Melbourne suburb, and rent

Mel-B

Hi all. A personnel question, but please share with me:

Which suburb you live and how much rent you pay per week? How many bedrooms. Please, trying to understand Melbourne better :)

Hi Mel,

We live in Point Cook, its about 30/40 mins away from the CBD. We have a 4 bed-roomed house and nice garden front and back. Its probably a little too big for us to be honest. We pay 400 a week, but there are many properties in the Point Cook area that are cheaper for around 350 upwards. I like where we stay because its in easy access to shops, library, doctors and train station and very family orientated. Also only 10 mins to the beach.

Hope this helps you a little bit in choosing a suburb :-)

Hi Mel-B

Congratulations!!!! :)

I will be in Melbourne on the 29th March 2016 to start at work on the 1st April 2016 on the 457 VISA. 

I am looking for short term lease myself! I have tried domain.com.au and realestate.com.au. I have looked at Gumtree as well, though not all rented places have enough pictures/photos to make out what the place is like. These have pricey places for a one bedroom unit. I have looked in Melbourne CBD as well which is in high demand and not sure if Estate Agents take me seriously, as I have had no response to inspection dates and times. Along with that, the house and units in Melbourne are soooooooo different from my accustomed  JHB Midrand/ Randburg/ Sunninghill type of townhouse units.

We are in a similar boat, I am also looking for a place for a single female professional close to Melbourne CBD.

Sunbury, you can get a new 3 bed, 2 bath home for around $350

Hi Hope. Check out AirBnB. Short term rentals can be pricey, and estate agents are not what you are used to. There are set times for inspections and you can beg until you are blue, they do not budge. Inspections will be for 10 mins once or twice a week on a property. An "agent" doesn't meet you, more like a door opener. The ones we met couldn't give any info on schools or travel routes or ANY info really. All questions were answered I AM NOT SURE< GOOGLE IT. We only came right when we went to Philip Web (Agency) and presented ourselves, saw the property manager, explained our situation, etc. The rental pack as discussed on this forum is super important. Have it handy with you. Write a little introduction of yourself, add that you have no pets. A copy of our savings in an Oz account, our visa proof, passport, drivers license and bank card copies, etc. We added a photo also. Corny, but def. helps. It seems you almost bid on a property and the owner chooses someone. That is the experience we had. Leave yourself enough time to find a rental, 3 weeks were barely making it for us. Also Melbourne has loads of traffic all day long, if you know where you work, its easier to pick a suburb. The photos are overly pretty. The houses we saw had mold or holes in walls (for real), a really nice one had me excited, and then oh! The wall is falling over... will crush and kill my kids. So ya. Its wicked. There are lovely finds out there, but you need some time and some luck! Oh and register online for inspection times, it will be smsed to you, but every property on its own.

Good luck! Awesome, where will you be working, what will you be doing? Interesting city, LOTS of cultures and a real mish mash of people. :)

• Like 1

Awesome Mara! We loved that view close to your house :) reminded me of the Cape for some reason. My cousin might be moving over and is looking for an out the city suburb, I'm recommending Sunbury to her.

We used to live in Elsternwick in the SE inner suburbs we used to pay approx $380/week rent for a 2 bed flat.

We bought a home in Sunbury - love it here 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hope said:

Hi Mel-B

Congratulations!!!! :)

I will be in Melbourne on the 29th March 2016 to start at work on the 1st April 2016 on the 457 VISA. 

I am looking for short term lease myself! I have tried domain.com.au and realestate.com.au. I have looked at Gumtree as well, though not all rented places have enough pictures/photos to make out what the place is like. These have pricey places for a one bedroom unit. I have looked in Melbourne CBD as well which is in high demand and not sure if Estate Agents take me seriously, as I have had no response to inspection dates and times. Along with that, the house and units in Melbourne are soooooooo different from my accustomed  JHB Midrand/ Randburg/ Sunninghill type of townhouse units.

We are in a similar boat, I am also looking for a place for a single female professional close to Melbourne CBD.

Many of the agencies are only interested once you are here.  I think they only set the inspection times the week before.

I know of a short term studio rental for new arrivals in Moordialloc to far from the train station to get to the CBD- I think it is still $450/wk? PM me if you want details.  

Thanks TeeTMI. though I think I will find something cheaper than $450 and closer to CBD.

The advantage of living farther out of the CBD is cost of rental and quieter suburbs. Personally we didn't want to be too near the city but also didn't want to be too far out either. It all depends where you are going to work, and if you don't mind commuting over an hour a day. I met a Chinese lady who just moved over to Melbourne the other day and she is travelling from Point Cook to Dandenong, a daily commute of 2 hours!!

You might be able to get cheaper accommodation nearer the CBD but might be apartment types and older buildings. We lived in an apartment in Durban and I didn't want that when we moved here. I needed a garden ?

• 1 month later...

I'm also planning to move from the UK to Melbourne soon(the last UK winter finally broke me). Work wise I'm looking at the CBD or eastern suburbs(Clayton, Canterbury, Kew). I am trying to get more  info on the market using the Realestate app which is very good. The problem is you don't know if it is a good neighborhood or not. 

Does anyone know which is good neighborhoods around these areas? We looking for a 3 bed house on a budget of $500 a week. The only nice ones I seen is towards Bayswater/Ringwood. This will involve a bit of travelling to the CBD,Clayton or Caterbury, but a 3 bed in these areas are very expensive. 

59 minutes ago, dif said:

I'm also planning to move from the UK to Melbourne soon(the last UK winter finally broke me). Work wise I'm looking at the CBD or eastern suburbs(Clayton, Canterbury, Kew). I am trying to get more  info on the market using the Realestate app which is very good. The problem is you don't know if it is a good neighborhood or not. 

Does anyone know which is good neighborhoods around these areas? We looking for a 3 bed house on a budget of $500 a week. The only nice ones I seen is towards Bayswater/Ringwood. This will involve a bit of travelling to the CBD,Clayton or Caterbury, but a 3 bed in these areas are very expensive. 

Dif - I suggest you have a look at what has been said on other posts about Melbourne's weather. I have lived in London and Melbourne and can tell you that if you don't like London's weather, Melbourne is going to be a problem as well. Very nice city, not so nice weather.

Yes, had a look, but more the darkness in winter that is a problem. I am used to cold, and think I would struggle in a very warm climate. 

How do you find Australia in comparison to UK? I don't know a lot of people who moved from UK to Aus. The general feeling is, salaries better, living cost higher. But houses certainly cheaper there and from what I've seen, groceries not to bad. Not sure about gas&electricity, council tax, car insurance etc . 

If you are interested in the amount of daylight that you will get, you can easily google how much (and at what times) Melbourne gets daylight. I think it's like Cape Town?
Ok....London is 51°N, Cape Town is 33°S and Melbourne is 37°S, so if you know a bit about geography, that will tell you everything about the relative amounts of daylight you can expect. ;) 

Thank you RedPanda. Never heard of this Google(?) thing, I'll look them up in Yellow pages? . Been to Melbourne few times, familiar with weather. I liked it there a lot, and although property expensive, still lot cheaper than over here. Was just wondering how living cost compare to UK. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dif said:

Never heard of this Google(?) thing, I'll look them up in Yellow pages?

Sounds like to guy who went to his local library to borrow FaceBook :-)

• Like 1

On 3/1/2016 at 10:49 AM, Mel-B said:

trying to understand Melbourne better

If you read carefully the answers already given you will note them in a very disguised manner (tongue in the cheek) eg

On 3/2/2016 at 5:17 PM, Hope said:

units in Melbourne are soooooooo different from my accustomed

On 3/2/2016 at 7:11 PM, Mel-B said:

An "agent" doesn't meet you,

Welcome to Australia! There are three rules that really helped me a lot:

• Stop converting
  • Stop comparing
  • Stop expecting intense customer services - it doesn't exist because nobody cares or pays for it!
  • Having patience and lots of it helps!! (If you from Cape Town you should be OK but when from Gaunteng you may find it very difficult)

Everything is about "self help" The acronym KISS is not meant for the customer but for the service provider.

So in order to help you better with your question: use Google map to get an overview of the different suburbs, areas, where they border, distances to the CBD or your work place. Pick a view names then:

Find everything about your community profile in Melbourne; including population, age structure, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, income, qualifications, occupations, employment, unemployment, disability, disadvantage, volunteering, childcare, family structure, household structure, housing tenure, mortgage and rental payments, and the size and type of the dwellings people live in.

http://profile.id.com.au/australia/about?WebID=260

But you need to drill down to suburb areas

http://profile.id.com.au/

If you need to know what are the most popular dwelling types on the market? Hoover with your cursor over "Category" you can get an indication of the number of which dwelling types on the market.

http://www.suburbview.com/view/VIC/Melbourne/3000

A high vacancy rate gives an indication where an oversupply of rentals are and you can obtain a rental quicker. But you need to drill down into each suburb individually

http://www.sqmresearch.com.au/graph_vacancy.php?region=vic%3A%3AMelbourne&type=c&t=1

Unfortunately your estate agent wont have these details. Enjoy the journey of self discovery!!

• Like 5

Hi Mel-B,

We are in North Balwyn and we don't rent but I would say that a 3 bedroom house would set you back anywhere from $600pw (for very basic) right up to $2000 (for very flash). 

@ottg, woah, I love the data! Just requested a report on Belgrave-Selby, will see what it spits out. Thanks for the links. :) 

• 1 month later...

Renting in Brighton East with friends currently. 2 Bedroom, 2 Bathroom. minute garden for $525 a week - extremely cheap for the area. You can expect to pay $600+ usually for a small place.

Sunbury....still love it, still recommend it....

• Like 2

We have settled in Doncaster, and really enjoying it. We walk to school, through a reserve and a park. We have the coolest neighbours! We are in a block of 3 townhouses - owned by one family - and twin brothers live in units 1 and 2 (with their families) and us in unit 3. They are great people, and make us feel very welcome, things worked out nicely for us here. :) Our unit has a bay window with a fantastic view and I enjoy the sunrise and sunset every single day. There are hot air balloons that pass us by on good weather days, and it is exciting every single time we spot them. Love the little details that makes everyday such a blessing!

• Like 1

Sunbury you could rent a 4-bedroom new house, 2-bathrooms, lounge, family room, dining-room kitchen and double garage, from around $350 per week.

@Mel-B Now that I know that, you live in Doncaster... I can come and stalk you... but could you PM me me your address and phone number... then I do not have to work so hard, see, I often come to Bundoora, my doctors are all there, so it is not a problem to travel a little further and catch up with you!

• Like 1