Nominated occupation: Engineer or IT??

TAI

Question

Hi All.  I am a new member and this is my first post.  

Thank you to all of you for this forum - it's been an amazing read so far!  We're thinking about making a move to Aus but feeling rather (okay, very!) overwhelmed by all the info.  

We're trying to figure out the nominated occupation issue and would really appreciate some advice.  

My husband has a B Eng (Electrical and Electronic) and about 15 years working experience.  He worked in the military industry as an embedded software engineer for the first 5 years and then as a Business Integrator (i.e. half Business Analyst / half Project Manager) for the IT division of a large bank for the next 5 years.  For the most recent 5 years, he has worked as a CIO, managing IT and technology projects for a global company (unfortunately no presence in Aus though!).

In order to get enough points to apply for a 189 visa, we'll need to rely on both the Skilled Employment and Qualifications points.  Herein lies the problem...while his experience over the last 10 years is more IT related, the IT occupations all require an IT degree (only one of his subjects in his whole degree related to IT).  On the other hand, while his degree fits perfectly for the Electrical / Electronics Engineer occupation on the SOL, his working experience over the past 10 years is going to be an issue here as, strictly speaking, it doesn't fall into electrical / electronic engineering.  How do you nominate one ANZSCO code when your qualification and working experience each fall into a different code?  Has anyone else had similar problems?  Or do you think we're over anlaysing this and that we should apply under the Electronic Engineer code and hope that his IT experience will be regarded as a relevant skill?

On a related note, for the purposes of the EOI, he would have to get a signed reference from the company's CEO confirming his title, period of employment, etc, etc.  He's going to have to tell his boss that's we're considering a move but he doesn't feel ready to tell him this given that everything could be rejected.  (It'll also probably affect his bonus which we desperately to need to help fund this little adventure.)

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

6 answers to this question

TAI I am wondering if you can get in touch with one of the registered migration agents on this forum and ask them. They may even reply to this thread but if not they can point you in the right direction.? All the best

@TAI welcome to the forum, glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time with us before you became a member. Now that you can ask questions, I do hope you find many answers here.

You can make contact with either of the two following agents who are members on the forum and kindly assist with questions.

@SD_MOA

@TeeTMI

The first goal is getting an definite assessment. Go the Electrical / Electronics Engineer occupation on the SOL route as its the easiest and gaurenteed. There is a strong match between embedded software systems (algortihms), APIs, networks, gateways, business systems and thus ICT. In fact systems engineering covers both sides of the spectrum. So describe the experienced prior 10 years and mix in the ICT experience, solution architecture, data architecture, governance etc.

Just read an article in the latest Eng Australia magazine "Engineering graduates take offers from left field" where a study from Deaking Uni shows that more than 50% of recent engineering grads working in unrelated engineering fields. About 10% work in non-professional roles and 14% of engineers end up in IT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAI said:

On a related note, for the purposes of the EOI, he would have to get a signed reference from the company's CEO confirming his title, period of employment, etc, etc.  He's going to have to tell his boss that's we're considering a move but he doesn't feel ready to tell him this given that everything could be rejected.

Those type of signed letters are needed for bank loans, credit applications, various professional registrations, a store card at Edgars, car finance and all sorts of other reasons.  I wouldn't tell his work the real reason until it is a done deal.  There is so much that can happen between application and whether or not you get a visa.  Just ask HR for the letter and don't give a reason if you can.  My husband told HR that his wife needed it.  He wasn't entirely sure why but was just being a good husband and doing as he had been asked.  They all had a good laugh and he got his letter.  No further questions asked.

I said the letter was for registration as professional engineer, so I needed the duties. I ended up writing it the way I wanted it, and had the boss sign it...

@Mara and @emmayenkanna thanks for the advice.  We'll get in touch with the recommended agents and see if they can advise us further.

@ottg wow, you just made us feel a whole lot better.  What you've said makes sense to us, let's hope Engineers Australia feels the same.

@RYLC and @PhatMyles thanks also, we'll try a similar approach. Hope our "Edgars" application gets approved!

• Like 1