Living with Less

AFreshStart

I arrived in Australia almost 2 months ago after paring down to 2 bags. Fairly large bags, to be fair, and I have left a plastic crate of essentials behind to be dealt with later, but that was it. There is no container on the way. It was truly one of the most liberating experiences I have ever had. I'm now finding it difficult to kit out my apartment, as I seem to have developed an aversion to buying new stuff. I do miss having a couch to blurg out on, though - I'm afraid that is definitely on the list of must-haves.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, doggit said:

I arrived in Australia almost 2 months ago after paring down to 2 bags. Fairly large bags, to be fair, and I have left a plastic crate of essentials behind to be dealt with later, but that was it. There is no container on the way. It was truly one of the most liberating experiences I have ever had. I'm now finding it difficult to kit out my apartment, as I seem to have developed an aversion to buying new stuff. I do miss having a couch to blurg out on, though - I'm afraid that is definitely on the list of must-haves.

A couch was the FIRST thing we bought, a 3-seater that doubles as a pull out sofa for guests. The couch (or sofa as they tend to call it here), along with a single small armchair, rug, sidetable and TV unit comprise the contents of our livingroom. Our sidetable is a multi-functional piece that acts as a tray, side table and occasional stool.

We've just watched this documentary "All I Need" on now this all relates to the "Australian Dream", it's interesting to see it from a local perspective. It's on catch up on 7, you can see it here if you want for another 12-days.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 2

The opportunity presented by the process of immigration to reassess what you need vs what you want really should be embraced, and living with less is fabulous.

We sold / donated everything electrical and 90% of our furniture. We kept a handful of smaller items that were multipurpose . Books are our weakness, so those were packed and shipped, along with pictures, serving ware , baking stuff. As we went groupage, we are still waiting for it, and apart from my arsenal of baking trays and tins, we haven't actually missed any of it.

We went from a 186 square meter house on a large erf, to a 55 meter square apartment with a 14 square meter balcony, and love it. We bought the basics for what we needed for us to get through daily life, and it works.  We have had to get creative with how we use the space, and storage, and it's fun finding solutions.

We had done our own housework for years in RSA, so having a smaller space to clean is a dream. I never had time to keep the veggie patch going back in RSA, but now I have vertical planters filled with herbs and some spinach growing, albeit a challenge in the wind and shade we have.

We are just so much more free to enjoy life now without the clutter of things.

Whilst I love the home decor shops here, and do drool over their contents, I have yet to go on a shopping spree. I have lost the need to surround myself with lots of "shinies" as I call them. Instead, I am more fulfilled by walking down to watch the sunset over the local sailing club, or eating gelato with friends, watching the

SUPers glide over the Bay.....

• Like 8

We're going through this process as we speak. We've already sold a ton of our furniture (and both cars) to the people buying our house. The rest will go over the next month or so, with the exception of our most special books (high five, Em), which will fill a few boxes, most special kitchen goods like some of our Scanpan pans and trays, and two pieces of wooden furniture: a wide hallway stand that is home to a small but precious collection of decanters and drinking glasses, and a very special oversized magazine stand. Other than that, our clothes, our two dogs, and ourselves (with some $$$), we'll be taking nothing else over.

2j1wims.jpg

Edited by mistermoose
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, AFreshStart said:

If you're familiar with my posts you'll know I often share that we "live with less" since moving to Australia.

It's a journey we started a few years ago, pairing down considerably after investigating Minimalism.

We've sold, donated and recycled more than 80% of our possessions and have further reduced them in making the move here. We traded a 3-bedroom house with front and back yards and 2 cars in the Southern Suburbs of Cape Town for a 2-bedroom apartment in the City with 1 car, with 2 kids.

I know when people hear Minimalism they often think stark, empty rooms devoid of soul or character or drab utilitarian items much like the shaker movement. Minimalism looks different for each person/family and I don't think it's a prescriptive term, a "one size fits all", but there is a underlying theme for those that follow it - "choosing less". Trading "things" for moments (time). It's choosing to be a conscious consumer over a passive one.

As a society we are working harder, longer hours and on this constant treadmill to "Keep up with the Joneses". We're becoming HEAVILY in debt because of it, this condition has been referred to as "Affluenza" - a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety, and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more.

It stems from the fear and belief that we live from scarcity rather than from abundance, from a desire for more rather than expressing daily gratitude for what we have.

In choosing to live in a smaller home we've experienced the following byproducts for ourselves as outlined by fellow Minimalist, Joshua Becker

1. Easier to maintain. Anyone who has owned a house knows the amount of time, energy, and effort to maintain it. All things being equal, a smaller home requires less of your time, energy, and effort to accomplish that task.
  2. Less time spent cleaning. And that should be reason enough…
  3. Less expensive. Smaller homes are less expensive to purchase and less expensive to keep (insurance, taxes, heating, cooling, electricity, etc.).
  4. Less debt and less risk. Dozens of on-line calculators will help you determine “how much house you can afford.” These formulas are based on net income, savings, current debt, and monthly mortgage payments. They are also based on the premise that we should spend “28% of our net income on our monthly mortgage payments.” But if we can be more financially stable and happier by only spending 15%… then why would we ever choose to spend 28?
  5. Mentally Freeing. As is the case with all of our possessions, the more we own, the more they own us. And the more stuff we own, the more mental energy is held hostage by them. The same is absolutely true with our largest, most valuable asset. Buy small and free your mind.
  6. Less environmental impact. A smaller home requires less resources to build and less resources to maintain. And that benefits all of us.
  7. More time. Many of the benefits above (less cleaning, less maintaining, mental freedom) result in the freeing up of our schedule to pursue the things in life that really matter – whatever you want that to be.
  8. Encourages family bonding. A smaller home results in more social interaction among the members of the family. And while this may be the reason that some people purchase bigger homes, I think just the opposite should be true.
  9. Forces you to remove baggage. Moving into a smaller home forces you to intentionally pare down your belongings.
  10. Less temptation to accumulate. If you don’t have any room in your house for that new treadmill, you’ll be less tempted to buy it in the first place (no offense to those of you who own a treadmill… and actually use it).
  11. Less decorating. While some people love the idea of choosing wall color, carpet color, furniture, window treatments, decorations, and light fixtures for dozens of rooms, I don’t.
  12. Wider market to sell. By its very definition, a smaller, more affordable house is affordable to a larger percentage of the population than a more expensive, less affordable one.

As many of you chose to move here, and to those that are already here, think about these things. What are you chasing after? Is the busyness, the endless cycle in the pursuit of more somewhat self-inflicted? You have the power to change it by re-framing your NEEDS vs your WANTS, especially moving to a country where the currency conversion is NOT in your favour, rather than trying to recreate the life you had, use the opportunity to start over.

In closing, a few parting words from a documentary that comes out in May on Minimalism that expands on it a bit more.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt for those valuable words and the video.

• Like 1

Thanks Matt, this is exactly how I feel about this process - it is a chance to become unencumbered by stuff. We have a gorgeous house on 2 ha and while I adore the house and have been very happy living here I feel as though the house owns us and not the other way around.

When we get to Australia we will definitely be downsizing massively. I am already finding it pretty interesting walking from room to room and seeing how little I would actually bring over - but I am sure we will end up with a container as the rest of my family doesn't necessarily feel the same way.

• Like 3

We've done the leap 12 years ago and it was such a journey (over time)  going from the "have it alls" to the "don't need it at alls" - our life is filled with people, travel & experiences. No one cares what you have. For some, this is a mind-shift not easily obtained, but once you get to that realisation, you're so much richer for it!  Less is truly more!

• Like 9

Aaaaaaaaah, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!! I'm desperate to have no more "stuff". Unfortunately my husband keeps accumulating more stuff which will need to be sold or donated in what we are still hoping, will be a few weeks time.

BRING ON THE VISA PLEASE!!!!!!!!  I can't wait anymore.  I almost think our shiny new bags will be too big for the amount of stuff I plan to pack :)

• Like 1

You are in my thoughts @TinaB did you may call dibp just to check what's causing the delay?

I sort of think the agent we have paid about R80K to should be making that call :)  I have really been so happy with the agents up until this point.  I think they are as clueless as we are regarding the delays so they are just keeping a low profile with me for now. 

That's alot of money, if they won't call rather call them yourself 

• 11 months later...

I know this post is over a year old but I was really overjoyed to see it!! My family and I have just started this exact journey. We have been living here for just over 7 months and we did bring the container with all our "Stuff" when we first arrived!! We also moved into the traditional house and did things similar to back home.

However we have now been exploring the concepts of simplification, sustainable energy and the different options available. We have decided to sell almost half of our stuff (and will donate etc what we can't sell) to reduce our "stuff". Concepts like shared spaces (which we just didn't think would work and didn't understand back home) now have new meaning. We have also decided that when our lease for this property is up in a few months we are going to rent a place with a much smaller footprint! 

This is not about affordability (although you do save cash doing it), or less just for the sake of less -  its about sensibility and about truly living a life with meaning.  Like someone above said "fill your life with people, relationships and experiences rather than with stuff!" Our new motto is "if you haven't used it for more than six months it goes" and more tough but just as necessary "if having it creates any sense of comfort, status or dependence it goes"- this last one is because our view has become "we have things because they serve a purpose, things should never have or own us" - so even the few things we decide to keep should perform a function and should be there because they add value (memories and keep sakes also = value but in moderation :) ) 

I wish I had found this stuff out 20 years ago, or that someone had sat me down and explained about why consumerism not the right economic model. But I guess its never to late to change/learn :)  This country, combined with advances in technology have really made this possible/easier. I say this country because anyone has access to parks, pools, gyms, cycling areas, BBQ's etc so you don't need to create all that space for yourself. We like privacy, but no longer need to have every facility at our house. I say technology because if you look at energy as one element of the equation it is really possible to get off grid completely with out incurring to much cost.

This video really got my attention. I am not suggesting that we should all move to a 20 sqm house on the back of someones farm, but the concepts that are explored and the philosophy that is embraced here is very interesting. This is an example of people who can afford to live much bigger, but choose to live way less - true freedom and liberty.

Edited by Lion King
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

This might be an old topic, but it is certainly a good one.  If I am able to come right in getting a visa, I will most certainly be downsizing.  It's an opportunity for a fresh start. I find the possibility of making a new start in a new country with new ideals, positively liberating.  

• Like 2

@JulesR

A lot of this is two things... the cost of living in the big cities is quite high, but the public facilities are great.

Sydney and Melbourne are quite built up. There are some lovely suburbs close to the CBD in Sydney... e.g. Pyrmont or Surry Hills. But renting an apartment there is over $500 per week. Its a few hundred more a month if you want a garage.

So you learn to use shared car facilities, like Go Get. You take your mates down to the park for a picknick instead of hanging around in your tiny apartment. You walk to the shops or catch a bus to go places. The shared car is only for things lilke when you buy a TV and need to get it home. You take a 20 minute walk accross the Pyrmont Brigde each day into the city where you work. There are lots of pubs in Pyrmont, great restaurants in the CBD, great coffee shops all over. 

I know a lot of people who live this way and love it. 

The down side is things like you often have to wait 15 minutes for a bus. You have to walk your kids down to the park each day for them to play (as you have no back yard). Its also very expensive to live near the city... so living with less often costs more. The up side is you don't spend an hour on a train getting home, you take a brisk walk home or a 10 minute bus trip.

It is definately an exciting new way of living if you are new in Aussie and want to try something completely different! its very different to suburbia.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, monsta said:

Its also very expensive to live near the city... so living with less often costs more. The up side is you don't spend an hour on a train getting home, you take a brisk walk home or a 10 minute bus trip.

@monsta

You need to work out what your time is worth to you, put a figure on it.

If you don't, or place a low value on it, then yes, it may well be more "expensive".

Though once you start to put a figure on it spending an hour or more in traffic each way may cost more than the added increase in rent  per week to live closer to work, the community you find yourself a part of and doing the things you hold dear.

Moving an hour away might mean getting a bigger home, but adds (in our case) $47 a day in tolls, petrol, 2-hours in traffic and a loss of valuable productive time (because you are having to be alert and aware while driving), not to mention quality family time.

In our case we'd not be gaining more, but getting less for our money in making such a move.

There are other advantages as well.

Being in an affluent area with good employment prospects tends to provide premium amenities to the community, my son's school for example had a $7 million injection this year thank to Lord Mayor Moore.

Computer labs in all of the classes, access to a full music school, band room, sports grounds, personal trainers, he even received his own Surface tablet this year... in Grade 2.

The cost of this to us? A whopping $350 a year in "fees", which is a donation as it's a public school.

It's always going to be about compromises/choices.

At the end of the day though it's knowing what your time is worth to you and what it buys you, not putting a dollar amount on it will scew your perspective on what's affordable or not.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 2

Totally agree with everything about this. I really believe the more stuff you own, the less happy you are. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

@Clauderoy - I thought you might enjoy this post.

When we moved from SA I thought I did fairly well in downsizing. How naïve I was! I had still hung on to so much stuff, things I don't use/didn't like etc... I am now clearing out on a VERY large scale and have several rules:

1. If I haven't used it in the last year it's got to go.

2. If it doesn't fit donate it rather than trying to force the issue.

3. Don't keep multiple items of things you already have.

4. If it collects dust and doesn't serve a purpose, it's just something else to clean and I want to spend my time with my family, not with a feather duster.

5. How many pairs of shoes / jeans / jackets etc. do you really need?

6. Make an inventory of your house (every room, every drawer and cupboard) and you will get a feel for the scale of the stuff you own. It's gluttonous!

7. Let go of the sentimentality, get rid of the gift that "insert name" gave you that you don't like/don't use/have three of/got as a wedding present...

8. All those items related to that hobby you once did that you know you will not go back to, get rid of them.

9. BE GONE IKEA!!  I would much rather buy a second hand piece of quality furniture than IKEA (man alive I hate IKEA :censored:)

I grew up with 2 hoarders (both deny that) who refuse to leave a 5 bedroom house in JHB, with double volume dining room and three lounges because they are unable/unwilling to part with their stuff.

“The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.” Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club  

• Like 2

I’d like to put in a word for the silent accumulators.

After 24 years in Oz with 2 kids now 19 and 24, and running a business from our home, we’ve accumulated quite a lot of stuff. This includes bicycles, books, electronics, furniture, kitchen pots and pans and appliances, old paint, R/C toys, gym equipment, clothes, kid’s school stuff.

We do an annual clean out but we’ve got a long way to go. We’ve digitised 50 boxes of papers some of which were 40 years old. 

That’s OK, it makes us feel home and comfortable. When the kids move out and we decide to downsize, we’ll get rid of a lot with the help of Airtaskers. Until then, I’m going to look at stuff in my cupboards and shed and say to myself:

“I am monarch of all I survey, 
My right there is none to dispute,
From the centre all round to the sea,
I am lord of the fowl and the brute.
O solitude! Where are the charms
That sages have seen in thy face?
Better dwell in the midst of alarms,
Than reign in this horrible place..”

• Haha 1

Currently packing up our life in SA, at this stage I have only 2 x big suitcases which I will be taking over. (The wife obviously has much more ;))

I have hobby items which will be shipped later when we have settled. (fishing, cricket, etc)

All the other stuff will be sold or donated.

I like the idea of starting over, buying items when the need arises instead of having 3 generations of hand me down items in our house which we never use.

+ it is a nice feeling to donate items to people that would use it, I donated a complete poker set which we never used in 5 years to an old age home, now they can play poker every day which is probably the highlight of their day.

• Like 3