malikes09

Hi everyone

So my partner and I are finally starting the process to emigrate to Australia. We will be going on a work visa in his name with our 15 month old son.

I've just gone through the 100 step process post and wow it's a lot. I'm so excited but it's very daunting as well.

What we're trying to work out now is where we will stay when we get there. We will be moving to Melbourne. Can anyone recommend a process or company that will assist with finding a place to rent? My partner wants to go ahead of us and get a place organised but I really don't want him to be away from our son for very long so the more we can arrange while we are still here, the better. We are aiming to leave in June this year if all goes according to plan.

Also, how does the process work for schools there? Here we have to apply years beforehand. Is there a site somewhere with a list of schools?

Sorry if any of these questions are silly.

Any other tips, info, advice is also welcome!

Thanks and good luck to everyone doing this!

P.S one last thing- we are going as de facto partners. We live together and have our son but we are not married. Any advice or anything that we need to be aware of that could cause problems in terms of the 457 visa?

• Like 1

Welcome!

I am very sure that all your questions will be answered soon but I can help you with the de facto part:

https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/fact-sheets/35relationship

http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-immigration/2997-very-unofficial-defacto-visa-tips.html

The crux of proving a de facto relationship is solid proof that you have been living (co-habitation) with him for more than 12 months. Happy reading!

Edited by Odendaal
  • Like 1

Malikes09, what suburb in Melbourne will your partner be working, then it will be much easier to give you advice. Melbourne is a huge city, so being as close to work as possible is always a bonus.

• Like 1

Malikes I wouldn't worry so much about getting your child into school. Here schools are strictly zoned which means that you have to attend a school in that particular zoned area of that suburb. The nice thing is, is that the school has to take your child. So that's one less thing to worry about. Your son is only 15 months old though so you have a long time to think about what school he will attend.

Kids start kindergarten here at four years old, the year before they start school. Some children may be eligible for kinder earlier at three. The enrolment officers will be able to tell you. Make sure you have your vaccination card with you. My son is four and although he was upto date with his shots in SA he still needed 3 more here. Without them they wont give you the status certificate that the school needs for enrolment of your child. Vaccinations are free and you can find out about them from your local council or Community Centres.

As regards accommodation, we stayed with friends for 3 weeks until we got our own place.But if you want something temporary maybe try airbnb or look at Mara's sticky thread on Melbourne for accommodation ideas. We stay in Point Cook just 30 mins by train to CBD, rentals you can get from R350 per week upwards depending on your budget. It all depends though where you are likely to find work. If you need any more info feel free to send me a pm.? All the Best

Edited by Guest
added "per week" after rental of $350.

15 hours ago, emmayenkanna said:

As regards accommodation, we stayed with friends for 3 weeks until we got our own place.But if you want something temporary maybe try airbnb or look at Maras sticky thread on Melbourne for accommodation ideas. We stay in Point Cook just 30 mins by train to CBD, rentals you can get from R350 upwards depending on your budget. It all depends though where you are likely to find work. If you need any more info feel free to send me a pm.? All the Best

Sorry, 350AUD per week? (just checking)

• Like 1

Red Panda, I have corrected Emma's message to show the per week! Sheesh, it would be wonderful if it was $350 per month!

• Like 1

Sorry guys I thought I put per week. I think 350 a week is Really affordable though especially compared to what others are paying. As I said all depends on your budget and your own circumstances. ? Thankyou for correcting Mara.

Thanks so much for all the info everyone! We are hoping to stay close to friends who are currently staying in Baronia (think that's how it's spelt). So would be grateful for any suggestions for that area or somewhere around there.

You said your partner will be going on a work visa, that makes me think he already has a job. If that is the case then you need to tell us what suburb he will be working in, because then we can advise you. You see , if he is to work in say, Laverton, then there is no way that you can live near your friend in Boronia, as it would take him around 1,5hrs one way, for the journey. Remember Melbourne is a huge city, built around a bay, so traveling from one side of the city to the other, can be very time consumimg.

• Like 1

Yes he does have a job but he will be working from home so he's said he'd prefer to be near Boronia (thanks for the correct spelling :)) so he doesn't need to worry about travelling to and from work every day.

Thanks so much for your help!

@malikes09

Well in that case it changes the situation, you are extremely fortunate. If you google for a map of "boronia victoria" you can choose Boronia, or any suburb around it, they are all lovely!

Edited by Mara