We have to go!

MelanieW

Hi all.

What an awesome forum! I feel priviledged to be part of it. Thank you.

By means of introduction allow me to give some background. My hubby and I have 3 kids ages 17, 15 and 7.  8 years ago we started the process to move to Australia. Our points at that stage were very high, and I think it would have been very easy to get a PR visa. However, just before we submitted the visa application I fell pregnant and got cold feet.  ?

My eldest daughter is in matric this year.  When we had to decide which university to send her to, we came to the realisation that there is not a single university in SA that we feel 100% comfortable with.  So we came to the conclusion that we have but only one choice and that is to leave our beloved home country.

Things aren't as clear cut now as it was 8 years ago. My hubby, an Engineer, turns 45 on 1 June. If we assume that he will get a score of 7 for IELTS like he did 8 years ago, and we also assess my skills ( I'm a CA) then he will have 60 points.  Same goes for me, I however have 2 more years before the 45 mark.  From what I've heard it would be much easier to get an invite for an Engineer with 60 points, so we would like to try and get everything done before his birthday (a long shot I know).

My other concern at the moment is the uncertainty of where we will end up.  This is a major concern as it will influance our decision on which university to apply for.  I do not know yet when the applications for Australian universities closes!?  Plus if we apply now it will have to be as foreign student, but we really hope and pray to have our PR in time to pay the lower rates. I am also not certain if it would be easy to convert from foreign student to local student after your applications was approved? 

So many questions... So few answers.... 

@MelanieW I would suggest that you search on http://www.seek.com.au/

Check where the most jobs are for you and hubby, then concentrate your search for universities around that.

Why don't you apply as the main applicant? Have they taken the accountants off the skills list - I know there was talk of it? My husband is also an engineer, but we decided I would be the main applicant because while he had both the qualifications & experience, age was against him. I had all three (also a CA), so we got the PR, and it really doesn't matter who the main applicant is as long as you get in. 

• Like 1

@Pell. The main reason is because you need more points to get invited as an accountant.  If I get 7s for ielts then I will only have 60 points on my name. Currently not enough for an invite. ?