Pros and cons of living in Brisbane (compared to other cities)

Flitz

Almost every outsider thinks of Australia as being just one big country, all the same.

Actually, each part of Australia is different from the others. Perth feels, looks and the lifestyle is quite different from Melbourne or Sydney, for instance.

There are pros and cons to living in each part of Australia, but the trick is to appreciate what a particular place has to offer.

Brisbane is sub-tropical, like Durban, has around 2 million people, is a thriving place and I like the place to live and visit.

Beaches north and south of the city are beaut, lots to do and see in and around Brisbane . . . . surfing, boating, fishing, 4WDing,

It has an "outdoors" lifestyle which means lots of braais and getting people over for a meal.

Queenslanders are a friendly, relaxed people who are easy to approach and talk to and work alongside.

• Like 1

Apart from the weather conditions, my mantra is always to go where the jobs are, if that happens to be Brisbane or the surrounding area, then you are very fortunate. I would take the time and search http://www.seek.com.au/ for employment opportunities... then go to where the most jobs in your field are advertised... that is the wise thing to do.

• Like 2

We spent 4 years in Melbourne, I have traveled to most of the cities several times now, but for the last few months we have been primarily based out of Brisbane.

So:

I dont miss the Melbourne weather, the weather here is great, there is definately less work available, we have had to make the drive to Sydney a couple of times where i havent had work and something has come up in Sydney.

My verdict will be, the weather is fantastic, the lifestyle and beaches are fantastic, mild winters, buuuuut, there is definately a lot less work around

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

We are looking to move to to Brisbane to be with family.

I am a bit nervous about finding suitable work (in the electronics manufacturing industry) but will have a support system there for our first couple of months.

Edited by rossfamily

@rossfamily I appreciate your support that you have available in Brisbane, but the support will not be worth it, if you cannot find a job there. So please do yourself a favour, as I said in my previous thread, and check where the most job vacancies are in your field, then head that way. Brisbane is not going anywhere, perhaps once here, and having the necessary "Aussie experience" you may even find a job in Brisbane and you can move there.

Believe me, there are many of us that have done that, we started in Brisbane and then moved to Melbourne, for no other reason except the weather. We did not like the humidity!

Adding to this, we spent a year in Brisbane and it was great, however, we have just moved to Sydney because the traveling was killing me and there just wasn't enough work for me in Brisbane

On 11/03/2017 at 11:52 AM, Nev said:

there just wasn't enough work for me in Brisbane

What industry are you in @Nev?

The Microsoft side of the world, Financial systems implementation, trainer, consultant, BI, SQL servers,

I do a fair amount of traveling and still make trips back to Brisbane for work, but only once a month for a few days now