Mechanical Engineer looking in Sydney or Newcastle

wallyengles

Hi all,

We've been in Oz for a little under three months now and I'm trying all avenues.

I have two years of HVAC engineering experience but would be willing to fill any role available.

If you hear of anything please drop me a PM.

I've tried Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane and even Melbourne to an extent. I'd even go as far as Perth.

I'm just trying to get out there in every way possible.

I have a few applications in the air. Some reply within days and others seem to take a good few weeks before anything happens.

I've had it touched up professionally but they didn't do much. I'd researched it fairly extensively and compiled it exactly as they do it anyway.

I'm also attaching short, focussed cover letters that pertain exactly to each job description and requirements.

The limited feedback I've gotten so far was that they'd employed either an internal person, or head hunted directly from the competition. I'm also working through some direct contacts within a company who seem to have a possible position available.

I've had a few phone calls but no solid interview yet.

Everyone I've asked has given a timeline of between three and six months to get a job. The hiring process seems a lot slower here than in SA.

I also get the sense that competition is intense.

That sounds quite tough - I'm really going to have to try and get a job while still in SA. 3-6 Months with 5 mouths to feed is not going to work....

Edited by Atjan
spelling

wally I would definitely get your CV done professionally and not just touched up a bit. It makes a huge difference when your CV sells you to get you in the door. My husband used Roland coombs from itouch professions resumes- recommended by many forumites here. He is not cheap but well worth it in my opinion and if it lands you a job its priceless ? I wish you all the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Odendaal,

I just got back from an interview at a consultancy that I feel went quite well.

Still on the hunt until something final is signed and sealed.

How is it going with you?

• Like 1

@wallyengles Looking at the HVAC association website its concerning that their aren't many events in Sydney area but there is one on 6 April across the road where you are: Kirribilli Club, Lavender Bay. Do whatever it takes to attend this. See if you cannot meetup with potential attendees before the time by asking who will be the sponsors of the event.

http://www.airah.org.au/iMIS15_Prod/AIRAH/Events2/AIRAH_Events/Core/Events/EventsCalendar.aspx?hkey=1b42dd54-052e-4a6c-9359-13f88ad7b1d5

Get yourself a few business cards printed at OfficeWorks with your basic essentials printed BEFORE attending. People dont have the time to write down contact details at these events. DONT hand out your card until asked. If you need tips on networking then PM me for info that helped me. Ask what are their biggest key challenges (they are around the following as I wrote an ebook on this sometime ago):

• New building legislation
  • Sourcing “green” products
  • Supply and delivery of materials
  • Being at the forefront of design trendse
  • Finding skilled labour
  • Sourcing Reliable Contractors
  • Winning Contracts and Tenders

So get your answers workout around these beforehand BUT its about them how can you help them NOT how smart you are. Never ask for a job but rather ask if they know anyone that may employ at the moment. Be nice and even if you are desperate DONT show it!

To start a conversation ask them what motivates them (your ice breaker) and work out some chit chat around this but ask.. ask.. ask without interrogating (fine line). Most important get their contact details and ask permission to start a longterm engagement.

• Awards and recognition
  • Winning prestigious projects
  • Growing a successful business
  • Increasing your earning potential
  • Professional reputation
  • Winning International projects
  • Work –Life balance

Good luck!

Edited by ottg
  • Like 2

Hi OTTG,

Thanks a lot for the info!

I actually landed the job i interviewed for on Thursday!!!

That would mean almost exactly two months since I started intensively looking for work.

Thanks to everyone for the replies!

• Like 5

Congratulations 

Wally, just clarifying it for myself. Did you get a mechanical engineering job in Sydney? Just out of intetest: how big is the company and where about are they located? Surely not close to the centre? Hope it doesnt sound like I prying, I am just interested in migration patterns and many mechanical engineers I know now do other things. 

No problem rozellem!

I am a mechanical engineer but the job isn't in the mechanical field. It's more akin to project and asset management. Handling tender processes, large scale property audits, etc.

It's in the heart of Sydney. So I'm probably joining that group of engineers you mentioned.

• Like 2