DONCASTER PRIMARY SCHOOL - HELP?!

Mel-B

Hi guys. So for a LONG time we fantasized about living in Eltham. Got here, and there are literally 3 rentals that suit us, from 2 agents, neither one answering their phones or emails. SIGH.

So being a big believer in fate and signs and following the path life throws at you, we are on plan B. DONCASTER. Never thought we could afford it, but finding some rentals that are options. So on to the big question: schools?

Many schools, some ranked hot, some not. My first concern is whether these rankings mean anything. 2nd is the amount of Asians, no problem with them, just worried my girl will be not one of them and alone, NO CLUE if they will play with her, at the parks so far they have not. 3rd. is there anyone here with experience of any of the public primary schools in the area? Doncaster Primary school is close to the bus stops, and the mall, so an "easy" area to start off in with many rentals. But the school seems to have a lot of kids, half speaking another language than English. Please give me some pointers how to navigate this decision? Feeling immense pressure, we have to choose a rental ASAP.

@Mel-B Not sure if this is going to help you, but my son's step-daughters all went to Serpell Primary in Templestowe. All I ever heard from them was praise for the school. I must also say that this is some years ago, the kids are all through university now. Not sure if it is still the same or if it has changed much.

I know a few families that have children who attend Serpell Primary.  From what I've heard, it's a great school with a big emphasis on academics. 

• 2 months later...

Mel B - where did you end up sending your kids to school? 

We coming in Oct to have another look / see and thought i should visit some schools

We ended up at Birrilee Primary. Its a small school (350 kids more or less?) but kiddo is happy, facilities seem good, LOTS of activities, every week they do something new or exciting, artists visit the school and dance or talk to them, last week they did cross country running, this week they are all off camping, for PE they do gymnastics, last term it was tennis. They do Mandarin, and art, computer - and my girl is in grade 3.

Ive heard excellent things about Serpell Primary and I know a family with a daughter in Doncaster Primary who are very happy also - this one is very big and Serpell even more so. You have to make an appointment to see them, although the ones we saw were very accommodating, also take note that most are zoned especially the fuller ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on Serpell Primary website and they mention that you have to be within the ' city of Manningham boundry'  in order to apply for 2017 enrolment. Do you know if Doncaster falls within the feeder area?

Have you had any feedback on this school?

Thanks

@Leighann    Here is a link for you to show that Doncaster does fall within the Manningham area...and you can also see what other suburbs are:

http://profile.id.com.au/manningham/about