How does it work?

Odendaal

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance regarding this.

I have been applying for process engineering (graduate) jobs like crazy while we wait to leave SA (we leave on 5 March 2016) and I got an unexpected call (in the early hours of this morning!) from the one company that I have my heart set on. It was just a first stage interview (where did you work last, tell us why you want to work here, tell us of a time blah blah...). And then they said that they will do some shortlisting and get back to me next week. Needless to say I was incredibly nervous and stuttered a bit since I wasn't really prepared for a call like this but I did my best of course.

So my question is - How excited should I be? Is this a good sign? generally speaking, how many more interviews can I expect? Also, what if they want to interview me face to face and I'm still in SA (are skype interviews a norm or will they just dismiss my application). As I am sure you can tell, I'm in a tizz lol. 

Mel

• Like 1

Mel, at least they made the effort to call you, that would be a good sign to start with. I have read of many that have had skype interviews. The Aussies can often take their time to make a decision,  so I would say just relax and go with the flow!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

I'd say a call-back is certainly better than nothing! I'll hold thumbs for you!

• Like 1

Any contact from a prospective employer is good news - well done.

However the question should be what can you do from your side now to be the preferred candidate.

Send a thank you letter to the person who called you.

While we intend to keep letters very formal, I would suggest writing it in the 1st person and from your heart - the reader can feel that.

Then say you will followup with a call say in 2 weeks just in case they should have more questions. Then do it! Use a lame excuse to keep the verbal communication channel open. Keep doing that until they say they have made a selection......you have nothing to loose only to gain!

• Like 4

Ottg has given you very sound advice, do follow it!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies and good wishes and thank you @ottg for the tip - luckily I sent them a letter as soon as I got into the office!

"Good day, 

I would like to use this opportunity to thank you for speaking with me regarding the position of process engineer (492309). As I expressed in our discussion, I am very interested in this position and feel that using my experience and passion, I could really contribute to XXX. 

I hope to hear from you soon."

I'll follow up with a call as you suggested if I haven't heard from them.

I'll keep you guys posted!
Edited by Odendaal
Free advertising
  • Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, just to give you an update

I have done a lot of searching and applying and then after a while applying for jobs that I could (maybe) be qualified for (haha), I went for an interview yesterday and got the job on the same day (what a relief!). This is not the same job that I discussed before - they didn't call me back. My husband is still looking however, it's a relief that at least one of us is employed now.

The job is in Laverton north and at the moment I get "mate-rates" by living with my brother in Oakleigh but the commute from Oakleigh to Laverton north is ungodly to say the least - it took be about 2 hours this morning. 

Can anyone give me some advice? Should we move closer or perhaps just buy a car and drive to work every day? 

Thanks for being such a great group of forumites! 

• Like 2

Congratulations on the job, that is great news.

• Like 1

Congrats on the job! Wow...I've just looked it up in Google Maps, that is quite a distance.... I'm sure @emmayenkanna will be able to encourage you to go live in Point Cook, hehe...she's commented on liking the area a lot.

• Like 1

But I guess it will depend on where hubby finds work?

• Like 1

Hi all, and thanks for the well wishes!

We are waiting for hubby to get a job then we look at relocating and/or buying a car. I am car pooling with someone at work at the moment so travelling will not be as hectic.

Google map shows 31km at 28min by car.

Travelling 31km to work is not far and uncommon. However by train it adds 2.5 days to your working week :-(

How busy is the M1? As here in Perth the highway is a nightmare depending on how early of late the journey starts. I guess its worse at your end!

To state the obvious; the nearer to work the less stress.... but the nearer to the CBD the more expensive your stay!

If you are working in Laverton North then I would definitely suggest you looking at the Point Cook area or Altona. My husband plays social soccer in Laverton and it takes around 10 mins by car. If travelling via train Laverton station is the second stop from Williams landing so its also near. Its great that you wont have to commute very far, commuting can take its toll on you after a while.

If you need any information on Point Cook or Altona just pm me. Always happy to help where I can. ?

All the best

Emma

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, just an update:

As some of you might know, I'm currently working in the steel fabrication/construction industry as a quality controller for a company that pays really well but is understaffed thus a lot of pressure and consequences (shouting and crude language) when things go wrong. I don't enjoy the working environment and I don't enjoy construction for many reasons so I would like out.

So I am in the final stages of securing employment (hope I am not jinxing it!) as a QC person for a market leader in industrial and agricultural packaging supplier (think plastics and cling wraps). The position is located closer to us (northern suburbs) and I would be required to tasks that range from conducting regualr internal audits (ISO 9001) to testing of daily production and dealing with customer complaints and returns. It seems like a good opportunity since I'll be going back to my roots of lab work and investigative research. Also, it's a less stressful environment. BUT the salary is less :/

My question and I would really appreciate some guidance: I am scared to leave the industry (metals) and go into plastics - Am I making a mistake for the long run? Then of course, there's the salary. Honestly what they are willing to pay is what a graduate gets so it is reasonable. The salary I get now is due to the fact that my employer pays people really well so that they stay (basically trapped) regardless of how tough it gets. Just a note as well, the new position and my current position are both permanent.

As you can see - I am scared and confused.

Thoughts?

ps thank you

Edited by Odendaal
Edit, I have been approved for the job - now I need to make the decision :/

No advice from me just wanted to congratulate you on getting the job, you go girl :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hey @Odendaal! Congratulations on the new job offer, it is always a great feeling to hear you were selected. Must also congratulate you for realising why your current employer pays so well is to keep people there despite a toxic work environment! Think most people just tend to accept the money and ignore the rest.

Cant tell you which job to take but I suggest you grab a cup of coffee, sit down and make a little list of both jobs pros and cons. Must say, I quite like the new job that will require you to conduct ISO 9001 audits simply because working in an environment that enforces standards tends to be more organised. Also, having experience in a ISO standard never hurts you when you decide to move to the next opportunity :)

Good luck, I don’t think its ever a really simple decision (emotionally at least)

• Like 1

Thanks so much @CyberJoe! Well yes, basically what happens is I am just hanging on, tolerating Monday through Friday, and spending the weekend detoxifying emotionally and mentally - not a good way to live and you only live once!

Yea ISO 9001 is really valuable experience and can be applied in any industry so that is a plus. The new job is a lot calmer and organised. @ottg can I ask you to lend some wisdom please :rolleyes:

I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again.

17 hours ago, Odendaal said:

leave the industry (metals) and go into plastics

A few thoughts based on your comments:

If you google new materials of the future, metals doesn't feature at all - so this may be a misplaced concern. (However 3-D printing is getting bigger eg recently the 3-D printed motorcyle frame by Airbus is made from a proprietary aluminum alloy and as strong as titanium).

Salary: It sounds if you are currently paid above average. If you move on the pay will be more inline with the industry - so you dont sacrifice anything really.

Sanity: cannot put a $ value of this thus its priceless. Moving to your new job means you get sanity and a life

Travel time: Add all the travel time together that you will save and add that to your salary

17 hours ago, Odendaal said:

conducting regualr internal audits (ISO 9001) to testing of daily production and dealing with customer complaints and returns.

Those QA experience is transferable to many other industries. Thus it sounds like a good move.

Lastly invest $ early and let those $ work for you while negative gearing is still deductible.

Good luck!

Edited by ottg
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice Ottg - really appreciate it. It's not a huge decrease in salary and as you say, as long as it's in line with the industry then it's ok. I'm really looking forward to it now!

I have decided to take the job and gave my notice in today! Last working day here is this Friday :) 

• Like 3