and I'll send u the pdfs...files are quite large. I used them and achieved 8s and 9s less than a yr ago.

I managed to get a band score of 9 by going through IELTSliz tutorials and notes. Look for IELTSliz on YouTube. Try and go through all her videos and make notes of what is required for each section. It is a lot to do with memorizing a method in each area in my opinion. She has great tips. Hope you get the score you need!